Grinder Chat

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
The Paramedic

Grinder Chat

Post by The Paramedic »

My doserless Major has got a new friend. Just bought a used Mazzer Major Automatic for about 320 USD. :grin: I added the common mods, sweep and The Elvinator mod and removed the automatic side of the grinder. Just need new burrs (151 B) and it's as good as new.
My wife hasn't mentioned the secound grinder, I guess she's loving it then ;)
Attachments
spaz.2major2.jpg
spaz.2major2.jpg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 10347 times
The Paramedic

Re: Lights on

Post by The Paramedic »

I need your oppinion.

Is this too much?? 8)
Attachments
IMAG0159.jpg
IMAG0159.jpg (30.38 KiB) Viewed 10120 times
Endo

Post by Endo »

I used too think more than one grinder was silly. But after buying my Vario, I now realize how important it is to have a backup.

3 Mazzers though :shock: ....that might be a bit too much. Unless you plan on flipping them to make some $$.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Endo, I concur with a 2 grinder maximum on the counter. Though the number of backup grinders in reserve can be unlimited. :glasses7:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Yes, it's too much! 3 flat burr grinders?? Where's the Titan conical?
The Paramedic

Post by The Paramedic »

I already sold one, the doser model.
I bought it for about 320$ and then I moddet it with The Elvinator and Sweep mod, bought new burrs and sold it for 640$. A pretty good deal if you ask me. 8)

I'm not sure about buying a conical grinder. I would like to try a Robur up against my Major to see if I can taste the difference. I doubt it but it would be a fun experiment. I'm really really happy with my Majors. The are brutal fast and consistent, and in my oppinion nice looking. I'm consitering to paint them black and install a digital timer. let's see..

Kasper
Endo

Post by Endo »

I know what you mean. I also prefer the bigger planar burr grinders like the Major and Caimano over the conicals like the Robur. In my opinion, a used Major is by far the best grinder you can get for the price. I'd get one but it's just too big for my kitchen (even my SJ is a little beyond the wife factor limit).

But if I had the space and money to get any 2 grinders off my choice, I'd probably get a Major like yours (for my traditional espresso blends) and a big conical like John's K10 for the brighter SO coffees. This way you have a bit more grind diversity.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I left my doserless Major (paid $85 w/doser) on the coffeebar when I bought my K10WBC thinking I would switch back & forth. After a week I completely stopped using the Major as the K10 was just so much nicer to use. The grounds were much, much fluffier, consistency was greatly improved & you hardly ever have to play with the settings. The K10 is without a doubt the most forgiving grinder I have used plus it brought out layers of flavors in the cup that weren't there with the Major.

I really liked my Major but the K10 spoiled me completely. Can't even bring myself to use the SJ anymore so it's in storage while the Major gets used a couple times a month when I fire up the Microcasa which lives in a different part of the house. The K10WBC/Pro Barista is $1200 delivered over here & a much better choice for home use then the Robur with no loss of grind quality.
Endo

Grinder Chat

Post by Endo »

I find the Vivaldi and Mazzer (SJ or Major) to be the knee point of the espresso experience. I can see paying $2000 for a espresso machine and $400 for a used grinder, but after that, the next step seems to be 3x the price.

So unless I win the lottery, I'm at the end as far as upgrading goes.

I'm never too disappointed though. When I start getting upgrade fever, I wander over to my local roaster who has the latest and greatest setup in the world (a LaMarzocco Strada and an Electronic Robur) .....and I buy a $2 shot. :grin:

Return to “Coffee Grinders”