Preciso, Vario or ... now weighted grind Baratza???

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
GDK
God Shot

Preciso, Vario or ... now weighted grind Baratza???

Post by GDK »

What is the best espresso grinder that can fit under the kitchen cabinets? The clearance I have between counter top and cabinets is 17"/43cm - standard I guess. Budget is not a primary concern.

After much reading here and other forums, I see two contenders for now.

Vario:
Pros
- nice design, looks great next to the Mini
- good set of features
- great adjustability for espresso
Cons
- timed grinding does not always produce consistent dosing - fluctuations
- taste in the cup is often lacking when compared to other more expensive flat burr grinders (Mazer SJ, etc.)

Preciso
Pros
- better grinder at coarser settings (I do not need that)
- great espresso adjustability
- cheaper - not a biggie for me but as such, could be a temporary solution until next gen smaller grinders deliver top notch results
- conical burrs - is this a pro in reality. People claim brighter tasting espresso though it is hard to translate this to better or worse.
- a bit easier to switch between grind settings (for espresso). I alternate beans relatively often.
Cons
- design is not as nice as the Vario
- less features, though I do not mind weighting my doses
- lacks a bit in ergonomics compared to the Vario

Any thoughts? Other grinders that I should consider for the Vivaldi?
Last edited by GDK on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endo

Re: Preciso, Vario or other

Post by Endo »

If you want to fit the grinder under a 17" counter and money is not a major concern, I think the Vario is absolutely the grinder to get.

I haven't tried the Preciso yet but my I'm sure it's nowhere near as covenient to use as the Vario (with its timed dosing).

The Mazzers are bombproof, but the Vario is close in taste, superior in convenience, smaller in footprint, and looks absolutley beautiful sitting next to the S1 (IMO). It's as if they designed it to sit next to the Vivaldi since the metal, height, LEDS and black plastic are a perfect match.

The only downside of the Baratza grinders is how fragile they can be. For example, if you encounter a stone (and most people will if they home roast), the grinder will need to be sent back to a Baratza to be fixed or exchanged (I'm on #2 already). If you break the ceramic burrs, it's a big expense. They're Baratza customer support is fast for this, but some people may prefer to simply replace cheaper metal burrs themselves (like on the Mazzer).
GDK
God Shot

New Varios to have weighted grind!!!

Post by GDK »

Here is a whole new dimension to my question based on soon to be released Baratza products:

http://coffeegeek.com/opinions/coffeeat ... 04-19-2011

Vario E or Preciso with Esatto attachment??? I amd used to grind directly in the portafilter but this is still interesting.
Last edited by GDK on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endo

Re: Preciso, Vario or ... now weighted grind Baratza???

Post by Endo »

I wouldn't give up grinding into the PF. I bought the Vario for convenience.

The grind quality on these Baratzas is not good enough to start getting concerned about 0.2g variations in dose.
jbb
God Shot

Re: Preciso, Vario or ... now weighted grind Baratza???

Post by jbb »

The Vario on a scale is a something of a neat idea; wonder what the price will be. Might be useful in a shop environment. But for the home enthusiast it strikes me as having little advantage compared to just, well, having a Vario and a scale as separates. You can grind directly into the PF if you want to bang out shots. Or, if you want to exert more control over dosing, grind into the canister and weigh it out. Only takes a few seconds.
GDK wrote: Preciso
Pros
- conical burrs - is this a pro in reality. People claim brighter tasting espresso though it is hard to translate this to better or worse.
would be interesting to hear opinions on this, especially as better, more economical conical grinders for the home barista become available. my recollection on conicals is reading opinions more along the lines that conical burr grinders tend to produce a more mellow cup that brings out the caramels, vanillas, etc. maybe i'm off on that. the vario has been a definitely step up for me. so far i'm finding it performs best (or I should say the combination of the S1 plus the Vario plus me, since I can't separate these variables) for fruity highlights, chocolates, and wine-like notes. stuff on the brighter side. i'm actually finding myself now favoring blends that tend to go with this flow.

good luck with your decision. especially if you see yourself transitioning grinders in the near future, i don't think you can go to wrong with the Vario.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”