Missing Instruction for Mini Owners

Please keep posts in this forum to discussion on preinfusion applicable to the Progressive Preinfusion option.
Mario

Missing Instruction for Mini Owners

Post by Mario »

I am posting this as a warning to other Mini owners who might be as mechanically inept as I am. The instructions you get are really not geared towards the Mini and there is a step missing, albeit its probably one that any ordinary person would assume (but it took me 10 minutes to figure out).

I ordered the kit on Friday and it arrived today - very quick service. I gathered the necessary tools ,etc. First there was a trip to Home Depot to get Teflon tape and a hex wrench. I had no idea what the Teflon tape was or how to use it. Luckily I asked the HD guy and he explained that you wrap the tape a couple of times around the thread BEFORE you screw it in. (OK - you're getting a sense of my lack of mechanical ability) I followed the directions VERY carefully. The required time said 20 minutes but for me it was about 80. There was one 10 minute glitch I think due to the instructions being geared towards the VI and VII. The instructions tell you to remove the screws that hold the front control panel on and then gently pull the front panel out from the machine and lower so you have access to the group. However for the Mini there is a missing step: Before you pull the panel out you must unscrew the steam paddle knob from its stem. You very simply do this from the front and it comes right off. I am risking insulting the intelligence of every other member here as this might seem obvious. But I spent 10 minutes wondering why the panel did not slide right off. For a while I was contemplating a much more complicated procedure involving taking the entire steam assemble apart from the casing. I took one screw off and when luckily it dawned on me that all you have to do is unscrew the paddle knob. The panel is still connected to the unit by a wire but it can be lowered to provide access.

I must say the rest of the procedure went fine. For a person of my limited ability it was a miracle everything worked out OK but it did. I would have to say if I can do it just about anyone can.

I've pulled a few shots and everything seems great. Its hard to really asses what difference is occurring but it seems to me the stream from the naked portafilter is cleaner and more cohesive. The change also seems to add some "dimension" to the shot taste. There seems to be a slightly more complex taste although my wife thinks I may be imagining it to justify the installation.:) It is subtle but I think there is something there and the the shots do seem more consistent. The hot weather was creating a lot of clumping which in turn was giving me some channeling and squirting. But the pre-infusion does seem to help.

I do have a question about how the pre-infusion might effect grind setting and pull time but I'll post that separately.

Brava La Mini!

Mario
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Missing Instruction for Mini Owners

Post by chas »

Thanks for that info. I'll update the manual with that clarification. It sounds like on the Mini, the valve must be connected to the chassis behind the front panel rather than being connected to the front panel as on the VI and VII. It didn't occur to me that would be the case.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Mario

Re: Missing Instruction for Mini Owners

Post by Mario »

Here's a picture of the BEFORE and AFTER.

Mario
Attachments
mini.jpg
mini.jpg (73.03 KiB) Viewed 5758 times

Return to “Post Installation Discussion on Progressive Preinfusion”