Discussions about roaster hardware and the finer points of their use
coffeeowl

A winning espresso specialty drink

Post by coffeeowl »

Niko

Post by Niko »

Very nice...
I'm actually working on my signature drink :D
It requires a new roaster so I can roast my own cocoa beans to make chocolate :P

..OK, so maybe I'm not working on a sig drink, just looking for an excuse to buy a Behmor roaster :lol:
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

Niko, why the Behmor when you have a shiny new HT sitting there?

Cheers

Ian
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'll tell you why...
Because it's there! Just the same reason I bought the VivII when I already had a pretty new S1.
To tell you the truth - I'd like to knock out 1lb batches for family, friends and French Press coffee, keep the Hottop going for espresso only. Right now I'm using the iRoar2 every week for about 1-2lbs just for those reasons I mentioned, I'd love a roaster to do it in one or two sessions without melting either of my other roasters. Although it seems that the Hottops have a very long life and my iRoar refuses to die after 300 roasts.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

:)
I bet you'll end up with all three, stuff is stubborn at times :)
Is it possible (yes I know the manufacturer says 'no') to roast cocoa beans in the HotTop?
and btw, I read somewhere that someone was using his HotTop on a heat-proof surface, so, is it also warm-bottom :wink: or is it table-safe?
Niko

Post by Niko »

I wouldn't try cocoa beans in my Hottop. Although I don't see any harm in doing it but it would certainly void the warranty if the roaster smells like chocolate :lol:
coffeeowl wrote: I bet you'll end up with all three, stuff is stubborn at times)
Yes, it is very likely since the price is pretty reasonable.

Like I said on another post, it's about an hour drive for me to see a Behmor in person. Even though Sweet Maria's is probably about 35 minutes away I don't like crossing any of the 3 bridges here in the Bay Area...
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

The Behmor is rolling on on CoffeeGeek... :) fifteen pages!!!
I think it's great, but... it would be a run for HotTop if it gave at least some slight control over the roast, just as tiny as some kind of heater-silencer for example.

Return to “Roaster Equipment and Use”