Matt's "Bird Dog" wood roasted espresso blend

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
Steve

Matt's "Bird Dog" wood roasted espresso blend

Post by Steve »

http://mattscoffee.com/product_info.php ... a01284a8ef

Just got a sampler from them. Anyone had it? Gonna give it a try in the AM.
jmcphail

Post by jmcphail »

Can't wait to hear what you think of it, Steve.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nope.
Never tried that one, looks very interesting.
Try it as a straight shot and in milk, let us know what you think...
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Certainly a fun site to read through. Hope its as good as it sounds as I'd like to try some of his coffees.
Steve

First shots

Post by Steve »

I hit a near-perfect pour with the same settings as my local roast (John Hornall's own from Chestnut Hill Coffee Company). Rich with a thick, lasting crema which tells me the beans were fresh. A full, smooth flavor with a few fruity notes on the finish... just the slightest hint of smokiness -- Very nice. Not as bold as Black Cat, so it doesn't jump out of the milk as much. But as an espresso, I prefer Matt's. Highly recommended. :)
Niko

Post by Niko »

Just as I suspected, a nice roast for espresso - kind of nice to hear it doesn't jump out at you, especially in milk. Even in milk based drinks, Black Cat (of old) grabbed me by the larynx and slapped me silly :D

So you were pulling doubles? - If so, what kind of volume were you getting ounce-wise?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Niko wrote:So you were pulling doubles? - If so, what kind of volume were you getting ounce-wise?
I typically pull double ristrettos. About 1.5 fl oz in the glass from the LS double basket, 94degC, two warming flushes.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Same here, mostly in the Ristretto range at about 1.25-1.5 oz's (at the most). That 94C seems to be the magic number for most of my stuff.

How's that stuff grind-wise? Do you find the need to grind finer or coarser than usual?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Niko wrote:How's that stuff grind-wise? Do you find the need to grind finer or coarser than usual?
I'd say average for what I've been pulling lately (which has been pretty darn fresh stuff). I do notice that beans that are not fresh require a finer grind. I.e. some of my home roasts have required adjustments to finer grind as they lose their freshenss.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote:Same here, mostly in the Ristretto range at about 1.25-1.5 oz's (at the most). That 94C seems to be the magic number for most of my stuff.
Is that amount with Crema or after it has settled?
Steve

Post by Steve »

JohnB wrote: Is that amount with Crema or after it has settled?
Settled.

I'm getting some nice cinnamon flavors, too.
Niko

Post by Niko »

You guys let the crema settle? :?

...mine's in my stomach, so the crema settles down there :lol:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Niko wrote:You guys let the crema settle? :?
Hehe. No, not typically.

Still smiling about your Black Cat larynx attack :wink:

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”