54mm Tamper

All Discussions about 53ish mm tampers for the Vivaldi
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

54mm Tamper

Post by chas »

I got my 54mm Reg Barber a few days ago. The jury is still out as to whether there is a noticeable taste difference. However, with the 53mm I always had a ridge of coffee around the edge of the PF where it didn't get tightly packed right up against the sides of the PF due to the space between the edge of the 53mm tamper and the sides of the PF. This certainly doesn't happen any longer.

54mm is just a tad snug though still quite useable. I can press straight down just fine but have to twist while removing to get it out. However, that is part of my normal procedure anyway so no biggee. The snug fit really forces you to press straight down since there is no room to insert the tamper even slightly askew. This is probably also a good thing as there is no way NOT to end up with a perfectly level and plumb surface.

If I had it to do over again, 53.8mm would probably be the perfect measurement as I would still get all the benefits I mentioned about without such a snug fit. And Reg Barber will make a tamper to any tenth mm at no extra charge.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
ddunn

Tamper

Post by ddunn »

Is your 54mm convex or flat?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It's convex. While it works ok, it's not perfect. I'll probably send it back and have Reg shave it down for me to either 53.7mm or 53.5mm.
Chas
Hottop P/B
ddunn

Tamper

Post by ddunn »

I thought I'd buy one, too. What's your best guess at the size to purchase?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

My best guess is 53.5mm. Time to ask Reg if it would be better to just have him ship me a 53.5mm convex stainless part and use my current handle or to have him shave down my 54mm. I'm guessing the former due to round trip shipping costs from Maryland to Vancouver on top of the $15 shaving cost. (At least that's what I'm guessing his $15 redo charge means.)

I have a 53mm Flat Base with one of Reg's tall rosewood handles and the 54mm convex has a short maple handle. After playing with both I think the tall handle has the edge for my personal taste.

If you want to wait for me to get the 53.5mm and report back, you might save yourself some time and money in case I still didn't get it right!
Chas
Hottop P/B
ddunn

Tamper

Post by ddunn »

Thanks. I will.
ddunn

Tamper

Post by ddunn »

How does your new, Reg Barber tamper fit? Is that the correct size?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I'm still waiting for the 53.5mm. In the meantime I am happily using the POS tamper that came with the machine - which is 49 or 50mm - to do a four quadrant tamp followed my a polishing tamp with the 53mm. So far the crotchless PF tells me this is the best solution. We'll see of the 53.5mm changes the equation any, if it ever ships.
Chas
Hottop P/B
merge03

what size did you end up with?

Post by merge03 »

I'm a little unhappy with my Reg 53mm too.

What size did you end up with?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

After cutting the bottom out of my portafilter, I discovered I couldn't reliably get a good tamp that would eliminate channeling especially down the sides of the PF with any of my tampers except the POS plastic tamper that came with the S1. At least I think it's the one that came with the S1, it could be the one that came with its predecessor the Isomac Tea.

The fact that one side of this tamper is about 48mm and thin let's me do a four quadrant tamp as discussed a couple of years back on AC. With this method I angle the tamper and ram down the sides on all four quadrants in turn, then do a straight down polishing tamp. I almost never get an "espresso jet" when I do this. I can't do this with any of the normal tampers because the tamp part is too thick to be able to angle it while doing the four quadrant tamp.

I'd like something more aesthetically pleasing. I'm waiting to hear Bob Roseman's review when his all wood Thor tamper arrives from Chris Coffee. Rumor has it that this is actually 53.5mm wide.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Barry

Post by Barry »

I am goihg to have one of our guys turn a 53.5mm tamper on one of the milling machines next week. Will post the results of both a convex and flat bottom assuming I get my machine set up this weekend. I have definetly found that I get better results using the 4 quarter technique vs. the "tap" technique on my tea.
doppio

Post by doppio »

Any more info on the best tamper for the S1 since this group of posts? I ordered an Espro 53mm with my S1 and find that I get the best results if I rock the tamper in the direction of the 4 quadrents then straight down. I still end up with coffee grinds on the sides, but the shots are good (still waiting for my bottomless protafilter for better evaluation).
I'm thinking of ordering a 53.5mm Reg. Is that the best solution? How about the Thor - is it better?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I have a collection of 53mm, 53.5mm, and 54mm flat and convex from Reg, Thor, and Espresso Parts NW. Other than the fact that the 54mm is a little too big, I don't treally see much difference in the result with any of them. As a matter of fact I can do just as good or better a job with that little POS tamper than came with the S1. (I am inadvertantly becoming a tamper collector!)

