Making your own triple basket

The extended drought is over. LaSpaziale triple baskets are now available from Chris Coffee!
JohnB

Making your own triple basket

Post by JohnB »

Not being a particularly patient fellow I'm thinking about making my own triple basket. I'm assuming it is just a slightly deeper double basket so modifying a double is the way its done when the factory doesn't supply them??

Niko - Any chance you could post a pic of your triple next to a stock double & provide the overall height of the triple?
Last edited by JohnB on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niko

Post by Niko »

ImageImage
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Wow! You don't waste any time. Thanks!
Niko

Post by Niko »

No problem!
Let me know if you need anything else.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

John,...
any chance you'd make two??
I'm not very patient either but I am laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy for sure :)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

We'll have to see how it goes with the first one. If it turns out well & is economically feasible I may consider producing more.
Niko

Post by Niko »

You may become a very popular guy soon.
jmcphail

Post by jmcphail »

Awesome!

I've always wondered if a double basket couldn't be "stretched" somehow, rather than attaching two pieces together. I have no idea how, but steel is ductile. And the sides would become thinner, which could be bad.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Triples do help certain beans, I find that some shots actually pull better with more coffee - this is hard to do when you run out of the head space on the Spaz, the triple comes in handy in situations like this.
michael

triple baskets

Post by michael »

so does anyone have an update on the triple baskets or another idea for a source; i can be patient, but i was starting to wonder about the next batch 8)
michael

triple baskets

Post by michael »

i thought there already was a first batch; where did the triple baskets that some people already have come from; what number we are up to on the list 8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

The 1st batch was a couple of years ago followed by another batch or two (can't remember exactly) but it was some time ago. Those are the baskets you're seeing on this site for the most part.
I believe only 5 people (or so) are shaved off the top of the current list but Tom can answer that better 8)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Yes, and it was the negative experience in making those batches that is causing the wait this time. It takes a custom made jig to weld the two halves together. Each time lino buys a new batch of baskets they're a different size than the last requiring him to build a whole new jig.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Oh! I'm 25th!!! :D :) :) :)
Niko

Post by Niko »

coffeeowl wrote:Oh! I'm 25th!!! :D :) :) :)
No you are not.
You are 23rd, I believe a couple of those ahead of you will decline. :wink:
JohnB

Re: triple baskets

Post by JohnB »

TomP10 wrote:
Recent info now pushes the target date for the first batch to sometime in May.

- Tom
Do you have any idea how many he will be making in the next "batch". Will he try to get everyone on the list at least one or should those of us closer to the bottom of the list plan on a long wait? In which case I would proceed with making my own.
Fred

Basket Update

Post by Fred »

Lino sent an update to Tom and I recently. He has 50 baskets from me which would yield 25 triples if all goes well. He has cut all of the baskets and done most of the jig design work. He is awaiting some special tooling that he ordered (it just shipped). All said and done, he is hoping to have some baskets completed by mid May, but we'll have to keep our fingers crossed!

Fred
JohnB

Re: Basket Update

Post by JohnB »

Fred wrote:Lino sent an update to Tom and I recently. He has 50 baskets from me which would yield 25 triples if all goes well. He has cut all of the baskets and done most of the jig design work. He is awaiting some special tooling that he ordered (it just shipped). All said and done, he is hoping to have some baskets completed by mid May, but we'll have to keep our fingers crossed!

Fred
Thanks for the update. So those of us near the bottom of the list will be waiting until the next batch comes together whenever that might be. I just wanted to get an idea before I went to the trouble & expense of making some up myself. Since any baskets I make up (if I go that route) will be done in house without precision custom tooling I doubt they'll be as nice as Lino's but at least I'll have one or two before my V2 wears out.
bluesman13

Post by bluesman13 »

Are folks interested in a triple basket so they overdose a double shot or just so they can put 24gr or so and 3oz (a triple?) in the Spaz for a real triple shot?
Weska

Post by Weska »

I had in mind a richer double. I expect that most of the cachet of the triple basket is connected to the desire for a big ristretto.
coffeeowl

Re: Basket Update

Post by coffeeowl »

Fred wrote:Lino sent an update to Tom and I recently. He has 50 baskets from me which would yield 25 triples if all goes well.(...)
...we'll have to keep our fingers crossed!
Fred
YEEEAAAH!!! :occasion2:
yes yes yes :coffee2: :color:
Sure I'm crossing mine right now! :)
JohnB

Re: Making your own triple basket

Post by JohnB »

I am looking into a no weld triple basket option. I should receive what I need in 7-8 days & I'll post the results here.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Interesting! Good luck!
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:I am looking into a no weld triple basket option. I should receive what I need in 7-8 days & I'll post the results here.
Make sure to make a no-ridge option :lol: .
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote:Make sure to make a no-ridge option :lol: .
Actually that may be the key to making these baskets fit. They shipped yesterday & are due in next Monday but the Fed Ex Ground service around here is horrendous so it could be longer.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

JohnB wrote:I am looking into a no weld triple basket option. I should receive what I need in 7-8 days & I'll post the results here.
Gorilla Glue?? :munky2:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote:
Gorilla Glue?? :munky2:
No cutting or joining required as it is already a triple basket! :twisted:

Return to “Triple Baskets”