Yergacheffe brew temp

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
fiddlefly

Yergacheffe brew temp

Post by fiddlefly »

What do you think :?:
It is from 49th parallel called Organic Ethiopia Yergacheffe Bagersh.
Endo

Re: Yergacheffe brew temp

Post by Endo »

fiddlefly wrote:What do you think :?:
Haven't tried the new 49th Parallel version, but I roast my own Ethiopian Yergacheffe. These beans are known to vary quite a bit from lot to lot, so the 49th beans (farm) might be quite different from the ones I usually roast. I mostly drink it as an SO since it's so unique and has such a great flavor and aroma all on its own.

As a SO, I usually roast it to FC and go with a brew temp a little on the low side as well (93 or 94C). This way you preserve and accentuate the floaral notes that are its characteristic.

Some people roast it to Vienna and tend to overheat it when brewing, but I think this destroys subtle complexities of this amazing coffe (one of my favs).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

fiddlefly wrote:What do you think :?:
If its lightly roasted like a Terroir Yirgacheffe 91*C or lower with a 13-14g dose. If its roasted to full city give them hell!
Endo

Post by Endo »

More on the Yergacheffe:

I was over at Myriade today getting a couple of sipping chocolates for my kids. I picked up a bag of 49th Parallel Ethiopian Yergacheffe Rakassa. (Sold out of Organic Ethiopian Yergacheffe Bagersh). I think the Rakassa is new since I don't even see it on the 49th website yet.

Myriade is owned by Anthony Benda (3rd place Canadian Barista Champion) and Scott Rao (Professional Barista Handbook).

Anthony was telling me to not go too low in brew temp on the Yergacheffe since it's a rather "green" bean with strong lemongrass notes. It will taste a bit sour if brewed too low. So my 93C -94C recommendation stands.

They have a real nice 3 group Mirage Veloce and 3 Anfim Super Caimano grinders (titanium burrs). We also discussed the problems I was having with my inconsistant pours and I discussed the techniques I tried to fix it. He laughed, ground a mound into the PF, levelled with a few chops from the back of a old table knife, tamped with one straight push (no nutation, settling, polishing....nothing) and pulled a perfect 30 second Ristretto.....damn!

Less is more I guess.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

It all depends on how dark the roast is. Terroir roasts light & recommends 91*C or less for the Konga Co-Op Yirgacheffe I had earlier this year. Sweet lemon candy flavor at those temps. The darker the roast the higher the temp but it seems a shame to go anywhere near full city with a Yirgacheffe.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:It all depends on how dark the roast is.
Yes. Absolutely. I should have mention that. The Rakassa is roasted on the light side too. I would say between C and FC (if you look at the Sweet Marias roast chart for comparison).
fiddlefly

Post by fiddlefly »

I got the Rakassa as well as the Bagersh... I just finished the Bagersh, on to Rakassa.
I a m lookin forward to compare. I was pulling the Bagersh @ 93 and it was good but i think my fave is (still from 49th) the Costarica Herbazu I really like it it has higher more complex notes
The Bagersh I found has less dimension in its taste... my vocab. is lacking... :roll:
Endo

Post by Endo »

You seem to be going through beans as fast as me. This Vivaldi is a moneypit !
fiddlefly

Post by fiddlefly »

Yes it is pretty crazy! :oops:
I went to Myriade last friday to buy 5 pounds in an effort to curb my spending! (they agreed to make a bulk(lol) price for 5 pounds and more!) (2$ off each pound)... although i need to chill out i think! (literally) it is affecting my driving, and I will not have any more money to fuel up! (if all goes in the beans) lol but coffee tastes better then gas! oops lol... one too many espresso! :drunken: :bounce:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'm back into a bag of Terroir's Ademe Bedane Ethiopian No. Italian Roast after letting it age for awhile. Sweet candy lemon & more at 91*C. http://www.terroircoffee.com/store/more ... hp?gid=221 Have you tried a lower temp to see what you get from the Yirgacheffe you're using?
Endo

Post by Endo »

I tried 91C to see. For the Rakassa Yergacheffe, when you get low in temp. the lemongrass taste gets very strong (overpowering other flavors). There is also a slight sourness that comes out. I think this is very particular to this particular Yergacheffe. (And yes, I'm doing warming flushes first).

