New grinder in the house. . . Compak K10 Fresh

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
JonF

New grinder in the house. . . Compak K10 Fresh

Post by JonF »

I decided to upgrade from the B. Vario. After reading a LOT of reviews I went with the Compak K10 Fresh. So far so good. I think my Vario was showing it's age a little, and I just could not control the grind well enough. Tried cleaning, calibrating, etc, but just decided to upgrade.

Not a bad match for the Vivaldi! By the way, the mat in front of the grinder is a Cafelat tamping mat I cut to fit. If you ever try this, they are really strong, but cut great with a band saw . . .
vivaldi.jpg
vivaldi.jpg (171.97 KiB) Viewed 13826 times
peter

Re: New grinder in the house. . . Compak K10 Fresh

Post by peter »

Good move, Jon... a marriage made in heaven. Those two look like they were made for each other.
innermusic

Post by innermusic »

The view from the window is a nice added touch.
JonF

Post by JonF »

peter wrote:Good move, Jon... a marriage made in heaven. Those two look like they were made for each other.
Thank Peter! Almost used to the large size . . . and wow, is this heavy! But really nice grind.
innermusic wrote:The view from the window is a nice added touch.
Thanks--my wife's hobby is a couple of horses that we keep on our small farm. Kind of fun to look out the window and see them . . .
LDT

Post by LDT »

Can you or any other forum members comment about the amount of grounds retention with this grinder? After reading about all the issues with the new HG One, I am considering this grinder as a replacement for my Baratza Vario. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
JonF

Post by JonF »

LDT wrote:Can you or any other forum members comment about the amount of grounds retention with this grinder? After reading about all the issues with the new HG One, I am considering this grinder as a replacement for my Baratza Vario. Thanks.

There are a few threads over at HB regarding this. I see figures from 4 to 6 grams, but no clear consensus.
peter

Post by peter »

JonF wrote:
LDT wrote:Can you or any other forum members comment about the amount of grounds retention with this grinder? After reading about all the issues with the new HG One, I am considering this grinder as a replacement for my Baratza Vario. Thanks.

There are a few threads over at HB regarding this. I see figures from 4 to 6 grams, but no clear consensus.
The only way I'd imagine it could be 4-6 grams is starting w/ a completely stripped-apart-and-blown-out condition, but not for day to day single-dosing. I can't say that the burr chamber on my WBC and a Fresh are identical because I haven't looked inside a Fresh, but on mine, the sweeper under the lower burr has very close tolerances to the burr chamber that there's .5g tops in there. As an aside, I'm happy to leave it in there too.

I had mine apart a month ago for the first time in a couple years. There was so little coffee residue inside I asked myself why I was messing with it. After cleaning the burrs, the burr chamber, and the doser, I weighed the input/output and it was down about 2.5g, and I suspect some was in the chute and some in the doser w/ a tiny amount in the burr chamber.

Mine does an unexplainable and strange thing; I weigh out 16g for each double - that's all I make - and on every other grind the output swings up and down by a few tenths. I just make a mental note and vary the amount, alternately going in up or down to compensate.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

peter wrote: I can't say that the burr chamber on my WBC and a Fresh are identical because I haven't looked inside a Fresh, but on mine, the sweeper under the lower burr has very close tolerances to the burr chamber that there's .5g tops in there.
I hate to disagree with you Peter, but this is not entirely true. ;-)
Coffee retention for a K10 Fresh model where it is not possible to completely clear the chute will be more than 0.5g and this has nothing to do with the burr chamber which I believe is the same for all K10 model. Your 0.5g number, obviously refer to a doser model used in a single dosing manner where you are clearing/brushing the chute between dose.

Your comment and a recent Robur retention thread on HB has prompted me to try to elaborate a definition and procedures for coffee retention such that we can all share this valuable piece of information in a useful fashion.

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/co ... 25200.html

I invite everyone in reading and helping to define this once and for all.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
peter

Post by peter »

Your definition, like all the discussion, is not wrong, but misguided. :-P Sorry, I just had to quote our buddy Jim. :blackeye:

I agree with your ideas 100%, but in the reality of day to day use, it's a non-issue (at least for me); what comes out each time is close enough to what goes in each time, and whatever stays in between grinds has little to no bearing on the shots.

But you make a good point as to the difference between a K10 w/ a doser and the ability to clean the chute vs. a K10 Fresh. If coffee gets hung up in the chute w/ no good way to clean between grinds, I would be unhappy.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Although I recognise his knowledge and ability to put it into word, Your "buddy" is no friend of mine... :twisted:
peter wrote:I agree with your ideas 100%, but in the reality of day to day use, it's a non-issue (at least for me); what comes out each time is close enough to what goes in each time, and whatever stays in between grinds has little to no bearing on the shots.

It is true that it is a non-issue if you single dose and (can) clean the chute between shots and session. Retention of 0,5g, as you quoted, is certainly negligible.
peter wrote:But you make a good point as to the difference between a K10 w/ a doser and the ability to clean the chute vs. a K10 Fresh. If coffee gets hung up in the chute w/ no good way to clean between grinds, I would be unhappy.
That is the whole point of the proposed definition and procedure... but you guys all have better things to do then to discuss this... :mrgreen: I will try to clarify my thought for those that have nothing better to do...
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?

Return to “Coffee Grinders”