What defines a good blend/roast?

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
TruthBrew

What defines a good blend/roast?

Post by TruthBrew »

I received my S1 in the end of December and had been ordering from Intelligensia in Chicago either Black Cat or Kid O blends. I was pulling shots that I still think are excellent even to this day, even with little barista skills.

For the last couple months I've been trying fresh roasted espresso blends from several area roasteries (Dunn Brothers, White Rock, Coffee & Tea Ltd.) and just haven't had good results. I haven't had the thick, gloppy pulls of the Intellegensia coffees.... everything just seems a bit thinner and less complex (though it doesn't usually go as far as blonding) .

Have you all just picked your favorite roasteries around the US and resorted to mail ordering?

While homeroasting is a good option to, I am not currently interested. I know how and will do it eventually, but I have very little time right now.

Thoughts?
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

Finding a good roaster is a challenge. Some hints for detecting a bad one.

1. The espresso they serve is sucky (if they serve coffee at all). Order one before you buy their beans.
2. No roast dates are posted on their offerings.
3. Coffee is not bagged but in hoppers or bins (Permits topping up).
4. Vague answers when you ask when the coffee was roasted. (We roast every Monday. So you roast every bean offered on Monday? No, we roast only to replace our inventory. So, if you didn't roast it this Monday then it is over a week old? Yea. Well do you roast every offering at least every two weeks. I think so.)

Two guesses why the coffee is not gloppy -
1. The coffee is not fresh.
2. The roasters think that Robusta is evil.

:wink:

Bob
cappadoc

Post by cappadoc »

Intelly is pretty much my espresso lifeline. I order about 2-3 lbs every 2 weeks. That Black Cat is amazing stuff, and I don't even like cats :D .

I've tried the local stuff, but it ain't so good :cry: . I stick with the good stuff now.

Jeff
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

Thanks Bob and Jeff (good name, mine too)

I know that at least Dunn Bros does roast everything fresh, and to be honest I've had alright luck when i KNOW it was roasted within about 3 days of purchase. Still doesn't compare with Black Cat though.
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

Click here for some of my favorite roasters.

Bob
BillK

Post by BillK »

bobroseman wrote:Click here for some of my favorite roasters.

Bob
I see you have tried Paradise, Bob. I buy green from Miguel; you can throw a dart and get great beans from him as he is so incredibly tuned into quality. I would recommend him as well as Intelligentsia to you without hesitation, Truthbrew. If you have a really good grinder, you will be drinking straight shots from either of these places w/o sugar. I have never had anything but good stuff from either. A more budget oriented roaster who I think does a nice job is CMEbrew.

Dunn Brothers uses a lot of Columbia in their espresso blend, or I miss my guess. (There seems to be a penchant among so many of these coffee shops to use a lot of Columbia and/or Sumatra. I suppose this cuts through the milk well, but it does not lend itself to sweet blends. I stopped at a shop in Tucson recently, and their blend is 50/50 Columbia/Sumatra - I ordered mine w/milk.) Dunn Brothers cafes are franchised, so you may get some variations from shop to shop. In our local Dunn Brothers shop they keep their roasts separate. I am always able to ask for the roast date and get beans that are no more than two days old, sometimes one day old. They take their espresso to a nice full city+, but their blend is a bit sharp, so I don't use it much.

Bob, I recently ordered some green from Paradise. Miguel included in it a small bag for me to try - "Yirgacheffe - Bale Kara". This is a natural, as opposed to the more typical wet processed Yirg. I roasted it to a fully city, and it was delicious either as presspot or americano. For the heck of it, I tried it as a straight shot. It was incredible. About a month later, Paradise began offering a new line of "S.O. Espresso". One of them is this Yirg. No surprise to moi! I had a bag of it sent to my son-in-law, who says it is fantatic.

More interesting, I have been in communication with Miguel to find out what he has coming. He indicates that in June he will be getting a natural Yirgacheffe that is the best coffee he has ever cupped(!). Also a DP Sidamo and a defect-free Sumatra (is this an oxymoron?) that he feels are outstanding, along with some high-scoring Panamas. The line forms behind me.
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

Bill,

I have a Macap M4, so no problem there.

Dunn Bros actually started here in St. Paul, so I would like to think they locally have the most roast experience for the entire chain, but not sure that's true. They do also keep all of their roasts seperate and blend it when you buy. I know it's fresh, but I agree that it's "sharp".

Guess I'll start having to learn more about origins, roasting levels, etc... to know how to pick what I like. Until then, I'll be mail ordering from the recommended roasters.

I'd really like to attend an event with quality barista's pulling good shots or visit some of these stores in person. We normally hit Chicago a couple times a year so Intelligensia is on the list, but we have a new born so it will be a while until we can make it back.

Thanks!

Jeff
BillK

Post by BillK »

TruthBrew wrote:Guess I'll start having to learn more about origins, roasting levels, etc... to know how to pick what I like. Until then, I'll be mail ordering from the recommended roasters.
I didn't know you live in St. Paul. There are two new coffee shops there, per a note I received from Miguel Meza at Paradise Roasters:

"Kopplin's which just opened last week,(I posted about this shop in the regional section of CoffeeGeek) and Black Sheep which will open the end of May in South St. Paul."

Go to the coffeegeek forums and see what he wrote in the central region thread about Kopplin's - it sounds as though this is going to be a *real* coffee shop.

Miguel is located in Anoka, in case you didn't know. You can order via telephone and pick up the same day he roasts, if you want ultimate freshness. Under your nose you have a roaster who travels the world judging and locating great coffees. He can give you barista lessons, cupping lessons, whatever your interests might be, if you need some help. His whole world is coffee and he is completely approachable.
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

BillK wrote:
bobroseman wrote:Click here for some of my favorite roasters.

Bob
I see you have tried Paradise, Bob. I buy green from Miguel; you can throw a dart and get great beans from him as he is so incredibly tuned into quality.
I met him at the SCAA in Charlotte. Very nice guy and incredible coffee person.

Bob
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

Wow, sweet! Never knew. Actually a fellow name Jared Andersson who homeroasts here in the TC area I think mentioned his name before.

I'll be giving him a ring or dropping him and e-mail soon.

Thanks for the tips guys.

jh
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

Just visited Koplin's Coffee today. Amazing setup (dual group Synesso Syncra) and Paradise coffee.

Andrew sold me 1/2lb of Miguels espresso, so I'll be trying that this weekend.

Thanks for the tips, I logged onto the CoffeeGeek US Central forum and saw Miguel's postings.

Jeff
Last edited by TruthBrew on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillK

Post by BillK »

Just visited Koplin's Coffee today. Amazing setup (dual group Synesso Syncra) and Paradise coffee.

Andrew sold me 1/2lb of Miguels espresso, so I'll be trying that this weekend.

Thanks for the tips, I logged onto the CoffeeGeek US Central forum and say Miguel's postings.

Jeff
I am enthused about Kopplins. I saw your message on the coffeegeek board and it sounds as though they have a good business already. The location must be close to Macalaster, which has to help business.

Now that you have a good source of beans, you should get the same type of crema that you have experienced from Intelligentsia. Both use 100% arabica beans with quite a lot of natural Brazil I am sure. If you want ultimate crema, Paradise now has a S.O. espresso that is 100% high quality robusta. I haven't tried it.
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

Yeah, the shots I pulled this morning were excellent, every bit as good as the Black Cat. Tons-o-crema and rich tiger striping.

Koplin's is directly across the street from Cretin Durham Hall (catholic private HS), and about a mile or so from both Macalister and St. Kate's.

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”