Some Additional Differences from S1

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Mario

Some Additional Differences from S1

Post by Mario »

I haven't had any terrible problems but I did find that in addition to the obvious differences on the Mini I discovered a couple of others. One is that there is no "economy mode" on the mini. The light that is used for the economy mode on the S1 is now used for the low water indicator. Hence there is no way to use the boiler button to turn economy mode on. I have the 20 amp model so its not an issue for me. The other difference is that the mini automatically comes equipped with the smaller hole froth tip. I ordered it as a separate item not knowing that. When I looked at the two of them together I spent 10 minutes with a magnifying glass trying to decide which holes looked smaller. Finally a call to Chris Coffee verified that they were both the same tip and I was not crazy after all.

All in all this is a great solution for me. I had wanted a Vivaldi but we have tile counter tops and my wife was adamant against cutting into them. I was almost set to buy a different machine when miracle of miracles the Mini came out. Perfect timing.

In terms of some of the other difference I personally love the "joystick" approach to the steam paddle. You can gradually ease in and its a really quick shut off at the end. Filling the water reservoir is not too bad a hassle for me and the effort is worth the peace in the family over the counter. I live in an area with really soft water (less than 3 grams of hardness) and also can get local spring water with less than 3 grams so its pretty easy.

So with the help of several calls to Chris Coffee all in all its been a great first experience. Right from the start the shots have been great and as my technique gets better I'm sure they will get even better.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

How much water does the tank hold? I didn't see that in the specs.

By smaller hole tip, you mean the 4 hole tip? I think Chris mentioned to me that tip would be standard on the Minis and also on the VIIs when the next shipment arrives.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Mario

Post by Mario »

The tank holds about 3 liters. And the tip has four holes. I actually thought that there were 2 versions of the 4 hole tip but perhaps there is only one.
Niko

Post by Niko »

There are three versions of the 4-hole tip.
3 liters is a good sized reservoir, nice to hear it has about the same capacity as the QuickMill machines.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

La Spaziale rules!!! :)
I have a QuickMill vendour in the city and could have bought Vetrano for a (thick) hair less money :D :D :D :) :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :headbang: 8) :)
:lol:
:happy6:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chris needs to update his Mini-VII page. In one spot it says the 4 hole tip with the smaller holes is optional, but in the Features section at the bottom of the web page it states that the smaller hole tip is standard.

I don't think that the lack of the Econ mode will be a big deal. If you buy a 20A model but don't have a 20A circuit, it's not that hard to flip the switch to put it into 15A mode. It's harder to deal with replacing the plug with a 15A plug! On the other hand if you're not making milk drinks you can still just turn off the boiler.
Chas
Hottop P/B
errickson

Post by errickson »

from Chris' website:

Features:
Dual Boiler
Steam Boiler 1.2 liter
Comes with NEW .9 mm Steam Tip
Steam Boiler Element 1250 Watts
Group Boiler .45 liter
Group Boiler Element 800 Watts
Swivel Stainless Steel Steam Arm
Two 53 mm Portafilters: One Single and One Double
Manual Fill 3 liter Water Tank
etc...

drat! I too ordered the additional steam tip. you all think Chris would take the (unused) steam tip back? I know I just sprung for $2K on the machine, but hey, 15 bucks is 15 bucks! might help pay for a round :occasion5:
chas wrote:How much water does the tank hold? I didn't see that in the specs.

By smaller hole tip, you mean the 4 hole tip? I think Chris mentioned to me that tip would be standard on the Minis and also on the VIIs when the next shipment arrives.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Mario, when you get that far let me know how you adjust the group pressure on the Mini. It has to be different without the rotary pump. Hopefully, it's at least as easy.

Should you get to the point where you take the covers off for this or any other reason, please post them on the Forum. We'd be interested in seeing the innards from almost every angle.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yeah!

If you're anywhere near my area, I'll be right over with a set of tools and a camera :P
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

I don't think that the lack of the Econ mode will be a big deal......it's not that hard to flip the switch to put it into 15A mode.
Chas,

I thought the 15 A modes was the same things as "economy mode". What is the difference?

My Mini just arrived and is sitting outside my office at work! I still have yet to get the electrician in to put in a 20 amp circuit and outlet and so was hoping to make due with teh 15 A mode and some creative plug work for a few days until I can get things hard wired.

Now the question: will the box fit in my car?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Yes, switching into 15A mode locks the unit in Economy mode.

With an S1 or VII in 20A mode, you have the Econ button which can be used to switch the unit in or out of Economy mode. You really only need this if you have a unit set for 20A mode but are temporarily plugging it into a 15A circuit.
Chas
Hottop P/B
calmaniac

pull out reservoir

Post by calmaniac »

Just an FYI that the 3 liter pull out reservoir requires removal of the drip tray. Not a problem, just unexpected.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”