Frankly, I think the technique, the grind, and the beans have more to do with the success of the pour than does the tamper. Lately my technique has become one of tapping and wiggling the PF while the MiniE is grinding into the PF, then carefully leveling with my finger, followed by a very light tamp just to flatten the surface.

I roast all my beans in a Hottop and have been experimenting with blends. I find an extreme difference in the quality of the pour and on channeling based on the roast. All other things equal: A single varietal roasted a little on the dark side gives the best pour and is more forgiving of the tamp. Whereas a lighter roast on a blend can be difficult even with the "perfect tamp". The worst luck I have with channeling is when I roast a blend of various sizes with some dry processed and some wet processed. This seems to cause a much larger variation in grind particle size. Whereas the single varietal roasted darker seems to grind to a much more uniform particle size.

Occasionally I'll get channeling in the puck itself but my worst problem - when I have it - is getting water flowing down the sides between the puck and the PF basket. Making sure the basket is dry before adding the grinds seems to help in this area.

I tried the recommendation to swap out the Hex head bolt with a low profile round head bolt. It's a little more aesthetically pleasing to not have a large bolt impression in the puck. But I don't really see any difference in the cup nor did I ever note that the original bolt resulted in more channeling.

I suppose my next experiment needs to be to try to roast the individual beans separately and then blend them.

I do heartily recommend that everyone check their technique with a bottomless PF when they have a chance. Be prepared to have some coffee jets spraying every which way when you get a bad one. It can make quite a mess. Above all, don't let it drive you nuts. Just by using the S1 and decent beans your going to get a pretty damn find espresso even with some channeling.
Chas
Hottop P/B
doppio

Post by doppio »

Chas - I agree with you regarding the degree of roast and grind on the effect of channeling. I don't roast at home (yet!) but I recently began using an espresso blend form a local roaster and seem to have better looking pucks and much nicer, goopy extractions. I ordered a Thor yesterday anyway, so I am anxious to see if there will be a difference.
Thanks for the input. By the way, Which single varietal do you think tastes best when drinking it as a straight espresso?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Tough choice but I'd have to give the edge to Yemen Mocca. There are several kinds you can find some better than others but all really good.
Chas
Hottop P/B
BobG

Tamper

Post by BobG »

I personally like the Thor tampers. I own 2 of them - one that is a Madrona Flat Bottomed tamper and the other is an ironwood convex tamper.

I have a Reg Barber 53 mm, but I use that one to slightly tap the sides so as not to ding the Thor tampers.

I had one of the stainless steel 53 mm from Espresso Parts NW with both the flat and convex bottoms. I found that it did not fit the S1 well (did not fit as well as the Reg, so I suspect it is just a hair under 53 mm) and recently sold it on eBay.

Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I have two Thor's, two Reg, and a EPNW handle with a couple of different size screw on disks. One of the Thor's is that custom "Chess Pawn" looking design that Chris sells. My favorite is the Mexican Cocobolo that Les of Thor tamper custom made for my S1 - with matching PF handle.

If you have any discretionary funds left after purchasing your S1, I'd recommend checking out http://thortamper.com.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

If anyone has a Reg Barber tamper, wishes it was a slighly different size, but can't see springing for a whole new tamper, check out Reg's Web site:

http://www.coffeetamper.com/cart_base.php

You can now buy the bases and handles separately. The bases are available in stainless, aluminum, brass, or copper. You can get the base sized to any tenth of a mm increment, and select flat or convex.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Barry

Post by Barry »

I have a copy of Pro/E, a block of aluminum and a five access milling machine. The machine has incredible tolerances where a tenth of a millimeter is no problem. Do I go 53.5mm, 53.6mm or 53.7mm?

Barry
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Barry wrote:I have a copy of Pro/E, a block of aluminum and a five access milling machine. The machine has incredible tolerances where a tenth of a millimeter is no problem. Do I go 53.5mm, 53.6mm or 53.7mm?

Barry
If you are lookinng at the tightest fit that still works you can try 53.7mm
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Tampers”