triple basket update

The extended drought is over. LaSpaziale triple baskets are now available from Chris Coffee!
JohnB

Re: triple basket update

Post by JohnB »

Where was Fred sourcing the poor quality baskets? Are these different from the ones CC sells?
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

if you reach me on the list, i would definitely take a triple 8)
zoey

Post by zoey »

If you don't mind ponying up the money, buy two baskets and send them to:

Metals Joining Lab Co., Incorporated
9739 Humboldt Ave. South
Bloomington, MN. 55431
952/881-5118
metalsjoininglab@integra.net

It's a small shop with only about 3 people. I'm sure Roger, the owner, will know what to do with the baskets. However, you should send him the exact measurements you require for your basket.

If you want to save money, cut the baskets yourself (but they must be cut precisely). He sent my baskets out to have them spun on a lathe.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

michael wrote:if you reach me on the list, i would definitely take a triple 8)
Me too :bounce:
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

are all the triples gone already; are there any other projects to make trip-les for the people who didnt make the last batch 8)
BrewHaHa
Macchiato

Post by BrewHaHa »

I've been trying to limit myself to refreshing Tom's Want-to-buy list page no more than, oh, 10 times an hour... :bounce:
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1
Mazzer Major
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

whats on that page; is that different from the waiting list for triples 8)
BrewHaHa
Macchiato

Post by BrewHaHa »

michael wrote:whats on that page; is that different from the waiting list for triples 8)
No, I think we're talking about the same thing. It's this page, that he referred to in the first post of the thread:
http://homeroastespresso.googlepages.com/53mmtriples
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1
Mazzer Major
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

how many grams of coffee can you fit into these new triple baskets; do you use the same amount of water, 25 or so seconds 8)
BrewHaHa
Macchiato

Post by BrewHaHa »

TomP10 wrote:... I will withdraw the offers from anyone who has not responded by Thanksgiving (11/27). On Black Friday I will send PM messages to the next set of folks *patiently* waiting.

- Tom
Thanks for the update, Tom. I can now relax - nervously - until then...

- "Patient" in Portland
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1
Mazzer Major
derrickson

Post by derrickson »

Hi All,
A couple weeks ago I (foolishly) Googled "Vivaldi Triple Basket" thinking I would purchase one over the net via Chris', or Espresso Parts, or at least eBay. Boy, was I wrong!!! :blackeye:

Anyway, I read this thread, and quickly realized (as you all did years ago) these are non-existent! So I purchased a couple baskets from Espresso Parts (single & double), and had them shipped to Metals Joining Lab, along with the requested depth (30.63mm). Did all this back on Nov 6. Just received an email from them (Nov 19), saying they're shipping it out tomorrow! :bounce:

Will report back soon with quality of the basket as well as the cost, but wanted to pass on this info for anyone looking for other options! Also wanted to thank Zoey for providing the info below! ;-)
zoey wrote:If you don't mind ponying up the money, buy two baskets and send them to:
9739 Humboldt Ave. South
Bloomington, MN. 55431
952/881-5118

It's a small shop with only about 3 people. I'm sure Roger, the owner, will know what to do with the baskets. However, you should send him the exact measurements you require for your basket.

If you want to save money, cut the baskets yourself (but they must be cut precisely). He sent my baskets out to have them spun on a lathe.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I'm confident that he did a good job for you. I'm glad I could be of service to you. :grin:
Niko

Post by Niko »

michael wrote:how many grams of coffee can you fit into these new triple baskets; do you use the same amount of water, 25 or so seconds 8)
You can fit 20-21 grams; use a little more water (I programmed my single-cup button for triples) and timing is usually in the 30-40 second range (almost like my doubles).
zoey

Post by zoey »

For my basket, 20g leaves a solid imprint of the screen bolt in the grounds. I usually use about 19.5 to 19.7g.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:For my basket, 20g leaves a solid imprint of the screen bolt in the grounds. I usually use about 19.5 to 19.7g.

Before or after you pull the shot?
zoey

Post by zoey »

After I pull the shot. I don't think I've ever checked it beforehand. I'll have to do it~thanks for the reminder.
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

derrickson wrote: Anyway, I read this thread, and quickly realized (as you all did years ago) these are non-existent! So I purchased a couple baskets from Espresso Parts (single & double), and had them shipped to Metals Joining Lab, along with the requested depth (30.63mm). Did all this back on Nov 6. Just received an email from them (Nov 19), saying they're shipping it out tomorrow! :bounce:
Look forward to hearing your results.
zoey

Post by zoey »

19.7g leaves about a 1-2mm indention of the bolt in the top of the dry beans.

I equate this to having enough headroom.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:19.7g leaves about a 1-2mm indention of the bolt in the top of the dry beans.

I equate this to having enough headroom.
Probably so but one of the reasons I haven't jumped on one of these is the very little gain you get for the money. I can get 18g of most coffees in the double as is. I picked up a couple baskets recently but if I get one made it will be deeper then what I've seen here. I want to put 21g in with no issues or I'm not going to bother with it. Looking at my bottomless p/f I would have to have the cutaway area enlarged so the basket could protrude slightly. If I get around to having that done then I'll move on a triple basket. As is I get more then enough caffeine from a 17-18g double so I have to wonder what the point of a triple really is.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Sure it is my only chance to get one - that one remains :grin: :bounce:
bassface
Americano

Post by bassface »

So any updates on the triples? I'm all the way down at number 41 on the list but if there are any left I'm still interested.

bob
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Me too and I am almost up to bat!!
sakurama
Espresso

Post by sakurama »

Can I ask what the situation is with Triples? Are these being made by joining two baskets or is there a different solution? I'm curious as there seems to be a fair number of people who are interested in these but it doesn't seem as if there are any being made or if there are it seems to be not enough.

Gregor
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
www.gregorhalenda.com
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The current situation is that you are on your own. For $80 you can try this:

"Postby zoey » Fri Oct 24, 08 12:00 GMT
If you don't mind ponying up the money, buy two baskets and send them to:

9739 Humboldt Ave. South
Bloomington, MN. 55431
952/881-5118
If you want to save money, cut the baskets yourself (but they must be cut precisely). He sent my baskets out to have them spun on a lathe."

or for $14 try this: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1059
sakurama
Espresso

Post by sakurama »

Wasn't Lino making them? Doesn't he still make the bottemless portafilters?

Do you think there is still interest in them?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
www.gregorhalenda.com
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

sakurama wrote:Wasn't Lino making them? Doesn't he still make the bottemless portafilters?

Do you think there is still interest in them?

Lino was & MAY someday make more but considering where you are on that list & how long it has already dragged out I doubt you will live long enough to see one of those baskets! :lol: One other option I haven't personally checked out is a 53mm La San Marco triple basket. I read on another forum that it fits loosely in the DC 54mm P/F so it "might" fit nicely in the La Spaziale p/f. Espresso Parts NW lists it as 18g but other sites claim 21g. The DC triple I used easily holds 20g+.

Return to “Triple Baskets”