Where is the steam boiler?

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
admin
Site Admin

Where is the steam boiler?

Post by admin »

The photo of this unit shows a slide in drawer for water which inserts right where the bottom half of the steam boiler is in the S1 and VII. So how did they redesign the boiler to fit into this design?

Anyone that finds out report back here, please. Inquiring minds need to know!
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

In comparing the specs the Mini-VII's steam boiler is 1.2L vs. 2.5L in the S1 and VII so they could have just "cut the bottom half off" and suspended it above the water tray.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

"Mini" is the appropriate word to describe that steam boiler, wow. I'm sure it out-steams most and it can hold its own against some prosumer machines.
Now I'm really curious! :wink:

Damn! Is that a paddle to control the steam? - That's not going to fly with me...sorry, I'm not buying one now :evil:
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I am curious to hear how the machine works out; it seems to me that the pull out tank is not very large compared to the combined size of the two boilers. It is probably OK for pulling a couple of shots and making some steam but I would imagine that you could rapidly deplete the tank pulling hot water out of the boiler?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Even though the boiler is 1/2 the size of the one in the S1/VII, it still has the same power heater element. So it should be a steaming fool. Not much capacity for hot water delivery though. Should be OK for Americanos.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yeah, I was just exchanging emails back and forth with Chris. He said the same thing, it produces steam as fast as you can crank it open with that size heater.
Another thing I noticed was that the machine uses a vibe pump.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Niko wrote:Yeah, I was just exchanging emails back and forth with Chris. He said the same thing, it produces steam as fast as you can crank it open with that size heater.
Another thing I noticed was that the machine uses a vibe pump.
Did you order one to put in your car yet?
Chas
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Don't think it HASN'T crossed my mind 8)
After all, I got rid of Anita a while ago....
So a 3rd Vivaldi (for the trunk) would be the total party animal :P

Of course I'd have to get the 15A model so I can run it in other people's homes, I guess I can switch it to 20A for my home.
Last edited by Niko on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Hm, I'm considering one of these for my office. I wonder if the vibe pump changes some things...

Wolfgang
Niko

Post by Niko »

Please do get one!
I don't want to be the only weirdo here with two Vivaldis :D

I don't think the vibe pump is a bad thing, you can always swap it for a rotary pump later...
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

Does the mini have an option to plumb-in?

-Joe
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

I was asking my supplier about a pour-over Vivaldi II when I was getting my machine, and I was strongly discuraged by them due to their experience with a pour-over Rossini (but they told me there's no such model from La Spaziale :D)I don't want to make a disadvertising fo La Spaziale here so I won't post any details, as it's a rumour anyway and not my experience.
I can only say: after this week with my machine I would never ever switch to non-plumbed.
Unless, of course, I'd have absolutely no other choice.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I don't think the Mini VII can be plumbed, although some people figured out ways to make other non-plumbed machines to get water that way.
The Rossini is a whole different animal than the Mini VII, the Mini is basically a VivII in almost every way...dual boiler, dual manometer and 20A version to boot. Only difference I see is a smaller steam boiler (but it still steams like demon), vibe pump and it doesn't require direct plumbing...this can be a very good thing for some people.

If I had my way, I'd sell my older S1 and get a Mini for a second unit :D This way I can take it with me to parties :headbang:
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Yes, so now it clears az little for my questions about the 'La Spaziale Difference' articles, right?
You know what? my supplier believes that there's a HX in Vivaldi II...
then how could we get espresso with the steam boiler off? 8) :lol:
If you say there won't be trouble with Mini-Vivaldi II, then sure I'll get one too.
I want to have a good coffee on holidays. But wait a moment. I'll need a car and a driving licence. Oh no. :roll: :wink:
Weska

Post by Weska »

...and the willingness, like Niko, to spend a lot of your spare time preparing espresso drinks for immense numbers of other people.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

sure I do :)
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

...and it can't be stressed often enough:

The Mini-VII canot be compared with the Rossini! The Rossini used one single boiler for steam and brewing, like some consumer espresso machines, so i has much more temperature variability and longer recovery times between brewing and steaming.

The Mini-VII is a true dual-boiler machine like the VII, main differences to the Vivaldi II are the reservoir, half the steam boiler, vibration pump and lever steam valve.

I'm seriously considering one for my office :)

And yes, there's a plumb-in option for the Mini. It costs another 200$ and is called Vivaldi II. I think this was an excellent choice by La Spaz, to not go the route of tank+plumbin kit, but to make these machines 2 different ones; this way they are able to optimize them for the different setups (e.g same footprint for both machines, without wasting the reservoir space in the plumbed version).

Interesting choice by La Spaz to put the lever steam valve on the Mini!

Wolfgang
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chris says he really loves having a lever instead of a knob for steam control. He tells me it's not just a digital on/off control. You can move the lever part the way up if you want less than full steam. When it's time to cut the steam off, he likes just reaching up and flipping the level down rather than having to turn a steam knob 2-3 turns to get the steam off.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

There's a few different styles out there.
The Elektra A3 uses a ball valve and the Synesso uses a paddle. To each their own I guess :D
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

For me being used to turning knobs (also on an LM Linea) pushing a lever might certainly take a little practice, but I'm also sure it's only something to get used to. I never had to turn the knob on the Vivaldi several times, so I don't see a problem there. But I can also see myself using a lever, the GS/3 also has one; I wouldn't make too big a deal out of it, just a new variety.

My 2c,
W.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”