Does seasonality affect grinder settings

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
wkwan

Does seasonality affect grinder settings

Post by wkwan »

Hi all,

I think my problem has been solved, but I just want to confirm with others.

I live in New York and temperatures have dropped from the 80s in the last week or so to high 50s at night. I noticed this morning that when I was performing a shot that it just gushed out blonde, so I did it again and really tamped harder than normal, same results.

So being a noob, I cleaned the screens on the machine, inspected the gasket and tried another shot, same thing. I noticed that pressure on the guage was really low when performing a shot, so my attention moved to my mazzer grinder. I pretty much cleaned the grinder, recalibrated and then performed another shot, same results.

What I didn't do and now I know is to adjust the grinder for a finer grind which resulted in a slower and more full shot.

The question is because of the temperature drop recently, this does affect the grind of the beans and needs to be adjusted correct?

Thanks
LDT

Re: Does seasonality affect grinder settings

Post by LDT »

In my experience, the coffee bean and to a lesser extent, it's age since roasting, makes the biggest difference. I am assuming you live in a heated area where the temperature is relatively stable.
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Does seasonality affect grinder settings

Post by rhinoevans »

Coriolis effct and rotation of the earth, possibly. :shock:

Return to “Mini General Q&A”