I'll see if I can find some Terroir and give it a try as well. I'm also roasting my own batch of Yerg right now. I'll roast it lighter and see what the lower temp does.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo

Post by Endo »

I'm just using the name that's on the bag:

http://www.49thparallelroasters.com/cof ... cha33.html

I've seen it spelled many ways but when we're describing it from a particular roaster, so I figured it's best to use their name.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

A little more name history here: http://www.terroircoffee.com/store/more ... hp?gid=184 Try the Terroir if you can find it up there. Same region at half the price.
fiddlefly

Post by fiddlefly »

Eh Endo do you know if they have terroir @ In Gamba??
fiddlefly

Post by fiddlefly »

I'll see if I can find some Terroir and give it a try as well. I'm also roasting my own batch of Yerg right now. I'll roast it lighter and see what the lower temp does.[/quote]

What kind of roaster do you have?
Do you have a source for green beans here in Montreal?
Endo

Post by Endo »

fiddlefly wrote: What kind of roaster do you have?
Do you have a source for green beans here in Montreal?
I have a Behmor 1600. Got it for $299 CAN at the Greenbeanery in Toronto about 4 months ago. Since then it jumped up to $399 CAN.

It's a great roaster. Almost as much fun as the VIvaldi. It's far from perfect (I needed to make some modifications), but I can't see any other roaster that really comes close at that price. Sure, I'd rather have the programmable Hottop. But I don't have the counter space and I'm not willing to spend $1100 CAN.

I have been getting my green beans from the Greenbeanery as well. It's a good place to start, but I'm now finding the quality varies a lot. I think I'll get my next batch of green beans locally at TerraCaf.

http://www.terracaf.ca/en/produits/inde ... famille=16

You can pick them up in Montreal or order online with free shipping.

There is always Sweet Marias as well. But I'd rather avoid the customs hastle.
fiddlefly

Post by fiddlefly »

[quote="Endo"]I tried 91C to see. For the Rakassa Yergacheffe, when you get low in temp. the lemongrass taste gets very strong (overpowering other flavors). There is also a slight sourness that comes out. I think this is very particular to this particular Yergacheffe. (And yes, I'm doing warming flushes first).

I tried it @ 91 also and did not like it went to 93 and really enjoyed the variety of flavours dancing around!
but thought it was alittle too hot. I tried it @ 92 and got overwhelmed with the lemongrass... or maybe its my bad tamping?
But anyhow I am pleasantly surprised by that coffee! Flavours seem much more defined then the Bagersh I taste of cinnamon and holy! flowers... had never tasted that before and everything is tied together by that grassy taste that gives it body.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

This taste description for the Ademe from the Terroir website is dead on at 91*C:
"Creamy delicately perfumed candy-lemon and mellow apricot enfolded within a rich milk-chocolate base" but from my recent experience it doesn't hit its prime until well into the 2nd week past roast.
fiddlefly

Post by fiddlefly »

Ill try it again @ 91!
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

fiddlefly wrote:Ill try it again @ 91!
I'm guessing that your Yirga is roasted darker then the Terroir beans, hence the higher temp recommendation. If it tastes best at 93*C then use that but don't be afraid to try other temps with any blend or S/O as each change will bring out different flavors. Some good, some not so good but you will never know if you don't experiment.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I just went through a bag of Ethiopian Sidamo roasted to full city by Cafe Fresco. I tried the higher temps, 93/94/95C, but got nothing I liked. Couldn't taste the blueberry, caramel or chocolate that the roaster mentioned. More of a sour lemon at those temps. Dropped down to 91C & got my best shot(16g/3 sec. p/i) yet so I decided to try out the Extended Temp Range. With the temp set at 89C I found the fruit/caramel/chocolate & truly enjoyed what was unfortunately the last shot in the 11 oz bag.
fiddlefly

Post by fiddlefly »

I've never tried a temperature this low on anything!
One more thing to experiment!
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:I just went through a bag of Ethiopian Sidamo roasted to full city by Cafe Fresco. I tried the higher temps, 93/94/95C, but got nothing I liked. Couldn't taste the blueberry, caramel or chocolate that the roaster mentioned. More of a sour lemon at those temps. Dropped down to 91C & got my best shot(16g/3 sec. p/i) yet so I decided to try out the Extended Temp Range. With the temp set at 89C I found the fruit/caramel/chocolate & truly enjoyed what was unfortunately the last shot in the 11 oz bag.
Sounds like your trying to brew tea. :grin:

Hey, if it tastes good to you, that's all that matters.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote: Sounds like your trying to brew tea. :grin:

Hey, if it tastes good to you, that's all that matters.
It tasted just like the description on their website so I must have been doing something right. Terroir actually recommends temps lower then that for several of their espressos with 91c being on the high side of their range.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote: It tasted just like the description on their website so I must have been doing something right. Terroir actually recommends temps lower then that for several of their espressos with 91c being on the high side of their range.
I'll give it a try. I might be getting some Terroir this weekend.

I'm not as much into the light roast, citrus-y stuff. Although many of the 3rd wave folks seem to be heading this way. I still like it roasted a bit darker, which favors a slightly higher temp.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote: I'll give it a try. I might be getting some Terroir this weekend.

