S1 triple basket ?

The extended drought is over. LaSpaziale triple baskets are now available from Chris Coffee!
doppio

S1 triple basket ?

Post by doppio »

Is anyone using a triple basket with a naked PF on the S1? Does one even exist? I'm pulling pretty good doubles currently but was comparing tasting notes with a local barista on the taste of his shots of SO Harrar vs mine. He indicated that he noticed a huge improvement in taste when he switched to a triple on his LM. I thought it was worth a go on the S1.

- Paul
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Have you tried pulling smaller (less volume) shots?
I noticed that for most blends I've tried the color starts blonding around 1.5oz for a double. I used to make 2oz doubles before. Now that I am down to 1.5 (or sometimes less, you really have to watch the flow) I noticed more sweet and less bitter taste in my shots.
Also remember the S1 has 53mm baskets, if you want triple shots, you need a very deep basket, that has a very wide temperature gradient from top to bottom, therefore you'll get a wider spectrum of taste from bitter down to sour components.
I don't know of anyone who has tried a triple it yet, but I'm happily pulling smaller volumes with my double basket.

Wolfgang
doppio

Post by doppio »

Wolfgang - I too have started pulling smaller doubles and have noticed the same positive effect on taste. At 1.5oz, are you still pulling at 25 - 30sec? Even with the smaller doubles, I notice the shot starts getting blonde around 20sec. I am playing with my grind but it seems that the early blonding usually happens in conjunction with chanelling.
I realize the double basket on the S1 is pretty deep (I read somewhere that
its depth was comparable to a LM triple), so the depth dimensions of a triple basket on the S1 would be prohibitive. Why did La Spaziale decide on a 53mm design anyway and why does 58mm seem to be the standard? Are there engineering reasons behind this or is it like the reason a bottle of wine is 750ml due to lung capacity when the glass was blown to make the bottles ?
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

doppio wrote:Why did La Spaziale decide on a 53mm design anyway and why does 58mm seem to be the standard?
That's a good question, I'd also like to know that!
I remember when the machine was first introduced at the SCAA conference, several people were wondring about that, and I never found a good answer. I have read some speculations about being less prone to channeling with a deeper basket, but after 9 monts with it I really doubt that.

And as your 20 seconds: Yes, I'm still pulling 25 seconds shots. And I frequently see early blonding in my shots sometimes due to horizontal channelling. Dan Kehn remarked at CoffeeGeek http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/worldr ... 2461#52461, and I see it too: From the flow it seems to be a perfect shot, just a little bit too early thinning or blonding. If you knock out your puck, it'll break apart horizontally.

Wolfgang[/url]
NewEnglandCliff

Triple Basket

Post by NewEnglandCliff »

I've been using a filter basket profesionally modified by a machinist/welder. This basket holds 4 more grams of coffee or 36-40 additional beans, yet still fits into the stock portafilter handle. Filled to the bottom of the retaining spring groove (tamped), I measured the stock double to hold 17 grams while the modified basket holds 21. The La Marzocco triple basket is said to hold 21 grams.

I've found that the deeper basket results in no more sour or bitter flavors than the shorter basket. It's only 1-2mm longer than the LM triple. And I've found that it channels less, as well.

The real advantage to this is the superior espresso! I'm now pouring the richest, most full bodied double shots I've ever had on this machine. And they were great before. My double shots now pour with virtually no blonding. What you really end up with is a double ristretto.

I'll tell you one thing for certain - I'm not going back.
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Sounds really interesting!
Any chance you could post a pic of your new basket (and maybe a couple of shots)?

Wolfgang
NewEnglandCliff

The triple basket is made by cutting two stock double baskets at different places and then welding the two larger halves together. I'm working on some photos. Here's one showing the triple basket on the left. If you look closely you can see the cut where the 2 halves meet about a quarter inch above the retaining spring ridge. The cuts are extremely clean. The baskets haven't been welded at this stage. The center basket is a stock uncut double basket, while the right basket shows the two remaining smaller sections nested together. The smaller one works out to have the same volume as a stock single basket.

The two pieces are fuse welded from the inside using a tig welder in a custom "hands-free" jig. That allows a full (or near full) penetration without the inaccuracies and mess of manually adding filler rod. Since the weld is done from the inside, there is a smooth clean surface like
you'd want inside an FB.

Last edited by NewEnglandCliff on Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Now I'm jealous!

This basket is beautifully made!

Now does it really fit into the PF, or do you have to go bottomless?

Wolfgang
NewEnglandCliff

Yes, there is enough room in a regular portafilter for the triple filter. It doesn't even touch the bottom. It was constructed specifically so that it would fit this way, just for the La Spaziale S1.

