Anyone like the taste of sour aspirin?

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
podo98

Anyone like the taste of sour aspirin?

Post by podo98 »

I have spent the weekend wasting a pound of black pearl. I have changed all the variables. Read all the articles and I cannot get a shot that is drinkable by itself. Its fine with milk, but cannot be had alone. HELP!!!

Brett
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

I tried everything I could as well with that blend, could not get it to work for me either :(
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's been about 5 months since I've pulled shots with Black Pearl but it wasn't sour when I tried it. I do remember one thing, it can take it hotter than most blends I've tried. Then again, this could've been on my older S1 where you can set the temps into the stratosphere. Maybe I set it to 98-100C? Not sure and again, I don't remember.
There's a guy who posted about a blend (on H-B) who had to bring it up super, duper hot to get rid of the sours.

There's some posts on Black Pearl on Coffeegeek:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/blends/254789
Mizspresso

Different coffee same sour!

Post by Mizspresso »

I am having the same sour problem.

I am using a Brazilian and running it at 95C. I also just got a naked portafilter and notice the shot does not resolve into a single, central stream until the last few seconds.

Do you think it is channeling or just brew temp? Or?
Niko

Post by Niko »

It sounds like channeling and it could the beans themselves causing the problem, not your preparation.
What bean are you using and who did the roast?
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

This is Brazilian Poco Fundo, roasted by Barefoot.
Niko

Post by Niko »

It doesn't sound like brew temp to me, although some beans really like it HOT. What does temp does Barefoot recommend for that particular bean? I've seen some of the temps listed in their cafe.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Zzyzx wrote:I tried everything I could as well with that blend, could not get it to work for me either :(
Sadly, I was in this boat as well...
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

Should we post along our grinders (luckily we all pull from one Spazs ) so easier to "trouble shoot" our "trouble shots" ? :?

Just my thought :oops:

Cafesp
Niko

Post by Niko »

I think that might help :thumbleft:

Most of the time, for me anyways, it's the bean since I use two different Spaz's and two different grinders (the grinders are of different makes). So instead of blaming the Barista, I usually blame the beans :lol:

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”