Red Bird in Canada

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
Abnuceals

Red Bird in Canada

Post by Abnuceals »

Any lovers of Red Bird beans in Canada ?
I'd like to know if it's a good match with the S1.
Price seems fair if I compare to what I paid today for my beans ($17/lb at Aladdin in Gatineau).
Any idea of shipping costs in Canada (around Ottawa) ?

Thanks for comments, ideas.
Endo

Re: Red Bird in Canada

Post by Endo »

I never ordered coffee online in my life since the good cafes in Montreal carry everything you'd ever want to try. Haven't seen Redbird yet, but I'll keep a look out for it. I'm currently drinking "RedBrick" from Square Mile.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Endo, we should push Cafe in Gamba to start stocking Red Bird it in place of Black Cat...
Endo

Post by Endo »

Ask the owner (JF Leduc).

I've asked for certain blends in the past, and I think he said he had problems with shipping from some suppliers (he insists it be fresh). So could be a reason he's not stocking it.

But like I said, never hurts to ask.
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

Not the first time I hear nice comments about Cafe in Gamba. Their web site is not always very informative but I will try to speak with JF. And maybe next week end I could have an opportunity to go in Montreal. Often a PITA with all those potholes, but that's another story.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

If you go, I would suggest grabbing a pack or two of Toscana (from Counter Culture). Get the freshest packs available. I got 4 day roast and it was amazing. My last 20 day old roast is still fine. A bit pricey at $20 per pack, tax in.
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

Thanks GDK. I will try it next week-end when I'll be in MTL. BTW, since you are located in Ottawa, where do you buy your beans ? Sometimes I buy beans from Bridgehead. I like their coffee very much but it's always a kind of russian roulette for freshness. Did they open their roastery ? It will solve that issue. Otherwise, I buy my beans from Aladdin in Gatineau. But two weeks ago I discovered Caffe La Tierra Coop in centre town of Gatineau. They have a nice espresso blend and freshness is not an issue. When I bought it, it was ground from the day before. I waited a couple of days and it was perfect. Very nice, very smooth and subtle. That's what I'm drinking at this moment.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I asume you know the Bridgehead freshness secret? (Reposted below)
Endo wrote:If you get some beans from Bridgehead, here is a little secret. The weird looking code on the bottom of the bag is the roast date....but backwards. So rosted today would be:

11020180 (or 8 Oct 2011)

Don't buy anything over 3 weeks old. If all the bags on the shelf are past 3 weeks, then ask to make a bag from the big bag they use on their Synesso in the back. It's usually the freshest.

If you want to try something closer to home, you can try Oakville which has the new "Caravalho Coffee" (roasted on site using beans from his Brazilian family farm).

http://www.facebook.com/people/Carvalho ... 2099880429
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

I never bought one of their bags that are already on the shelf. Each time I ordered, they always took the same beans they use with the Synessos (and no date available). I know they buy their beans in Montreal (don't remember where) but it is not always fresh. It's sad because it's a blend I like very much. This is the reason why I'm so anxious to try the beans they will roast in their new roastery. Will it be the exact same blend ? I presume that the taste could be a little different if it is a different roaster.

BTW I received an answer from Jeff at Redbird. There is a $24 fee to ship 5lb of Redbird in Canada with USPS (in fact it $34 but they pay $10). No way !!! Firstly it seems too much and secondly, USPS is probably the worst carrier in America. The beans will surely be DOA when I'll receive the box.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Jeff quoted me quite a bit lower price before, I cannot see a reason for the change:

"Most everyone gets a 5# bag shipped via UPS, and it only takes 5-6 business days at the most. And, for reasons unknown, only 50% of the orders have been charged brokerage fees. To your address shipping would only be $14 more than the listed price of a 5# bag. And since the per-pound price is much lower, you can see why people order 5# bags."

As for Bridgehead, I also order their bulk espresso beans though next time I will ask them to get the beans from the bag they currently use to load their grinders as opposed to the regular built-in the wall bins where coffee likely moves a lot slower.

I will give Caffe La Tierra Coop a try next time I cross the river, thanks.
Louis

Post by Louis »

GDK wrote:"Most everyone gets a 5# bag shipped via UPS, and it only takes 5-6 business days at the most. And, for reasons unknown, only 50% of the orders have been charged brokerage fees. To your address shipping would only be $14 more than the listed price of a 5# bag. And since the per-pound price is much lower, you can see why people order 5# bags."
This is not an unknown reason... I know it very well in fact, and it is called United Parcel Service. Their service is usually full of surprises on arrival... usually bad surprises.

Personally, I've never had a bad experience with USPS/Postes Canada (being for coffee related stuff or other, with at least 30 uses). It may be their final delivery part that is bad, which doesn't affect us Canadians...
Last edited by Louis on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

I don't remember a single good experience with USPS. Lost parcels, lateness in delivery, etc. Last year I had a problem with my Vario.I waited near a month for a part. After a couple of weeks the Baratza guys sent me another one and the two pulleys arrive almost at the same time. The good thing is that I have a spare now...
If I ever buy a Pharos, I will use USPS because it is relatively cheap and I don't care if it takes a month to deliver. But I'm not confident enough in USPS service to deliver fresh beans.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Abnuceals wrote:I don't remember a single good experience with USPS. Lost parcels, lateness in delivery, etc.
Seems I've been lucky then... all my orders from Sweet Maria's, Chris' Coffee, Jeff at RedBird through USPS/Postes Canada arrived, maybe not in a timely manner, but nothing was ever lost.
What I've learned from UPS is: read the fine print, all of it while perusing UPS web site, and be ready to double the cost of their shipping if duties apply to any part of your shipping (or if someone at UPS thinks duties should apply, even if they do not).
I guess I prefer fairness and best effort rather than dishonest manners with a guaranteed delivery date. Just my humble opinion, which may not reflect someone else's.

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”