Valve leak at cold water inlet pump

If something breaks post warranty, let us know about it. Tell us how you fixed it. Let us know how much the parts cost.
Sixfootmexican

Valve leak at cold water inlet pump

Post by Sixfootmexican »

Hi guys,

Sorry if the following is a simple problem, but I had to store my Vivaldi II LaSpaziale S1 for several years, and just hooked it back in today. The performance of this machine was flawless before I stored it. I'm a novice when it comes to troubleshooting this machine, because is was perfect in every way when I used it in the past.

Right next to the cold water inlet hose, there is what appears to be a valve of some kind to prevent suction, I think. I have attached pics. As best I can tell the plastic plunger failed from fatigue. I studied the schematics for the machine, but couldn't find the part. Can anyone help?

When I turn the water source on, the water jets from the hollow bolt on the left of the picture.

I wish I could read the text in the parts catalog...can't speak Italian, unfortunately.

Thank you!
Attachments
Broken plastic plunger
Broken plastic plunger
image.jpeg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 26097 times
Disassembled
Disassembled
image.jpeg (206.55 KiB) Viewed 26097 times
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Valve leak at cold water inlet pump

Post by chas »

This appears to be the pressure adjustment valve that screws into the rotary pump. According to the LaSpaziale Parts Manual this is considered part of the pump and is not sold separately. However, it is certainly worth a call to Chris Coffee to see if there is anyway to purchase this part by itself as a new pump will run you $150.00.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

If you need to replace the pump you can purchase it directly from FluidoTech for about 1/2 of the cost from any retailer. They are very helpful and fast.

Just search for their US address and contact them...
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

Thanks for the quick replies! I also sent an email to the manufacturer spare parts email in the us, but no response yet.

I will reach out to fluid o'tech today. Also, I noticed that s1cafe offers the brass assembly separately (http://www.cafeparts.com/SubCatDiagram.asp?cid=3596), so will reach out to them.

Thanks again!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Does your machine use a Procon or a Fluid-o-tech pump? They used to use Procon but switched to Fluid-o-tech at some point due to problems with the Procons.

Also, if you see the spare part you are looking for on the cafeparts.com page, then it must be a different part than I thought from your photos.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

Good question.

I just removed the front panel to see. It is a Fluid-o-tech rotoflow. I won't be able to see the actual part number until I remove the pump, as it is obscured by some small tubing.

The assembly on S1cafe appears to be 2390 on the attached diagram. The diagrams on cafe parts don't address this part at all. If s1cafe is even in the ballpark with price, I would given them the order for providing the schematic and this forum...that's service value to me. :grin:
Attachments
Diagram from s1cafe.com
Diagram from s1cafe.com
image.png (162.67 KiB) Viewed 26041 times
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Based on the prices I saw on their website, I wouldn't feel too beholden to them and they have nothing to do with S1Cafe.com. That's on me.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

chas wrote:Based on the prices I saw on their website, I wouldn't feel too beholden to them and they have nothing to do with S1Cafe.com. That's on me.
I haven't looked yet! Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll dissy the pump tomorrow to ensure I order the correct replacement part. Sounds like direct will be most competitive route.

Thanks for the help chas.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You have now joined an elite group of first time failures. Since this forum has been around for 13 years new comers to this "club" are getting farther apart. A number of folks have had issues with the rotary pump but they've all been seal and bearing related.
Chas
Hottop P/B
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I have found the US FluidoTech folks to be very helpful on the phone; my suggestion is that you just call them and I believe that they will help you out with either parts or a replacement pump.
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

chas wrote:You have now joined an elite group of first time failures. Since this forum has been around for 13 years new comers to this "club" are getting farther apart. A number of folks have had issues with the rotary pump but they've all been seal and bearing related.
My failure mode may be related to how I stored the unit. For years, I stored the unit in a closet in my home, then last year needed the space so I moved it to the I heated garage. If there was water in the pump...
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

MDL wrote:I have found the US FluidoTech folks to be very helpful on the phone; my suggestion is that you just call them and I believe that they will help you out with either parts or a replacement pump.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go in the AM. I should prolly order a new gasket for the group head, and any other wear items... Any suggestions?
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Search on this site for the link to order silicone group gaskets; they last far longer, seal more easily and are a great value.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Sixfootmexican wrote:
MDL wrote:I have found the US FluidoTech folks to be very helpful on the phone; my suggestion is that you just call them and I believe that they will help you out with either parts or a replacement pump.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go in the AM. I should prolly order a new gasket for the group head, and any other wear items... Any suggestions?
If you take the advice of ordering silicone gaskets and that's all you order then ignore this advice, but if you order them or other small items from one of the on-line sources like espressoparts.com or chriscoffee.com you may find that you need $50 to get free shipping. I always save up for these occurrences and use them to replenish other items at the same time - like cafiza, grindz, replacement cleaning brush heads, etc.

You probably also want to check the electrical connectors for the steam boiler element while you are checking things out. They have improved these connectors over time but the old ones tending to allow moisture to get in between the copper strands right behind the crimp connector. This causes the wire to oxide and heat up until the plastic parts of the crimp connector melt or at least dry out and crack. However, if you need to replace either of the two crimp connectors, that's just a trip to the local hardware store.

BTW: If you can raise someone at Fluid-o-tech on the phone ask about just getting that specific pressure adjustment replacement part. If anyone can source you just what you need rather than buying a whole new pump, they should be able to.
Chas
Hottop P/B
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

This is the link to the post on this forum to order silicone group gaskets from Steve:

http://s1cafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2081#p22916

If you read through the thread I believe that you will see that folks have been happy dealing with him and the price is reasonable. I am still using my first gasket and believe that the three I bought will last longer than the Vivaldi!

Mark
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I think Steve is in Hong Kong so there may be a short delay in him getting back to you due to time/date differences but he is very responsive in general. The gaskets drop ship USPS from Hong Kong but get here pretty quickly in spite of the delay in US customs.

IN my case it took two days from Hong Kong to NYC, three days in customs, then three more days for USPS to get them from NYC to Maryland!
Chas
Hottop P/B
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

Thanks all!

Wasn't able to call pump mfg. today. Hopefully I can do tomorrow before Christmas break.
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

Hi chas, would you mind forwarding the contact info?I can't seem to find an actual contact number on their website. :oops:
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Not sure how you missed this clear information on their website:

I have always dealt with the CT site (the CA site did not exist when I needed a pump):

Fluid-o-Tech International
161 Atwater St Plantsville, CT 06479
Phone: 860-276-9270
Fax: 860-620-0193
E-mail: info@fluid-o-tech.com

Fluid-o-Tech Engineering North America
5063 Commercial Circle Suite E Concord
Phone: 925-691-5732
Fax: 925-691-9259
E-mail: info@fluidotech.com
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

Yikes! Sorry, didn't scroll down far enough on my pad. When the map on their contact page came up so large, I actually thought I got redirected to a map site...

Thank you.
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

Just received parts today from fluid-o-tech. Perfect! Guys, sorry again for the many questions, but your help was invaluable!

So far, i have done about 8 double shots dialing in grind, and the creama is flowing. :) looking forward to enjoying real coffee again, starting tomorrow am!
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Glad to hear that it all came together for you and that you are back up and running!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Were you able to just get the part you needing without buying a whole new pump?
Chas
Hottop P/B
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

Yes, the total value of the part was $0.51.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Sixfootmexican wrote:Yes, the total value of the part was $0.51.
That sure beats 150 bucks!
Chas
Hottop P/B
Sixfootmexican

Post by Sixfootmexican »

For sure! Thanks to all for the guidance!

Return to “VII Out-of-Warranty Problems”