"programmable pre infusion"

Please keep posts on this forum to topics about the programmable preinfusion option for the VII
paulfl

"programmable pre infusion"

Post by paulfl »

I'm thinking of buying an s2 but am confused..... 1stline says it comes with programmable pre infusion but if you go to Chris' coffee website he wants to still sell you a pre infusion chamber. Do you still need to buy the chamber? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post to s2cafe.
slo
Barista

Re: "programmable pre infusion"

Post by slo »

The Vivaldi VII comes with programmable electronic pre-infusion, which is simply a delay in the engagement of the pump in relation to the opening of the group head valve, thus you get your house water line pressure applied to the coffee for the length of time of the program pre-infusion and then the pump kicks in.

The Mini-Vivaldi does not have this pre-infusion, this is where the mechanical pre-infusion chamber is used for. The Mini uses a vibratory pump which already provides a progressive pressure build up.

The benefit of the chamber is a hotly debated subject.

I hope that this answers your query.

Welcome and hope to hear from you again.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
paulfl

Post by paulfl »

so is it better to buy the chamber or use the programmed one that comes with it?
Endo

Post by Endo »

paulfl wrote:so is it better to buy the chamber or use the programmed one that comes with it?
Ahhhhh. A tricky question.

Some may say the "progressive" mechanical preinfusion works better, but on the other hand, other will say the progammable version has adjustable times and the ability to turn it off.

If I had a a choice (which I don't since I have the Mini), I would opt for the programmable for the added flexibility.
paulfl

Post by paulfl »

not to create problems my first day here but a friend of mine wrote me today and said the progressive is what his Speedster and other REALLY high end machines have, so that might be the way to go although it is a sticky issue. He Claims the Vivaldi is the best machine under $4K.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

1. Which machine are you thinking of; the Vivaldi II or the Mini?

2. The mini can only use the mechanical pre-infusion chamber; if you want pre-infusion you have to buy the mechanical chamber.
It sounds like you want pre-infusion and for a Mini you will need to buy the chamber.

3. The VII comes with the programmable pre-infusion and you can add the mechanical chamber at any time; at the time of purchase or later.
If you are thinking of a VII you will get the programmable and I would suggest that you start with that and buy the chamber later if you feel that it is necessary/an advantage.

Good luck; I have had my VII since April 2007 and love it.
Mark
paulfl

Post by paulfl »

I want the Mini 15 amp, I think I would enjoy pre infusion so when i get it, I will get the chamber.
Endo

Post by Endo »

paulfl wrote:I want the Mini 15 amp, I think I would enjoy pre infusion so when i get it, I will get the chamber.
I don't think you'll notice much difference with the pre-infusion on the Mini since the vibe pump has a pretty gentle ramp up.

Still, it can't hurt, and it is a fun and rather cheap little toy to install, if you like tinkering.

I also kinda like watching the beads form slowly on the bottomless PF.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

paulfl wrote:not to create problems my first day here but a friend of mine wrote me today and said the progressive is what his Speedster and other REALLY high end machines have, so that might be the way to go although it is a sticky issue. He Claims the Vivaldi is the best machine under $4K.
The Speedster has Progressive pre infusion IF you go directly to the pump mode but it also offers manual line pressure p/i. I went from the S1V2 with Programmable line pressure P/I to the Speedster & I use the manual P/I all the time. If you can install a plumbed in machine I'd strongly suggest buying the S1V2. You can use the P/I when you want it, set the duration or just turn it off if you don't want to use it with a particular coffee. With the can option its always on & you have no control. Plus once you've owned a plumbed in machine you would not want to go back to a pour over.

Return to “Post Installation Discussion on Programmable Preinfusion”