Favorite Commercial Blends

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
boldstep

Favorite Commercial Blends

Post by boldstep »

Looking through the coffee bean topics I noticed that there aren't a lot of posts about favorite commercial blends. I would love to know what people are drinking out there! I know a bunch of you roast and perhaps do that exclusively but not having gone that route myself yet (no room in my condo), I find myself often being disappointed with the blends I try out there. Occasionally I get lucky but there is a lot of trial and error, hence the question! I'll kick off the topic by listing my favorites, where you can buy them and how I prepare them. In general I look for full-bodied coffee that doesn't bite and has complexity or layers. Chocolate undertones (and overtones!) is a particular favorite of mine. Here are my current favorites:

1- Dark Sicilian Gold from Cafe Roma. At 93 C with 1.5 oz in 27 seconds this is awesome
2- "The Boss" from Barefoot Roasters. Love this as 93 C with 1-1.5 oz in 27 seconds
Niko

Post by Niko »

As always, I'll throw Hairbender in there from Stumptown :wink:
93C is a happy number for this one.
Other than my once a year purchase of this, I roast my own 99% of time.
boldstep

Post by boldstep »

Thanks Niko - will give that bean a try. I guess most people out there are home roasting...?

Jason
bluesman13

Post by bluesman13 »

I don't roast, but I do use these "commerically available espresso blends (as well as any others that are recommended):

Barefoot Roasters "sweetness" blend
Intelligentsia "Black Cat" blend
Paradise Roasters "Classico" or "Nuevo"
Coffee Klatch Roasting "WBC" Blend

Also read this for reviews:
http://coffeecuppers.com/ReviewList.htm

and try this one, but they've been giving high reviews to a lot of coffees:
http://www.coffeereview.com/

Post back and let us know what you've tried....

Steve
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

bluesman13 wrote: Also read this for reviews:
http://coffeecuppers.com/ReviewList.htm

and try this one, but they've been giving high reviews to a lot of coffees:
http://www.coffeereview.com/
Steve
Coffee Review is tasting roasted beans/blends sent from various roasters whereas the majority of coffee cuppers beans/blends are bought green & roasted in house before tasting. A great resource for home roasters but not necessarily indicative of what you would receive buying the same coffee direct from a specialty roaster who might roast it differently.
boldstep

Post by boldstep »

Thanks. Will definitely give those blends a try and report back. I have an outstanding order placed for the "sweetness" blend which I should be receiving any day now. I've already tried Black Cat and was underwhelmed, especially considering the hype. Working through a bag of Blue Bottle Hayes Valley blend - it is good but I prefer the other two I listed above. Still need to try Espresso Dolce from Vivace. After reading David Schomer's book on espresso making I am dying to taste what he thinks is a great blend! Anybody try Dolce by the way?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

So far I've tried:
Barrington Gold - Bought when I first got the V2/wasted in learning curve/will revisit.

Black Cat - Primary blend for past month/nice but not exceptional

Sweet Maria's "Liquid Amber" - Very distinctive flavor which I enjoyed but mucho caffeine!

Specialty Java's "Espresso Organico" - Bought for milk drinks/just received/more info later.
boldstep

Post by boldstep »

Hi,
Thought I'd report back on some blends I mentioned I would be trying. I ordered the Bigfoot and Sweetness blend from Barefoot Coffee:

First off, I am amazed with how accurate their label description are! In both cases they really nail all of the flavors. So if you like the description, you'll probably like the coffee. My favorite was the sweetness blend: its zip and sparkle really surprised me. I've never tasted espresso like that but I liked it!

Lastly, I used their brewing recommendations, which can be found here:

http://stores.homestead.com/barefootcof ... sso+Blends

I thought they were accurate too. Always trying to get more from a bean, I did play around with the temps and volume but ended up pretty much agreeing with their recommendations.

If you end up trying either of these blends please send me a note and let me know what you thought...
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Looks good but I don't get the 12oz bag thing in that price range. Why not offer a full lb for $12.50? No Priority Mail options so you are waiting 7+ days for a 12oz bag that will be gone in no time. Fed Ex ground/home is terrible in this area. I've had them drive around 2-3 days with my package before attempting a delivery. How long did it take to receive the order once shipped?
Niko

Post by Niko »

That's the problem with a lot of these micro roasters, they don't offer Priority Mail shipping. It's a big NO NO in my book since everything John said is true about FedEx and the rest. I also concur about the 12oz bag size.
What's up with that? :?
boldstep

Post by boldstep »

Yes, I think it should be a full pound for the price too. The beans were roasted and shipped the same day. 6 days from my order placement to receiving them. It makes me wonder how much better they would have tasted if I had got them earlier. Is it well understood/accepted when most beans peak in flavor or is it dependent on the roast and/or bean? I've heard 3 days batted around.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The average peak flavor for most beans I've had are the 4th day. I enjoy my roasts well past the 1st week so you'll be OK with those commercial roasts. It would be really nice to have day numbers 2, 3 and 4 so you can see what the peak flavors are :wink:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Six days isn't bad for Fed Ex Home/ground or UPS going coast to coast but its longer then I want my fresh roasted beans sitting in a truck. I got Sweet Marias to loosen up on the Priority Mail shipping & had my last order in Ct 2 days after it left Calif.

I've been looking at the Terroir website today thinking about trying some of these Espressos: http://www.terroircoffee.com/store/more ... hp?gid=221
He does the 12 oz bag also & he certainly isn't cheap but some of his stuff looks very interesting. $4-$5 shipping on 3 or more coffees & for me it would be next day delivery by UPS Ground so the beans would come into their prime "after" I received them.

I'd like to try the Barefoot Espressos at some point so I may send an email asking about Priority Mail shipping.
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

Barefoot coffees are excellent. I have yet to have one that disappoints me. I am mostly sticking with the single origins at the moment (loving the Brazilian and the Yirgacheffe), but have heard that their Element 114 blend has been particularly good lately.

I'm driving over the hill tomorrow for a latte art class in Santa Cruz. It's at Great Infusions and they also sell the Element. Think I will pick up a pound to give it a try.

On another note for all you locals to Silicon Valley. I was in Barefoot a week or so ago and they had lots of beans marked down half price because the roast date was about 10 days gone. I've only been buying the very fresh, but sounds like I could get decent coffee out of some of these
; maybe these bargains are worth picking up in small, quickly consumed quantities.
Niko

Post by Niko »

10 days ain't bad, you can do that freezer thingy you do so well and bust 'em out for a big party :wink:

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”