Once the two sections are fused together there is a thin but smooth and very nearly flush weld bead around the seam. You can fine sand it entirely smooth if you like, since it's fused all the way through, but I've found no need to touch mine.

Here's a photo of the welding in action:

It's apparent he went to great length to do this properly.
Last edited by NewEnglandCliff on Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewEnglandCliff

To clarify, the double shots I'm pouring with the "triple" basket are 1-1/2oz. with not a hint of blonding; a superior pour.

Regarding doppios question about the La Spaziale not having a standard size group, 58mm is not a standard. It certainly has it's proponents, but there is really no standard and no consensus on what size makes a better cup.

In addition to my S1 I also have an E61 machine and they can produce similar shots (I use an LM triple on the E61). The E61 has the added plus of pre-infusion, and heats the grouphead with water circulation. There's nothing stopping other manufacturers from designing these features into their groupheads using any diameter basket they wish.

The S1 uses direct conduction to heat the grouphead, resulting in a more stable temperature than the water circulation used by E61s. I prefer the former in usage. Of course, there are other reasons I prefer the S1 which we're all aware of. BTW, my E61 is a Salvatore Espresso Semi-automatic.

I do believe that the S1 basket reduces the occurences of channeling. But I'll bet another reason La Spaziale went with this size is the same reason any manufacturer designs parts that only fit its products; so that you have to buy their replacement parts or additional accessories.

Back to the S1 triple basket, here's a photo of three naked portafilters holding a modified single basket on the left, the stock double in the middle (note how much room is left for a deeper basket), and then the fabricated triple basket on the right:

Last edited by NewEnglandCliff on Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

So is this guy and/or you interested in going into business making some of these for other S1 users. If so, you can count tme in.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
barjohn

Post by barjohn »

Yes, you may be able to count me in too provided it isn't prohibitively expensive.
NewEnglandCliff

I've posed that question to him and he's receptive to any requests. I don't know what the price will be, but it will certainly be less than what I paid ( guess who ate the cost of much of the setup). Still, it was probably the cheapest investment I've made to make such a welcome improvement in my shots.

Most of you Baristas are probably already familiar with his work. This was done by Lino Verna of Verna Design, Inc. He's a mechanical engineer/machinist/welder with roots in Italy, who also happens to have a big interest in espresso. He makes the naked portafilters for the S1 that Chris Coffee sells.

You might be able to buy one from him directly, but he said if he gets much of a response he'll probably sell them through Chris Coffee.

He guarantees his work. You can reach him at lino@vernadesign.com. Here's a link to an informational webpage about him and his business posted at Dan Kehn's home-barista.com (it was Dan who recommended Lino to me when I told him I was looking for someone to make one of these):

http://www.home-barista.com/verna-design.html
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Thanks for the info. I'll contact him directly. Maybe I can get Chris to drop ship a couple of baskets directly to him to expedite the process for me since I don't have two spare baskets lying around.

I had also thought about the notion that Chris might want to sell these if there is enough groundswell of support. Perhaps we can create one :wink:

Any idea if this is the guy that makes the bottomless PF's that Chris sells. If that is also true, it should be a slam dunk to get Chris to resell some of these baskets if the price isn't too outrageous. Otherwise, the best long term solution is to find a comapny that makes baskets and see if they can be convinced to just make some of this size. But that would probably take a pretty significant demand - may be higher than that the total number of S1 owners!
Chas
Hottop P/B
NewEnglandCliff

Yes, Lino is the one who makes Chris' naked portafilters. I'd spoken to Mary (Chris' sales chief), whom I met personally, about this project some time ago and she said they'd be interested in offering them on their site. She shipped some baskets to Lino for me, as well. You won't even need to give her his address.

One thing you'll want to do is make sure you get the proper basket. It seems La Spaziale makes at least 2 slightly different versions of their double baskets. One will have a more rounded joint between the side wall of the basket and the base (having a larger "radius") while the other will have a more squared off joint between the side wall and the base (having a much smaller radius, or almost a sharp 90 angle). This latter design will have about an extra gram capacity.

Lino made "triple" baskets for me using both designs and the rounded joint basket held 20 grams of coffee, while the squared off joint basket held a solid 21 grams. You should probably let him deal with getting the right baskets because Chris Coffee is not aware of the difference, to my knowledge.

Lino offered to make an even larger (deeper) S1 basket and bore the portafilter hole larger so that the basket would extend through it, if you're really looking for extra capacity. I chose not to go that way so I could still use it in a regular (ie. uncut) portafilter, but there wouldn't be all that much more work (expense) involved. And making it too large might be detrimental, but it's hard to say what would be too large. Having the basket come down flush with the bottom of a bored out naked portafilter might be nice, just like the Rancilio portafilters he modifies.

