Voiding My Warranty

Discussions about roaster hardware and the finer points of their use
keithcutter

Voiding My Warranty

Post by keithcutter »

I did a little modification to my new FreshRoast Plus 8. I'm sure this can't be a unique idea, but I haven't seen it before.

Basically, I removed the timer because I found that I was getting inconsistant results from a strict time-based roasting methodology.

The two switches I added (see photo) separately control the fan and the heating element. I'd say this is quite dangerous and am not recommending anyone else try it (how's that for a disclaimer?). OneImage reason it's dangerous is that someone could turn on the heater w/o the fan and melt-down the whole unit (and burn down your house).

However, I like it. I just switch on the fan and heat and wait for the degree of roast I'm after. Then I switch off the heat and let the fan do an initial cool-down of the beans. After a few minutes I transfer to a metal colinder and finish cooling over a fan.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nice mod.
I haven't heard of anyone doing that to a Freshroast, not many people have them.
That's a nice, quiet little roaster unlike the deafening iRoar series but I guess it's a trade-off for sound vs. quantity.
ScottW
Espresso

Post by ScottW »

keithcutter wrote: One reason it's dangerous is that someone could turn on the heater w/o the fan and melt-down the whole unit (and burn down your house).
Could you swap out the fan switch for a double-pole, and run the power to the heater through both switches? That way, you could ensure that the heater can only get power when the fan switch is also ON.

Return to “Roaster Equipment and Use”