Screen bolt

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
AndyPanda

Screen bolt

Post by AndyPanda »

So ... I know this is addressed in old threads (I've been digging thru the archives) and perhaps I should be posting in those many years old threads instead of posting a new one. But .... Hey, I'm a fresh newbie S1 owner and excited ... so I'm posting.

I thinned the head of the screen bolt. I tried the alternate screen arrangement and didn't like it ... so I've got the screens in the stock arrangement but with the thinner bolt head. I just pulled two shots with 16grams very lightly tamped in the double basket. Both shots poured beautifully with barely a hint of bolt head impression in the top of the spent puck.
ScreenBoltPuck.jpg
ScreenBoltPuck.jpg (211.81 KiB) Viewed 13461 times
ScreenBolt.jpg
ScreenBolt.jpg (395.31 KiB) Viewed 13461 times
sorinherea
Americano

Re: Screen bolt

Post by sorinherea »

AndyPanda

Post by AndyPanda »

Thanks for the pictures. I just got back from the hardware store with my stainless Phillips head screw and a few minutes with my dremel cutoff wheel with the screw in a drill chuck and voila! I can get 18grams in the double basket now without any screwhead dent. Anyone using the precision triple basket? Is it worth ordering?
ThreeBolts.jpg
ThreeBolts.jpg (88.93 KiB) Viewed 13414 times
AndyPanda

Post by AndyPanda »

I know there are different grades of Stainless Steel ... I just bought my stainless bolt at the local hardware store. After only two days use, the bolt is black - compared to the original bolt that has been in use for many years. Question for those of you that replaced your screen bolt: Did yours blacken like this one? Or did you order some specific grade of Stainless?
ScreenBolt_Blackened.jpg
ScreenBolt_Blackened.jpg (58.39 KiB) Viewed 13379 times
AndyPanda

Post by AndyPanda »

After seeing how the hardware store stainless bolt turned colors so quickly, I worry about corrosion. So I switched back to the original bolt but thinned the head a little more:
ScreenBoltThinned.jpg
ScreenBoltThinned.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 13377 times
ScreenBoltThinner.jpg
ScreenBoltThinner.jpg (48.4 KiB) Viewed 13377 times
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Do you really believe that the volume difference between the "stock" and your thinned bolt has any significant impact on the quality of your shots? It must represent a tiny fraction of the volume of the basket?
Lav
Macchiato

Post by Lav »

It will increase the risk of channeling if you have a "sharp" dent.... I changed my bolt to a domed type, but this looks even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Steffen

| La Spaziale Vivaldi II + myTimer mod |​ Mahlkönig PEAK and EK43Short | Aillio Bullet R1 roaster| Acaia Lunar scale | ​AeroPress, Bialetti Venus |
AndyPanda

Post by AndyPanda »

I'm of the school that you should not tap the portafilter after you tamp - I don't want to risk fracturing the compressed coffee puck. I also do not twist the tamper. I cringe when I see others tapping and twisting after they've gone to such great lengths to have fresh coffee, ground perfectly, distributed carefully, tamped precisely and then they smack the portafilter with the tamper and twist the tamper - seems like it can fracture the structure inside the compressed coffee. Point being that I try to leave the compressed coffee as undisturbed as possible.

So my intent was to be able to use enough coffee in the basket that it would reach or nearly reach the screen without having the bolt head dig in and fracture the puck.

With that said --- in the past few days I've been experimenting with lower volumes of coffee and I've been getting better shots with 13-14g, grinding finer, lighter tamp and leaving lots of headroom. The spent puck looks soupy on top without coming close to the screen at all. Surprise to me.

But at least with the thinner bolt head I have now, I have the option to pack in more coffee so the puck presses against the screen when it expands and without getting disturbed by the bolt head.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I use a triple basket so that I have more headroom rather than to pack in even more coffee. I think you definitely want to prevent or at least reduce contact with the brew head which will create a disturbance in the force!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

+1000

Triple basket is the way to go. With 16.5 gm coffee load, there's plenty of headroom.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W

Return to “Mini General Q&A”