Vario vs SJ vs Mazzer Major

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
gene

Vario vs SJ vs Mazzer Major

Post by gene »

Tried asking this question offline of JohnB earlier today and it spit my question back at me. I have the Vario and while I'm happy with it have a chance to pick up a Super Jolly at a good price. This one looks like crap, needs new burrs but will it be much of an improvement in the cup? Cost of SJ plus burrs plus shipping will be north of $300.
Then read some threads where someone says they sold their SJ and bought Major. Implied Major was so much better than SJ.

Would value answer to perplexing questions re your impressions. Remember-I didn't pay my dues. Basically Vario is my first grinder and La Spaz my first espresso machine so don't have experience to form my own opinions.
Thanks, gene
Louis

Re: Vario vs SJ vs Mazzer Major

Post by Louis »

[upgraditis reality check]
Based on your last paragraph, I would recommend you first get some hands on with both your grinder and espresso machine. Both are capable of excellent espresso. While the Vario is not built like a tank, as the Mazzers you're looking at are, it has proven itself as being capable of Titan class grind (look for Vario + Titan grinder project on Home-Barista). Moving to a Super Jolly would be more like a lateral move, in terms of cup quality. Moving to a bigger grinder (Major, Robur, K10, etc.) would imply a lot bigger machine (counter space, height) and adapt to their own quirks. From my own understanding, only a big conical grinder will surpass the Vario in terms of cup quality.

I owned a Rocky before (sub Mazzer Mini-class). I now own a Vario and my only issue with it is grind adjustment, especially when cleaning it: grind adjustment shifts considerably. Once calibrated, I'm very happy with it.

When you feel your equipment is becoming your limiting factor (rather then yourself), it will always be time to upgrade and other deals will come.
[/upgraditis reality check]
Last edited by Louis on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Vario is a home grinder. The Mazzers ae HUGE commercial grinders and require a LOT of space. Wives don't like Mazzers, but if you have the space and like the commerical look, they are hard to beat. I don't feel there is a huge difference in taste between the 3, but the Mazzers are definitely more consistant. I get more channeling with the Vario than my SJ and I prefer the SJ for that reason. On the other hand, when I have a dinner party, nothing is faster an more convenient than the Vario. If you do drip, it does double duty (which can be a big plus too).

I've heard the Major is even more consistant than the SJ. The linear speed is high so it clumps less as well (no need for distribution...though my SJ wtih new burrs clumps very little as well). I'd get the Major if you can get a deal like the SJ, but if you are paying full price or $200 more than the SJ, I'd say skip it, since I doubt the difference is that big (though I have not tried the Major alongside my SJ and Vario).

So I'd say definitely get the SJ. It's a fun resto project. And if you paint it up and change burrs, you will probably be a able to make a profit if you decide to sell.
SwingT

Post by SwingT »

I got PM from Gene with no message, did have a link but no new activity on the link. so searched his posts found this thread.

Dunno about current values, but IIRC $300 for a SJ with new burrs would probably be the way I would go. Particularly if the body was in pretty good shape, some can be pretty well beat up, but will sand and paint beautifully, just depends on your budget and how you value your time.

I recall seeing a few posts about Varios not holding up as well, but that issue may well be resolved by now, and for that matter not sure how bad that situation was at the time.

I picked up a Major. It was a noticeable improvement over the SJ.

I also have a couple of Cremina's - one later model, and a 1987 model. For espresso, I prefer the Cremina's over the Vivaldi.

But the Vivaldi wins hands down on Capuccinos. Or if there is a crowd, or if I don’t have time to clean ( my wife somehow has managed to never learn how to clean a Cremina) or if I want to leave it on a long time ( only matters with 87 Cremina, the late model doesn’t overheat).

Why I am bringing up the Creminas, is that when I go on vacation - I take a Super Jolly and a 1987 Cremina. To me, that combination is as good and maybe slightly better than the Vivaldi and the Major.

Last several travel by car work trips - a three day, a five day, a week - and two seperate weeks travel by car vacations - super Jolly and 87 Cremina all the way.

Previously, I had used a hand grinder on vacation– which actually tasted nice, but the manual grinding gets old.

Look, if I like a Super Jolly enough to lug it into a motel, on one of their carts – it’s a damn good grinder. Sure, it weighs like 26 pounds. But, it sure tastes good.
Endo

Post by Endo »

SwingT,

We have very similar setups!

The Titan grinder review convinced me that the SJ was a good size for me to stop at. It compared very well with the big boys. I haven't tried a Major, but I've tried bigger planars (like the Super Caimano), and I felt the SJ was not that far off. The difference IS noticeable like you said, but I wouldn't call it significant.

As far as the Vario goes, it's a fragile machine made up of several plastic parts. It performs well for what it is, but I haven't been nearly as impressed as others have.

Now about the Cremina......... :smile:

This is the Vivaldi forum, so it wouldn't be right for me to say too much. I'll just say that my impressions seem to match yours. It even got me thinking crazy thoughts...like getting the 2011 version (doh....I must stop now before I do something crazy). I saw a used Cremina sell for $1450 on Ebay yesterday. Wow! My Cremina investment is outperforming my stock portfolio! I should have bought another.

BTW, my wife won't go near the Cremina. But the Vario and Vivaldi work perfectly for her when I'm away. It's a hard combo to beat for consistancy, ease of use and great taste.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I did receive a PM from Gene but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Between the SJ & Major I definitely prefer the Major. If anyone is interested I have both a nice lightly used 2006 SJ & a refurbished doserless (funnel conversion) Major that I'm not using. I would sell either one or possibly both. Contact me off list for details.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”