JAMMED Mazzer Mini Doserless

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
Niko

JAMMED Mazzer Mini Doserless

Post by Niko »

The little grinder that could - could no longer grind because it hit a brick wall. The motor was spinning but grinds stopped coming out, then the motor sounded funny so I immediately stopped it. Looked like exit chute was jammed up with old grinds and the screen looked pretty fouled up with bits of chaff and other nasties. Yes, I haven't cleaned the grinder since April :oops: but I've been regularly running "Grindz" through it every 6 weeks, apparently this is not enough and a complete disassembly was in order to clear up this mess.
One of the symptoms I noticed is that the grinder was taking longer to do its job, I had the dosing cranked up all the way to the maximum time and it was barely finishing a double dose.
Last edited by Niko on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Thanks for that reminder. I should take advantage of being on vacation this week and do that to mine as well. When I have most of the gunk out, I like to take it out in the garage where I have a small compressor for pumping up the car tires and blast the hell out of it. I am always amazed how much crap comes out even after I think it is clean - even from deep down in the chassis.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
bbqnut

Re: JAMMED Mazzer Mini Doserless

Post by bbqnut »

Niko wrote:Yes, I haven't cleaned the grinder since April :oops: but I've been regularly running "Grindz" through it every 6 weeks, apparently this is not enough and a complete disassembly was in order to clear up this mess.
I told you....

:D :twisted:
Niko

Re: JAMMED Mazzer Mini Doserless

Post by Niko »

bbqnut wrote: I told you....
:D :twisted:
I know, I know.... :roll:

Funny thing is that the MACAP is doing just fine, it bailed me out of my Mazzer-Misery. I've never taken that one apart either for a full cleaning :oops:
Any advice on that one? The Mazzer was too easy and waaaaaaay easier than how those guys on H-B described it. I had no problem whatsoever re-assembling the burrs and I didn't know anything about pushing down on some tension springs.
...? tension-springs-my-ass, I just slapped the burrs back together (carefully of course) and started twisting it back on counter-clockwise, it was back together in no time flat.
Never mind the 45 minutes it took to clean the little @#$%er.
The Demi-God shot I had with it this morning proves it's back in business!
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

I just use common sense, cafiza, hot water, a wooden skewer, a towel, and a stiff wire brush. If you get in between all the little blades on both burrs, it should only take about 15 minutes from start to finish.

But it sounds like you got it.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I assume you've dismantled your MACAP for a cleaning?
I have the stepless worm-gear driven version so I'm guessing I have to keep twisting the little adjustment knob until the top burr set is all the way out...this should only take a few years the way it operates :lol:
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Niko wrote:I assume you've dismantled your MACAP for a cleaning?
I have the stepless worm-gear driven version so I'm guessing I have to keep twisting the little adjustment knob until the top burr set is all the way out...this should only take a few years the way it operates :lol:
Many times on all accounts (my MACAP is stepped though)...as well as the Mazzer Mini and Super Jolly that I used to own, all very similar operations.
acman8

Post by acman8 »

If you take off the black plastic ring first, you can just unscrew the upper burr assembly by hand. It's way faster than trying to use the worm drive mechanism.
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's the plastic parts that scare me...I don't want to break anything plastic. The Mazzer is bullet-proof and it isn't very intimidating with all the metal.

I don't have the MACAP in front of me right now, how does that plastic ring come off? Hard to imagine it without a visual at the moment...
acman8

Post by acman8 »

It has 3 small phillips screws that bolt it to the upper burr assembly. Just unscrew them and pull the ring straight up. No worry about damage just be careful with the screws themselves because they are very small and it's easy to strip the phillips head if you don't use a small enough screw driver and put a little pressure on them while unscrewing. I've probably done this a half dozen times with no problems.
Niko

Post by Niko »

OK, now I have the "visual"...I remember those 3 small screws.
Nice!
I guess the MACAP is up next for a cleaning after, after...after who knows how many years :? :lol:

Return to “Coffee Grinders”