Blow out sale on Fiorenzato Doge grinders

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
Dodger1

Blow out sale on Fiorenzato Doge grinders

Post by Dodger1 »

I ran across this http://www.home-barista.com/marketplace ... 13895.html on HB and thought some of you might be interested.

FYI, the Fiorenzato Doge Conico Commercial Espresso Grinder - Dark Gray, would be the one I'd buy. Regular price: $1,705.00 US Dollars - Sale Price: $699.00 US Dollars.

That's one heck of a deal, on an excellent grinder!

Keith

BTW, An older version of that grinder was included in Jim Schulman's Titan Grinder Project @

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/ti ... ato#p49433
Endo

Re: Blow out sale on Fiorenzato Doge grinders

Post by Endo »

Wow. That is an awesome deal !

Like owning a new Robur for $699. Can't beat that (assuming you have the space).
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Wow, did you see all the beans that get trapped between the upper burr carrier and the chassis in the bottom photo? Reminds me of one reason I hated the Cimbali Max Hybrid.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

Is there a larger hopper offered- the standard 4.4lbs hopper is too small :grin: I wish I had the room (WAF) and/or the money. A small conical, not yet made, is probably in my future. Like the Pro-M but conical.
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

chas wrote:Wow, did you see all the beans that get trapped between the upper burr carrier and the chassis in the bottom photo? Reminds me of one reason I hated the Cimbali Max Hybrid.
Since I'm somewhat interested in buying that grinder, I emailed Jim regarding the trapped beans and here's his response:

http://www.home-barista.com/marketplace ... ml#p166752
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

Not a whole lot of information out there on the Conica, aside from Jim's positive review on the Titan Project and three apparently happy HB owners. However, given that limited information and the price, I just pulled the trigger on one. I also ordered the smaller hopper, along with the bits to install it.
Last edited by Dodger1 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

Dodger1 wrote:Not a whole lot of information out there on the Conica, aside from Jim's positive review on the Titan Project and three apparently happy HB owners. However, given that limited information and the price, I just pulled the trigger on one. I also ordered the smaller hopper, along with the bits to install it.

BTW, does anyone know someone who's looking to purchase a pristine 4 month old Vario?
Let us know all about this grinder. I might "need" one too.
Endo

Post by Endo »

There were only 2 or 3 available and I would bet they are now all gone.

Too bad. Best deal I ever saw.
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

Barabus wrote:Let us know all about this grinder. I might "need" one too.
I probably won't be able to give you any information until next weekend but If you see it on the "Swap Meet" board first, I'll make you one heck of a deal :grin:

Seriously, at the price I paid I know that if I don't like it, someone on eBay surly will. So I can't see how I could go wrong but there's always a slim chance that it will turn into a molten slag of useless metal, the day after the warranty expires.
Last edited by Dodger1 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I can't see much wrong with this grinder besides asthetics. But that's why it's $699.

Based on the specs, it should match up very well with the other big conicals that are 2 or even 3 times the price.
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

I buy a Compak K10 WBC and someone thinks it's ugly and then has unmitigated gall to say that he thinks the Cimbali Max Hybrid is beautiful?

I then buy a Fiorenzato Doge Conico and someone else gets all philosophical on me and thinks the aesthetics are wrong, i.e. it's ugly, but can't spell that word correctly?

What's a guy got to do to get respect around here? Heck I think my K10 WBC and Conico will look stunning together but evidently I don't know squat. ;-)
facepalm.jpg
facepalm.jpg (21.37 KiB) Viewed 18850 times
Endo

Post by Endo »

The beauty is in the eye of the bean-holder. HAHAHA :lol:

Actually, I think they all look like giant 1950's gumball machines. But if it makes you feel better, I think the K10 WBC probably has the best assthetics :roll: of any gumball machine out there. (Some of the custom painted K30s look pretty sweet too).

The only real beauty is in the cup.... and all your grinder should produce AMAZING results. If not.....just send one my way!
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

1st-line has sold out of all of their $699 "Blow out Sale" Conico's.

Could be that Jim had second thoughts about that price, because it's now been raised to $1,099 on their website. :roll:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

We may have to let Endo get away with one here, since he's come up with a useful new word:

assthetic - something with all the visual appeal of a horse's rear end (no offense to you equestrian espresso aficionados!)
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

chas wrote:assthetic - something with all the visual appeal of a horse's rear end (no offense to you equestrian espresso aficionados!)
LOL, I like it and if the shoe fits, well you know what I mean.
LJCoffeeGuy

Post by LJCoffeeGuy »

I had one of these in my cart at $699 and go to pay and it jumped to $1099.. Sent an email to sales but doubt they will accommodate (didn't have Jim's email).

Tell us how you you like the grinder.
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

highstrings wrote:I had one of these in my cart at $699 and go to pay and it jumped to $1099..

Tell us how you you like the grinder.
That's a bummer :-(

I'd suggest sending an email to 1st-line and put Attn: Jim in the subject line and explain everything to him. If he says he can't, and your still interested, I'd ask him if he'd be willing to split the difference and sell you one for $899, or?

I should get mine this Friday and will post a mini review sometime over that weekend. However, with new burrs, it's next to impossible to compare the grind quality of the Conico vs. my K10 WBC.

Keith
Endo

Post by Endo »

Dodger1 wrote:I should get mine this Friday and will post a mini review sometime over that weekend. However, with new burrs, it's next to impossible to compare the grind quality of the Conico vs. my K10 WBC.
My bet would be your new 72mm conical grinder would produce taste strikingly similar to your new 68mm conical grinder. :lol:
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

Here's a quick review:

The user's manual is next to useless but that seems to be the case for any espresso products, especially if they come from sunny Italy.

Size wise it's almost a twin of the K10 but it feels like it weighs about 5 more pounds. The upper burr assembly is a snap to remove and the burrs look very substantial, which they should given their size. However, cleaning out the chute is simply impossible, due to the layout inside of the hopper. So in order to properly clean out the chute, you'd have to remove the uppers burrs, which would be a PIA.

It does make more noise than the K10 at start up but not as loud as I was lead to believe by Jim S etc. Adjusting the grind is easy as can be but it's a little touchy in that regard, as a small change on the collar has a pretty large impact on the size of the grinds.

The sweeper will not have to be modified as it does an admirable job in its stock configuration.

Is it a WBC beater? IMO, not at $1,099 but at $699, yup.

Keith

Return to “Coffee Grinders”