behmor 1600

Discussions about roaster hardware and the finer points of their use
Lonny

behmor 1600

Post by Lonny »

I was trying to send Endo a PM, but it won't leave my outbox. I know there's a lot of information out there on the the behmor 1600 and the hottop. But I wanted to get someone's opinion that has the same equipment that I do. The big difference with me is, I didn't/still don't know much of anything with the whole espresso business let alone roasting my own beans. The only thing I do know is you need to stay with the roaster while it's roasting on account of fire hazard. Below is the PM I had put together for Endo.

Hello Endo,

I just got a mini vivaldi and the macap M7D grinder. I'm doing ok, but nothing.... WOW yet. I'm sure that will come in time. I have a question for you. I think I'd like to get a roaster. The roaster I'm kicking around is the behmor 1600, I know you currently use this machine and would like your input. I know next to nothing about espresso, let alone roasting coffee. With my knowledge base so low, would you think I could figure the roasting out in due time, or I'd be better just buying roasted beans from a well known roaster. Currently I've been using redbird, which is pretty good, and the price is $47 shipped for 5 lbs.

Best & Happy Holidays,
Lonny
Endo

Re: behmor 1600

Post by Endo »

Glad to chime in:

If you don't know much about espresso, I'd strongly suggest to try a few good blends out before moving over to roasting. I think it's important to limit your variables at the beginning. You have your hands full already with both a new machine AND a new grinder. Since you say you haven't had a WOW shot yet, I'd say you have some more work to do on learning your equipment and technique before introducing another variable. Or to put it another way, if you can't get a WOW shot with a good, classic gourmet blend (like say Black Cat), then you stand little chance with your own roast.

Besides, there are just SO many great gourmet roasts to try. You may find you like SO's from a certain region. You may find your taste is towards a certain Italian blend. Who knows? Once you find out what you like, the fun is in trying to recreate it with your own roast (a lot like home brewing), or you may find you just like the variety roasting provides.

In any case, there is no rush. The Behmor will always be there. Heck it might even be better to wait and get a newer, better model.

I'd say give it a year with your current setup. When you've had a bunch of WOW shots and start getting a little bored, that's a good time to consider a roaster. And I think the Behmor is a GREAT place to start.
Lonny

Post by Lonny »

Thank you Endo. I have to agree, i've got much more to learn and putting something else in the pot, would probably just make matters worse. Maybe next year. Thanks again.

Best,
Lonny
Endo

Post by Endo »

I'm having a LOT of fun with the Behmor these days. Bought some excellent Papau New Guinea AA green beans and made one of my best roasts yet.

I add a few new tricks lately like getting the right batch volume (13 oz), opening the door for 30 sec after 1C to extend the length before 2C, and removing the drum quickly at the end, at about 15 seconds after the cool cycle starts (with oven mits) to cool quickly in a big pan I place outdoors. Adds a lot more sweetness to my roasts.
caf4brains

Post by caf4brains »

Endo,

Do you restart the cooling cycle when you pull the basket to dump the beans for cooling? I believe there is concern that the roaster electronics need to entire cooling cycle to prevent overheating. What changes to the espresso taste to you attribute to the external cooling of the beans?

eric
Endo

Post by Endo »

caf4brains wrote:Endo,

Do you restart the cooling cycle when you pull the basket to dump the beans for cooling? I believe there is concern that the roaster electronics need to entire cooling cycle to prevent overheating. What changes to the espresso taste to you attribute to the external cooling of the beans?

eric
I stop the machine, pull out tray and drum quickly using mits, and then restart the cool cycle within about 15 seconds. I don't think the temperature soakback to the electronics would be very high in this very short period of time. Besides, I'm removing a lot of thermal mass by taking out the drum, beans and chaf tray. So if anything, the little cooling fan blows cool air more directly onto the inside of the machine and electronics, instead of across the hot beans.

How does it change the taste? I must say I have some trouble with taste consistancy (since I'm probably playing around with too many variables), but the roasts do seem a little better (sweeter) with the faster cooldown.

A couple of times I even put the hot tray onto the snow outside to speed things up further. Didn't do much taste-wise, but I think a few squirrels burned their lips. :lol:

Return to “Roaster Equipment and Use”