Can someone try these blends with me?

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
hlsheppard

Can someone try these blends with me?

Post by hlsheppard »

When it comes to the Winter months here in Michigan - I usually don't roast my own. The ambient temps outside are just way too low and I don't really have the desire to stink up my garage... :oops:

SO - when the colder seasons come, I order my coffee here: http://www.cmebrewcoffee.com/cmebrew_go ... offee.html

He has two espresso blends: La Miscela for Milk and La Dolce Vita for straight shots. His prices are excellent and he roasts and ships on the same day.

*I* think that these are pretty darned good. However, for the last few years, I've been wondering how these would compare to some of your more developed palates. For instance, I recently tried a few pounds of Black Pearl and didn't think it came close. I am just looking for a few to provide a tastebud "litmus test" especially given the price of two pounds vs. any other good blend I've tried. Hey, when you consume as much coffee as we do - doesn't price count for something?

Anyone want to give it a try?

(and NO, I don't work for, get compensated by or have any personal relationship with aforementioned roaster!!)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I might try some when I run low but I have to wonder how he can sell at close to 50% less then most other roasters. Is he really buying the high quality beans he claims to be?
Niko

Post by Niko »

JohnB wrote:I might try some when I run low but I have to wonder how he can sell at close to 50% less then most other roasters. Is he really buying the high quality beans he claims to be?
I was thinking the same thing.
Maybe he has extremely low overhead :?:
Last edited by Niko on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

All I'm saying is - I've ordered coffee from LOTS of places, green or roasted. I don't see any "seconds" in the roasted blend. No broken or malformed beans... I'm NOT a shill for this company (although I probably sound like one) -

BUT - that's why I want your guy's opinions. I think this stuff compares favorably with MUCH of what I've tried. Yes, I like Black Cat better. I also like Malabar Gold (when you can find it) or Vivace. However, I keep coming back to C-ME or "see me" or "C.M.E." (I don't really know :D) because I have yet to have anyone beat their flavor/price ratio.

When I first got into espresso 10 years ago or so, I got my first "real machine" from a guy on alt.coffee. It was a used Gaggia Coffee 8) and that gent is who turned me on to this place.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Better then Black Pearl but not as good as Black Cat. Lots of leeway there. Does anyone like Black Pearl?? Shipping rates are reasonable if you order a few lbs. How does the one for milk drinks taste straight up?
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

JohnB wrote:Better then Black Pearl but not as good as Black Cat. Lots of leeway there. Does anyone like Black Pearl?? Shipping rates are reasonable if you order a few lbs. How does the one for milk drinks taste straight up?
Well, I'm not sure how to respond to the first sentence...

I've tried TONS of blends that are supposed to be the next *thing.* There's a reason that I've been coming back.

The La Miscela (sp?) tastes good to me straight. It's got quite a bit more "punch" (flavor, not caffeine) than the other blend. I assume that's to balance with the milk - but I like it straight as well.

I don't usually buy the one for straight espresso. The other pulls double duty for me just fine. However, I want some opinions from people who have tried lots of different espresso (GOOD espresso as opposed to Charbux). Whenever people come over - they love it. However, most people who have never had good coffee will be impressed when the veil is lifted... :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

hlsheppard wrote: Well, I'm not sure how to respond to the first sentence...
:
I just meant that I have not read many positive posts concerning Black Pearl & I can't say that I'm particularly found of it myself. Hence saying that a blend is better then BP but not as good as BC doesn't get the taste buds watering. I might try the "milk" blend he offers as I can always use it up in flavored lattes if I don't care for it straight & the price is certainly appealing.
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

I agree about the Black Pearl. I've read posts that it is better at high temps; maybe that was my problem, but I found it a little flat with not many flavor characteristics.

As to this new stuff, I am really tempted by the price and may try a bit just on the chance it will be great!
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Well, after some of the questions regarding his prices - I actually called Charlie from C-Me and asked him today why his prices were so low.

His answer was "I have almost no overhead. I am a one man show that works from a purpose-build roasting shed at my residence. I suppose I could always charge more, but there's really no need to."

Well - there you have it! I actually chuckled at his honesty. :lol:
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

Well, I notice he lives in Ohio where you can buy a house with your credit card. I suppose that has some effect on price.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Niko wrote:
JohnB wrote:I might try some when I run low but I have to wonder how he can sell at close to 50% less then most other roasters. Is he really buying the high quality beans he claims to be?
I was thinking the same thing.
Maybe he has extremely low overhead :?:
I guess my guess was right :shock:

Sorry, we're just used to paying through the nose for anything out here in California. When we see a good deal out here like that - we have to do a double take and wonder if it's too good to be true. In this case it's worth looking into for sure :P
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Yep - I noticed that Niko called it early on.

