Animal Excreted Coffee Beans

Discussion of the merits of various green beans, where to obtain them, and how best to roast them.
Niko

Animal Excreted Coffee Beans

Post by Niko »

Anyone try the new bird processed coffee yet from Sweet Maria's?
...and on the same subject, has anyone tried any of the other "animal" processed coffees? Just wondering what people think of it.

I got my bird crap coffee in the mail yesterday but I haven't found time to roast it yet, it looks....i n t e r e s t i n g.
And yes, I did buy it for the novelty and everyone I've told about it in my circle of friends and family won't visit for a cup of coffee anymore.
I wonder why?
4vDesmo

Post by 4vDesmo »

The trick is to serve it and THEN tell them the origin. Then its too late - HA!

I'll be interested to see how describe the character of this one.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'll roast it this weekend and post my droppings....I mean findings, sorry.

I think I will serve it for days and won't mention what they've been drinking until I run out of it.
jonniewishbone

Post by jonniewishbone »

I am in the process of developing a blend of coffee extracted from human droppings.....
It is my house , I mean bathroom blend. :lol:
Niko

Post by Niko »

I think you mean Starbucks blend....
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

So, how was it?
Saw this on a restaurant menu "late night pupu". Never figure out what it was but we had a good laugh.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I still haven't roasted it yet...
Got so many other good greens to try. I was waiting for a good opportunity like when I get 20 or so guests...then serve it to them and then give them each a photo of the bird to tell them "this is coffee you drank..."
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

:bootyshake: + :pottytrain5: = :coffee2:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Hey!
Your animal looks constipated...constipation = no coffee.

I'll be roasting that Jacu Bird stuff later this week, at least that's what I thought until I realized "it is later in the week". Damn holidays always throw me off...
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

I think it's: grind+extract under pressure, add water=americano.
Niko

Post by Niko »

jackiechang wrote:I think it's: grind+extract under pressure, add water=americano.
You mean, grind+EXCRETE under pressure = Americano.

Lately, all my shots taste like animal excreted somethings...I've been under a tremendous "coffee block" and everything I'm producing has been horrible. So after I get my game back, I'll roast the Jacu Bird coffee and report. I need to check my brew temps because todays shots were BITTER.
Weska

Post by Weska »

I know what that is like, Niko. I've had spans of bad coffee like that for six or eight weeks. A cleverer person would have given up, but I was fool enough to persist and finally get to some very decent shots.

You will do the same, I'm sure. Possibly, in a lot less time, given your extreme volume of output.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I used to have it but recently I lost it, meaning "the touch". My friends used to say "Niko got game", now I got woes beyond belief and I'm considering hanging up my portafilters and drink drip coffee for the rest of my days. It all started a few weeks ago when my steaming started to act up only to realize that my problem wasn't mental (yet) but rather physical, there was some debris that shot out of the steam wand and that's when the troubles began. After cleaning the rest of the UFO's out of the wand, the steam power returned with a vengeance in a way that I had to learn how to steam on my own machine all over again. It drove me crazy that I couldn't produce the right kind of foam to save my life, my microfoam turned to seafoam and my seafoam turned into something I can't even describe. When I finally sorted out my steaming mess, my shots turned to hell, it was unbelievable and I still haven't regained my shot performance. I had distribution issues as well as channel city, my shots were starting to look like words I cannot use on this forum. I then strapped on the ol' bottomless to get a visual and everything went well, the beads came along followed by a nice pour with the nice striping and so on...but the shot. The shot tasted so bad, so bitter that I spit it out into the sink yet again. I've been producing wonderful sink shots all week, they look beautiful with the tiger striping/flecking and everything you want in a shot to look like. I've been changing the variables all week, which makes matters worse but this isn't out of the ordinary for me since I've always tried new beans and techniques, etc..
It's just one of those days that turned into one of those weeks which turned into one of those months! Goodbye May and hello June, hopefully this new month will change for me because I'm really close to busting out the french press.

I have lost my confidence.

...but I'm still hanging on to my tamper.
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

I feel for you. It sound like my golf shots though. When I'm not centered, harder I try worse it gets. Relax, take a-coffee break :P and just...chill. Remember, it's a little more then science its also an art.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The problem is that I'm an artist and I'm having one of my "blocks"...only this time it's with my coffee.
....and it's never happened before.

Tonight I'll try to pull a shot without thinking about anything but the weather or something completely off the wall and see how that goes.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Niko, if you've had the game, you can retrieve it. You just have to keep on until some mysterious something clicks--comes out right. I hate to talk like a mystic, but it seems that espresso works along those lines at times.

By the way, among those variables you tried, did you try down-dosing to 14 grams? That was one of the blockbusters for me. Can't guarantee that it will do the same for you, but it's a direction to use if you haven't been there already.

Whatever happens, I wish you well and don't want to see you let your tamper drop out of reach.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Weska wrote:I wish you well and don't want to see you let your tamper drop out of reach.
You mean "temper"...
I haven't thrown anything out the window yet, although that Mazzer sure would be the first one out.
4vDesmo

Post by 4vDesmo »

So Niko - what's the verdict on the birdpoo beans? Have you roasted/brewed them yet?

Do tell.....
Steve
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'm looking at the bag right now...
That's it! The suspense is killing me too, I'll roast it Tuesday night. I'll shoot a before and after pic to show how the beans look.
:pottytrain4:
Niko

Post by Niko »

Jacu Bird Shot!!

The taste is "gamey"...ha ha.
Anyways, it was fun to pull some shots with the stuff and it was very tasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1f3HRZMiAI

Return to “Green Beans & Their Roasting”