Water level sensor

Did you have a bad "out-of-box" experience with your Mini? Describe it here and report back with the final resolution.
Barabus

Water level sensor

Post by Barabus »

Small problem with my water level sensor. It senses the low water correctly, but does not sense a full replaced water tank. Yes, I replaced the tank and drip tray correctly. Then at the advise of Chris Coffee, I bent the fixture with the sensor forward a small amount. This temporarily "fixed" the problem, but it happened again. Minor problem- I just don't think the fix of bending the fixture forward will be a long term solution. We shall see.
Endo

Re: Water level sensor

Post by Endo »

If the sensor bend doesn't work, you'll need to repace the magnetic float itself in the resevoir. I've heard on other machines (Quickmill) that these are sometimes defective (de-magnetized) or take on water (sink).

It's the first time I heard of it on the Mini Vivaldi though.
oton

Post by oton »

Perhaps it's possible to re-magnetize the float?
Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:Perhaps it's possible to re-magnetize the float?
I suggest you start with simplest test first.

Pour out the water in the resevoir. Pour back in some water and watch the float carefully. Does it float up and hit the plastic cross above the float?

If not, it could be the float took on water or perhaps it is binding in the float hole somehow.
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

The float "floats". Must be a sensor or magnet issue. The good thing is that it is intermitent and "the bend fix" seems to be holding for another day. Good coffee- no complaints there. Quick and easy. I was running late this morning an had my coffee in under 2 minutes.
Endo

Post by Endo »

If it's a new machine and the sensor bend doesn't fix it 100% of the time, I'd be asking for a new resevoir and float. Do you live near Chris Coffee so you can try swapping resevoirs to see if it fixes the problem?

You could always ask for just a new float, but since the plastic cross in the resevoir is permanently glued in place over the float, it might be a bit tricky to replace.
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

Endo wrote:If it's a new machine and the sensor bend doesn't fix it 100% of the time, I'd be asking for a new resevoir and float. Do you live near Chris Coffee so you can try swapping resevoirs to see if it fixes the problem?

You could always ask for just a new float, but since the plastic cross in the resevoir is permanently glued in place over the float, it might be a bit tricky to replace.
Going this route, because the new vivaldi let me down tonight in front of company. Promised some tasty coffee and the low level blocking alarm would not allow me to deliver thus making me a big lier. That is okay, I am a patient man. All is well that ends well. I will call Chris tomorrow. I will ask for a new resevoir and a sensor. I will return whatever I don't need. However, my wife is questioning my judgement on spending money on a machine that let us down.

She wanted Rocket or Izzo.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Barabus wrote: However, my wife is questioning my judgement on spending money on a machine that let us down.

She wanted Rocket or Izzo.
Just bad luck. Don't assume it's indicative of the overall machine quality. Things like this happen more often on Rockets, Izzos and even $6000 GS/3s. (Think how they must feel). :shock:

Once you get the simple float sensor fixed, and the wife has had a few months making super easy capps for guests, ask her again.
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

Chris is sending me a new float, sensor and mounting bracket for the sensor. Note, the float is replacable on the newer Minis. The stainless cage surrounding the float has a removable top accessable by two screws. Great customer service as advertised! Thanks to the forum for help on this minor yet anoying issue.
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

Just as an update. I taked to Chris' Coffee on Friday. They overnighted the parts with Saturday morning delivery. WOW- that is the service which I have read about and now experienced. I did not ask for this. Its just the way they do things. Kudos to Chris and gang.
Makanmata

Post by Makanmata »

I have been having the same problem, albeit on an older (maybe 3-4 year old) Mini Vivaldi II. A month or two ago it started acting up, and the water sensor light would incorrectly come on and render the machine inoperable. I called Chris, and it was suggested that the magnet likely had some scale, so I descaled it with white vinegar and then with citric acid -- both with no joy. Then I was told to buy some insulation tape to apply to the reservoir, so that additional pressure could be placed upon it from the drain assembly thing, and to play around with the angle of the sensor itself. These tricks worked with some limited success for a period of time. For the past week however, it has become more and more of an ordeal to get that water light off, and today I am completely unable to make coffee despite playing with sensor, insulation tape, "descaling" the magnet again for well over an hour.

Clearly, some stepped up intervention is called for, so I am wondering which of the solutions noted above worked. If it was that the magnet has become demagnetized, I can just get a new reservoir (I have an older model and it doesn't look like my magnet can be swapped) and avoid getting out my screw driver and the small project of changing the sensor. If it was not the magnet, then I'll avoid the new reservoir and focus on the sensor.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this frustrating problem.

Return to “Mini Day One Problems”