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I've inquired with Lino as have a couple of others. (I've attached his note below.) The bottom line is that he plans to purchase 20 baskets from Chris and make 10 triples. He already has requests for 5. As soon as he gets 5 other requests via posting in the Forum, those folks will get a crack at the first batch. See his note for additional details.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys.

Glad to hear about the interesting the baskets!
Here's the situation:
At this point Chris is not interested in selling them, part of the reason is that pricing is still uncertain...

Here's what I plan on doing. I'm going to buy 20 (or so) PFs from Chris ( and hopefully get a qty discount), then modify them. That will give me a good idea of how long they take (therefore how much $ my work
adds) as well as the yield. It's tricky to weld these so if I screw
up, there will be a blemish I cannot completely remove. The basket will still be fully functional, just won't look as nice. It'd be a shame to throw those away, so I'll probably offer those at some discount.

Here's how I'd like to proceed:
You guys could make a post on your forum so that 10 are available for "dibs"... and the first posts get them, no need to bombard me with emails (please). Actually it's 5 available, since Tim and Chas have both claimed two and one is earmarked for Cliff.
This would not be a commitment to buy since I cant tell the price yet nor do I know how many blems there will be. Not til they're done.

Once these 10 are done, if the "dibbbers" still want them at the price I state, we'll go forward, if not they'll be up for grabs again.

After the first 10 I'll check with Chris again about him selling them since I'll know the price.

does that all make sense?

ciao

lino
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

We still have 3 unspoken for. Any takers?

As previously noted this is an unbinding reservation. If the final price exceeds your budget, you can back out or only buy one instead of two (for those that requested 2).
Chas
Hottop P/B
sbarry

S1 triple basket

Post by sbarry »

I'm new here but its apparent this is THE PLACE for S1 information. It's hard to imagine improving further on my S1 (thanks for the alt screen config tip) but I'll give this one a try.

Please add me to the triple basket conversion list. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

We still have 3 unspoken for. Any takers?
Chas, sorry didn't look at this site for some time.

Please put me down for one triple basket!

Wolfgang
dougny

Post by dougny »

Me 3! I'll have one. New to the forum.
Picked up S1 last Friday from Chris in Albany.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

OK, all 10 are spoken for. However, some of the folks may back out once the price is known. So if anyone wants to "fly standby" let me know and I'll start a 2nd list.
Chas
Hottop P/B
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

I currently pack 19 grams in my double bottomless PF, but my ideal tasting shots run to 45 seconds vs 28 seconds. Perhaps the triple basket is a goood idea and I'll email Verna Design straight away.

Thanks for the info and ground work in producing the triple basket.

- Derek
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

I didn't read further down the posts, before posting my reply about contacting Lino directly.

I would definitely be interested in purchasing a triple basket. Perhaps Lino would be interested in increasing the initial production?

- Derek Sherman
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

Derek,

I reserved two, you are welcome to grab one of mine.

TP
NewEnglandCliff

dsherman wrote:I currently pack 19 grams in my double bottomless PF, but my ideal tasting shots run to 45 seconds vs 28 seconds. Perhaps the triple basket is a goood idea and I'll email Verna Design straight away.

Thanks for the info and ground work in producing the triple basket.

- Derek
Your welcome. When you think about it, it was quite a lucky stroke to have been introduced to Lino (albeit via email). How many people do you think there are who are both skilled at machining as well as welding, and also have an interest in espresso and understand what we're looking for? I'd guess one. And coming from an italian household doesn't hurt either.

His work ethic is tough to beat, as well. Really, he's voluntered much of the setup labor to make this happen. And what are the odds he'd happen to live in the same area as Dan Kehn, the champion of our cause. Very serendipitous. I doubt we'd have these great naked portafilters, and now these filter baskets if they'd never met. Who knows what could be next?

If you're packing 19 grams into the double basket, you can't be leaving enough space between the screen and the coffee grinds to allow for proper water distribution. Aren't you cramming the grinds into the screen when you install the portafilter? This will contribute to channeling and poor extraction, plus more grinds clogging up the screens. And why are you pouring 45 second shots? Is your grind very fine, or do you just let it run longer to get a larger drink? I've got to think your either getting an extremely fine under extracted steam with little crema (if the grind is too fine), or over extracting with a lot of bitter blonding, no?
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

padillatim wrote: I reserved two, you are welcome to grab one of mine.

TP
Thank you. I would love to be in on the first run of triple baskets. Very gracious offer.