I'm not as much into the light roast, citrus-y stuff. Although many of the 3rd wave folks seem to be heading this way. I still like it roasted a bit darker, which favors a slightly higher temp.
As I said the Sidamo was done to a Full City roast so it wasn't that light. At 89C it had a mild blueberry flavor but overall it was caramel/chocolate. Personally I would have preferred more fruit but I think it was roasted away.

I exchanged emails today with Adam, the roaster at Atomic Cafe in Mass. ( http://www.shopatomicafe.com/ ), about their Sidamo & Yirgacheffe. He was nice enough to try pulling some shots with their Sidamo & offered some feedback even though they don't normally use it for espresso. They roast the sidamo until first crack just finishes & the Yirgacheffe about 15 seconds longer. I'm going to order some of each as I think they'd both be great in the Vac Pot & as S/O espresso.

Which Terroir are you getting?
RapidCoffee

Post by RapidCoffee »

If you like fruity Sidamos, consider Wondo Bonko. Not only does it have a funny name, but it's a real fruit bomb. Strawberries, peach/apricot... some claim blueberry, but not in my batch. Available roasted from PT's and Klatch, and green from Sweet Marias. A 95 from Coffee Review ain't bad...

Klatch roasts it pretty light for espresso, and I found it best at 94-95C (whatever that means) on my S1. Lower temps really bring out the fruit, but then I need a teaspoon of sugar to counterbalance the sourness.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

RapidCoffee wrote:
Klatch roasts it pretty light for espresso, and I found it best at 94-95C (whatever that means) on my S1. Lower temps really bring out the fruit, but then I need a teaspoon of sugar to counterbalance the sourness.
Oddly enough I found the exact opposite was true with this Sidamo although I wouldn't consider Full City a "light" roast.. At 94-95C I found it lemony sour & at the lower temps(89-91C) the caramel/chocolate sweetness came out. I keep reading "high temps for light roasts" but I've yet to taste anything roasted light that I enjoy at those temps. Few roast lighter then Terroir & their temp recommendations run 186*F-197*F for most if not all of their espressos. At those temps the Yirgacheffe is lemon candy sweet & none of them taste sour. Seems to contradict the conventional wisdom. I'm not a sugar in coffee person & never add it to my espresso. If the taste is off I'll either steam some milk to sweeten it up or just add a splash of Half & Half.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

RapidCoffee wrote:If you like fruity Sidamos, consider Wondo Bonko. Not only does it have a funny name, but it's a real fruit bomb. Strawberries, peach/apricot... some claim blueberry, but not in my batch. Available roasted from PT's and Klatch, and green from Sweet Marias. A 95 from Coffee Review ain't bad...
Was this pulled as an espresso or brewed? I see PT's offers two different roasts for the Bonko Sidamo. Which one did you try?
RapidCoffee

Post by RapidCoffee »

JohnB wrote:Was this pulled as an espresso or brewed? I see PT's offers two different roasts for the Bonko Sidamo. Which one did you try?
I ordered from Klatch, not PT's. Didn't see more than one offering on PT's site. The Klatch roast (closer to City than Full City) is excellent as vac pot and aeropress, also makes a nice fruity SO espresso. But I did find it sour at lower temps (no big surprise for a lighter roast). I haven't tried anything lower than 90F on my S1 yet, maybe this is a golden opportunity to waste some perfectly good coffee. :-P
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Pt's offers it as espresso roasted dark: http://www.ptscoffee.com/store/product_ ... 85&s=57068 & for traditional brew methods roasted fairly light: http://www.ptscoffee.com/store/product_ ... 51&s=57064 I ordered a lb of each as I'm really enjoying the vac pot.

Any thoughts on how Terroir's light roasts defy the hot temp "wisdom"?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

RapidCoffee wrote: I haven't tried anything lower than 90F on my S1 yet, maybe this is a golden opportunity to waste some perfectly good coffee. :-P
That was my experience with the Cafe Fresco Sidamo. Pissed away the better part of an 11 oz?? bag before I dropped the temp way down & got the flavors Tony talks about for this espresso. Frankly I wasn't overly impressed with it or the other two coffees I tried. Have to try his Ambrosia espresso next as everyone seems to love that.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Here's some info from PT's on the two Ethiopian Sidamo roasts they supply.

"I received your inquiry about both roast profiles. When working with the one for brew, you can use it from 2 days out until about 14 days out. For the espresso roast, I would wait until it is about 5 days past the roast date to start using and it too will be good for 2 weeks. The absolute peak for the espresso roast would be 8-10 days. As for dose and temp, our machine is set at 200 degrees and I dose about 20-21 grams and an extraction time of about 25 seconds. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

Looks like my new triple basket will be getting some use next week!
fiddlefly

Post by fiddlefly »

Eh Endo :grin:

Have you found some terroir in Montreal? :?:

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”