The funny thing is: he's in Ohio (I'm just North of him in Michigan) and he spoke with a noticeable Southern drawl. Nice fella, though...
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

I just ordered a pound of each. Will let you know my thoughts.

It would be nice to find something that compares reasonably well to what I am getting from Barefoot for $12 (12oz). I am in love with their Brazilian Poco Fundo, so we shall see if this new stuff can deliver my morning thrill.

I am turning into a real addict and am going through coffee at a much faster rate than BE (before espresso).

:wink:
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

I tried the La Miscela this morning. Not good, at least to my taste. I was not pleased to see that the roast is pretty dark and oily.

The pull took a shot to dial in then I pulled a 25 sec shot with rich crema. Unfortunately, it tastes over-roasted and burnt. The crema was very dark; almost the color of rosewood.

I am not hopeful, but will try some other temps. Otherwise, maybe I will take it to work for others to enjoy :?

I see that you like it straight. I didn't. What kinds of roasts do you usually use? Mostly the darker ones?

Next up: La Dolce Vita. Hopefully, that will be better for my cappuccino.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

That's interesting - but it's the exact kind of opinion(s) I wanted. I DO tend to like darker roasts with more body. The exception would probably be Malabar Gold (which isn't roasted very dark at all).

The blends DO get oily, but they never struck me as over-roasted...

Funny, when I started roasting coffee - I used to roast much lighter, but I got rather fed up with lighter roasts. I'm to the point now where I almost despise a "green" tasting coffee.

I would have never guessed this - but it's good information. My tastes are maybe a little askew! :shock:

BTW - isn't Miscela for milk drinks and Dolce Vita for straight? I forget....
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

Yes, the Miscela is the one you recommend for milk drinks. I had it in a cappuccino. Tobacco notes is what comes to mind.

Tonight I tried in in a mocha and in that it was better. The very strong taste punched through the chocolate and even added something to the mix. I am not a regular mocha drinker, though. I will have to invite some mocha drinking friends over and ply them with it.

My recent favorites are a couple of Brazilians and a Yirgacheffe. These are both much lighter roasts and very different flavor profiles from the La Miscela. I'm not very experienced at describing the flavors of coffees so bear with me. The Brazilians are mellow, with chocolate notes that seem to bloom in the center of my mouth and there seem to be different notes that come on during the entry, middle and aftertaste. The Yirgacheffe is brighter and lighter than the Brazilian. The Miscela seems to have only one flavor note to my palate. Does all this sound specious and silly? ':tard:'

Now I am looking askance at my grinder thinking I will have to clean it out more if I run this dark, oily stuff through it. It's new and I haven't taken it apart yet; always a little traumatic with the new toy.
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

Yesterday I broke open the La Dolce Vita and made a capp with it. I liked it better than the La Miscela. Its' flavor is strong with more earthiness than I tasted with the Miscela but less bitter.

I was reading somewhere on this site that I should lower brew temps for darker roasts so I dropped the temp to 93C today. That much improved the flavor. I can now taste more chocolate with a pleasant -almost bitterness. It makes a good cappuccino. The flavor is lingering on in my mouth.

Amazing he can deliver this for about $6 a pound. I will order this one again.

Think I will try the Miscela again at the lower brew temp.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Try the darker roast at 92C as well.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Mizspresso wrote:Yesterday I broke open the La Dolce Vita and made a capp with it. I liked it better than the La Miscela. Its' flavor is strong with more earthiness than I tasted with the Miscela but less bitter.

I was reading somewhere on this site that I should lower brew temps for darker roasts so I dropped the temp to 93C today. That much improved the flavor. I can now taste more chocolate with a pleasant -almost bitterness. It makes a good cappuccino. The flavor is lingering on in my mouth.

Amazing he can deliver this for about $6 a pound. I will order this one again.

Think I will try the Miscela again at the lower brew temp.
AHHH that makes sense. I have had my brew temp set lower for so long I forgot to even think about that! Glad you liked that one better (I had the "am I a psycho for liking this??" thing going on). :oops:
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

I tried the Dolce Vita at 92C this morning. Even better. Will have to run the LM through at this temp.

So can either you, Howard, or Niko tell me why lower temps are better for dark roasts?

Dialing in exact temps is one of the top reasons for my Spaz purchase. Just love that.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I just remember reading that lower temps help to accentuate more of the acidic flavors while muting some of the bitterness of a darker roast. Higher temps do the opposite (accentuate the bitterness and mute the acidic/floral).

Something like that - anyone else?? :dontknow:

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”