Thank you, again...Derek
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

NewEnglandCliff wrote:If you're packing 19 grams into the double basket, you can't be leaving enough space between the screen and the coffee grinds to allow for proper water distribution. Aren't you cramming the grinds into the screen when you install the portafilter? This will contribute to channeling and poor extraction, plus more grinds clogging up the screens. And why are you pouring 45 second shots? Is your grind very fine, or do you just let it run longer to get a larger drink? I've got to think your either getting an extremely fine under extracted steam with little crema (if the grind is too fine), or over extracting with a lot of bitter blonding, no?
There's actually room for the puck to expand and I'm getting plenty of crema (2/3) and no bitter blonding. This is using Black Cat. I do notice that when I use Paradise Roasters my pour is closer to 28 seconds.

- Derek
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Derek, OK send me your contact info to the address noted in the above post and I'll add you and decrement Tim's quantity
Chas
Hottop P/B
NewEnglandCliff

dsherman wrote:I do notice that when I use Paradise Roasters my pour is closer to 28 seconds.

- Derek
Have you tried adjusting the grind to get a 45 sec. pour with the Paradise Roasters?
NewEnglandCliff

VernaBasket

Whatever the amount of coffee is that you're tamping into your stock double basket, you can expect to get an additional 4 grams with this modified basket. A traditional double is 14 grams, and a triple is 21. This is what the La Marzocco triple is said to hold and why I referred to this basket as a triple - because mine easily holds 21 grams. Considering what some people are actually getting into the stock double (perhaps depending on the oilyness or varying weight of the particular coffee), and that it should take another 7 grams to be a triple this is a misnomer. Perhaps it should be called a VernaBasket.
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

Have you tried adjusting the grind to get a 45 sec. pour with the Paradise Roasters?
I only have Black Cat on hand and should receive Paradise Roasters Espresso & Nuevo for the weekend. I'll let you know my experience. As to my pour time, I've found that I much prefer taste to watching the time too closely.

- D
barjohn

Post by barjohn »

Any word on when the baskets will be available and the final price?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Nope. lino has our contact info now. I suspect we should all hear directly from him.
Chas
Hottop P/B
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Quick update.

Got all the parts cut today. I'll start welding tomorrow or sat. Too much coffee to weld steadily today...

Looks like I'll setup a paypal acct.

Hopefully on Sunday I'll be done, then I'll email prices etc.

ciao

lino
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

As an aside, I can get 19 grams of coffee into the standard double basket with no problem by tamping ten grams and then topping up with another nine.

I'm still interested in getting a Lino, Triple though.

Bob :)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Bob:

The first pilot production run of 10 units is already spoken for. You can be 2nd in line flying standby in case any of the pilot customers backs out when they find out the price. If lino sticks to schedule we should know in the next few days.
Chas
Hottop P/B
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

Chas,

Sounds fair to me. I'm sure that one way or another I will be able to get one eventually. :)

Bob
doppio

Post by doppio »

Chas wrote:Bob:

The first pilot production run of 10 units is already spoken for. You can be 2nd in line flying standby in case any of the pilot customers backs out when they find out the price. If lino sticks to schedule we should know in the next few days.
Chas - I've been extremely remiss in checking with this post and I've totally missed out. Please add me to the list for round two or if anyone backs out of the first pilot production run of 10 units.
Thanks - Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The first 10 went like hot cakes. They all sold out within hours of availability. So far there are two folks who've asked for one from the next go around. lino is not sure yet whether he'll run things the same way the next time or not. I'll keep you posted.

Next up is to check in here for reviews along about the end of the week when they start to arrive.
S1 Cafe Admin
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Got my triples today. First drink was my standard afternoon iced americano. Tasted pretty good. Will report back when I have a few more shots under my belt for comparison.
Chas
Hottop P/B
sbarry

Post by sbarry »

I've pulled six shots with the new triple basket and my wife, nephew and I all think our cappucino is much richer. There was no blonding in the pours. Looking forward to trying it with a blend I'm more familiar with next.
doppio

Post by doppio »

admin wrote: So far there are two folks who've asked for one from the next go around. lino is not sure yet whether he'll run things the same way the next time or not. I'll keep you posted.
I'm really angry with myself for missing out on the first batch of these :evil: Any word on when the next order will be taken? C'mon... you know you want one! Let's get another group to show interest. Support the cause - help change doppio to triplo :wink:
sbarry

Post by sbarry »

I'll sign up for another one when the order for the next batch forms. I'm getting tired of shuttling my one triple from the bottomless to double spout pf.
lino

Post by lino »

Hello all,

I've started the ball rolling on the next batch. No timeframe yet.

