My New Macap M7D

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
symbology

My New Macap M7D

Post by symbology »

I had a Baratza Vario and while I was not disappointed with it, I found some things that I did not like about it. I have been thinking of upgrading for a while and have been looking at all the options. I finally decided on the Macap M7D. I really like the timed dosing of the Vario and I really hate the whack whack of the doser models. This did not leave me many choices. I considered the Versalab M3, the K10 Fresh, Macap M7D, and possibly trying to modify a La Cimbali Hybrid. In the end, I decided on the Macap.

I did not like the Vario because I found the grind setting to fluctuate a bit and the consistency in the cup was lacking. I also disliked the adjusters as it was very easy to bump one of them and not even notice it.

So far the M7D has worked out well.

The timed dosing seemed to be as accurate as the Vario, so that is a big plus. I don't mind measuring every dose, but I had to try and keep things easy for my wife.

As for the flavor, well it is a Titan. I find it much easier to dial in than the Vario and much more consistent pouring and tasting.

The grinder is huge. I knew it was big when I ordered it, but when I pulled it from the box I had a laugh. It is huge. lol Good thing we had the counter space, and my wife does not mind, as long as I am happy. :) I did have to remove the standard MEGA hopper and fabricated a smaller tube type out of a clear coffee mug. It is working out pretty well.

As for the ground retention in the chute, I think this is minimal. Much less than a doser model IMO.

I do waste some beans when starting a new session, but not much more than I did with the Vario, so it is not a big deal.

The grounds are nice and fluffy with no clumping.

The interface is interesting, but once I got used to it, I found it easy to get make adjustments.

This grinder has a single dose, double dose, and you can turn on/, or a constant, or pulse dose. I turned mine on, so I have 3 available dosing options. I wish it was easier to move between doses, but it is not that bad.

It does grind quickly. Almost too fast. On the Vario you are able to shake the PF and distribute the grounds as you go. That is not possible here. Less than 3 seconds for a double is not enough time to make any adjustments. Even though I never dose to the top of the PF basket, I still found it necessary to use a dosing funnel to keep things clean and neat.

I am not sure how the K10 fresh is going to be when it finally is available in the US and I did not feel like waiting for it. I also like the fact that the M7D is $500-600 less than the K10.

If you have the space and are looking for a large conical, I think this is a great option. The cost was not much more than buying a K10 Pro (WBC) and adding a good (used) timer. Also, on the plus side, the timer is not taking up extra space on the counter and there is no whack whack of the doser.
Endo

Re: My New Macap M7D

Post by Endo »

WOW, nice grinder. :shock: First time I saw one was this video, but I didn't know it was for sale yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5U1Y3ZSFnA
symbology

Post by symbology »

You know, it is true. I have not really had a really bad shot with this large conical grinder. Some have been better than others, but they have all been good. I love this thing. I don't know if my Vario had more issues than others as far as consistency, but there is no comparison to the consistency of this M7D.
charlesaf3
Macchiato

Post by charlesaf3 »

Been a while, but I'm thinking of a m7d. Any updates?
Vivaldi Mini II, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Rocky, Livia

Return to “Coffee Grinders”