Mini Vivaldi II water dispensing question

Did you have a bad "out-of-box" experience with your Mini? Describe it here and report back with the final resolution.
pdxjohnny

Mini Vivaldi II water dispensing question

Post by pdxjohnny »

Hello,
I received my mini vivaldi ii (branded a Lucca A53 from Clive Coffee) 2 weeks ago. Things started a bit rough, but I'm getting better & better results. My question is how much water do people have the single and double buttons programmed to dispense? I did read the manual and the nice review at home-barista, but my question is more one of practice and experience from users.

Thank you for sharing
goodboyr
Barista

Re: Mini Vivaldi II water dispensing question

Post by goodboyr »

I didn't program the single so its at factory default. Double is programmed to just fill a 2/oz measure during an actual pull. You should program with a coffee load in the pf, not an empty pf.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
pdxjohnny

Post by pdxjohnny »

ok you just helped me out big time goodboyr. currently a single is pulling 1.5 oz yield during an actual pull. I'll re-program the double to give 2 oz.

Next question... the coffee shop I bought my beans at say they dose 18.5g for a 28.5g yield. The mini, i find, doesn't like more than a 16g dose. How do you reconcile that? Wouldn't a 18.5g dose yielding 2 oz be different from a 16g dose yielding 2oz?
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

I'm not too much fixated on numbers. I use about 16-17, and adjust grind till I hit 25 - 35 seconds. And that makes me a tasty shot!
Bob
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Actually, the double is programmed to just fill a 2 oz measure. But that includes crema. Once crema subsides, it probably is more like 1.5 or so.
Bob
pdxjohnny

Post by pdxjohnny »

That's how my single shot is programmed... 1.5 oz for a 16g dose yields about 1.8-2x (30-32g)
pdxjohnny

Post by pdxjohnny »

ok, 26 months later i figured out to weigh the extracted coffee, which is yield. Target 1:2 ratio of ground coffee to espresso. So 18g of ground coffee should yield 36g of espresso. I find it necessary to re-adjust the water output for each bean because retention seems to vary based on the coffee.

It's very simple to do on the machine, just press the power button for 3 seconds and wait for it to go into setup mode. Press the button for 1x or 2x and again to stop flow. Then press the power button again for this to stay in memory. The machine will then reproduce the same yield, within .5g each time.

To my original question, I should be weighing for yield, not measuring volume. I dunno, maybe me posting back 2 years later helps someone, somewhere, sometime?

Return to “Mini Day One Problems”