Situation is that Chris' Coffe doesn't have enough in stock right now, they are ordering more and should let me know soon about timeframe. Once I get them, it'll be at least a couple weeks after that before they're ready.

Also, I'll probably sell the next set on ebay, using fixed, buy it now pricing. The intent is to promote a "fist come first served" fairness. Since demand is above supply right now they go fast and there can be some discussion on who is in line first, particularly since this welding process creates seconds, or blems. Any comments, or reasons I shouldn't use ebay?

thanks

lino
doppio

Post by doppio »

lino wrote:Hello all,

Any comments, or reasons I shouldn't use ebay?
Lino,
The ebay approach sounds fine. I've had only good experiences with items bought on ebay so no reasons not to use it (unless others object). Please let us know when you are ready to sell.

Paul
daerider

Re: Triple Basket

Post by daerider »

NewEnglandCliff wrote:I've been using a filter basket profesionally modified by a machinist/welder. This basket holds 4 more grams of coffee or 36-40 additional beans, yet still fits into the stock portafilter handle. Filled to the bottom of the retaining spring groove (tamped), I measured the stock double to hold 17 grams while the modified basket holds 21. The La Marzocco triple basket is said to hold 21 grams.

I've found that the deeper basket results in no more sour or bitter flavors than the shorter basket. It's only 1-2mm longer than the LM triple. And I've found that it channels less, as well.

The real advantage to this is the superior espresso! I'm now pouring the richest, most full bodied double shots I've ever had on this machine. And they were great before. My double shots now pour with virtually no blonding. What you really end up with is a double ristretto.

I'll tell you one thing for certain - I'm not going back.
NEC,
I just received my triple basket from Lino today and I have to echo your assessment of the shot quality. My Single ristretto with a double basket 17g of coffee and 1.5oz shot volume were amazing, but with 22g of coffee (my baskets are 54.2mm so I can stuff a little more into them) and 2oz shot volume I produce a truly spectacular espresso! No early blonding, no channeling, if fact I can extract almost 3oz before blonding starts to occur. Simply amazing! If you love ristrettos then this is a must have item. My office mates and I went through a pound of beans this morning and out of 20 or so shots, only one shot made it into a cappacino. What a great way to start the morning.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Was there anyone that wanted a triple basket not able to get one on EBay before they sold out?

Update: Actually there is still one blem left, so I guess the pent up demand has been met.
S1 Cafe Admin
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I wanted one - but I missed the e-Bay sale!! :x
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unless I'm reading it wrong there still appears to be one "blem" basket remaining: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... E%3AIT&rd=

I have a blem. It's only a cosmetic issue which shouldn't matter since this is an internal part that doesn't show anyway.
Last edited by admin on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
S1 Cafe Admin
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

It seems you're correct, but since the auction is closed I can't buy it! :x

I sent a message to Lino through e-Bay that I want it, but I don't know if he'll check his e-mails anytime soon...

I have NO problem with a blem, that's for sure!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Lino:

Please put me down as interested in two from your next run. Blems are fine.

TIA,
Fred
javajay

Post by javajay »

I am very interested in a triple basket as well. I just received my S1 last week! So far I am very happy. I have been using a 58mm triple with Silvia (the only basket I ever used) and would like to get back to a triple with my S1. Already have a Verna bottomless PF so just yearning for the basket. Please include me in the next run.
Very interested!
Jay

BTW... This is my first post to the S1 forum. Great site with tons of interesting information. Thanks to all!
daerider

Extra Triple!

Post by daerider »

I'm selling one of my S1's and replacing it with a LaMarzocco Linea 2 group and have a perfect triple basket that I'm willing to part with if anyone is interested. Please PM me directly.

Sold!
Last edited by daerider on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lino

Post by lino »

Hey Guys,

I'm currently all out.

I do plan to order some more baskets this week, and hope to have those made up sometime near the end of April.

I'll try and keep the forum posted.

ciao

lino
javajay

Re: Extra Triple!

Post by javajay »

daerider wrote:I'm selling one of my S1's and replacing it with a LaMarzocco Linea 2 group and have a perfect triple basket that I'm willing to part with if anyone is interested. Please PM me directly.
PM sent....
Jay
lino

Post by lino »

Okay,

Just a quick update...
Just received my order of 30 baskets from Chris. That'll make 15 triples.
Going to SCAA tomorrow, so with any luck I'll be able to get started on them in a week or two. (however, knowing me, this may be wishful thinking...)

I'll do the ebay thing again.

More later

ciao

lino

Return to “Triple Baskets”