Steam Arm Leak at Base / Pivot

Did you have a bad "out-of-box" experience with your Mini? Describe it here and report back with the final resolution.
symbology

Steam Arm Leak at Base / Pivot

Post by symbology »

Ok, so I thought it was going to be smooth sailing and I was going to finally be able to focus on the extractions. Well, I was wrong. As I was steaming some milk for my cappuccino this morning I notice water dripping from the steam valve area. It looks to be leaking from somewhere around the base/pivot of the arm. I have never had a steam arm off of a machine before. How does that area seal and what could be causing this leak?

Thanks,

Allen
symbology

Re: Steam Arm Leak at Base / Pivot

Post by symbology »

Turns out the nut holding the steam arm on was I am afraid to say, not even hand tight, and backed out a bit. Pulled the machine apart AGAIN, and tightened up the nut. All seems fine now.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It's been by observation over many years supporting this forum that the quantity of Day One problems is directly proportional to shipping distance. You don't happen to live in California do you?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
symbology

Post by symbology »

Yeah, I am in the LA area.

I can see your point on some issues. However, how is the fact that it was in the back of a big truck over most of the US for 3 days have anything to do with an at best "hand tight" steam arm nut? What amount of bouncing could have caused the strip of teflon tape to tear and find its way up the relief valve? How, with nothing moving inside the machine did this long shipping distance/time cause a hole in the hose? (at the barb/fitting)

Now, with my Andreja that was purchased from SGC and shipped via there slow as a mule method, well that machine came with the drip tray cover dislodged and the box of PF's and accessories lodged against it, wedging it between the machine and the group. The machine is all scratched up because of this. Still waiting on CC to figure out what they are going to do there.

For my issues with the Vivaldi? I cannot agree that shipping distance had anything to do with it.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Some of the things that have been reported from West Coast purchasers almost make it sound like UPS drags the machines behind the truck.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

N=1, but my VII shipped to San Diego in April of 2007 with only the pressure gauge out of alignment. It sounds like you received a lemon machine and I would ask Chris to replace it for you. No new $2000 machine of any sort should have the array of issues that you have had to deal with.

Return to “Mini Day One Problems”