What About the Timer?

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
cstaples

What About the Timer?

Post by cstaples »

I'm considering replacing my Anita with the Mini. With the Anita, I just use a 15 amp timer from Lowes to start it in the morning so it's ready when I get up. I'm assuming that following that same procedure isn't possible with the Vivaldi because if it were, why would people spend $200.

Are there those of you who have done similar upgrades and if so, are you happy you did it?
GDK
God Shot

Re: What About the Timer?

Post by GDK »

I have come across some posts on this forum about buying parts and soldering wires to the board. It took me a whole year to think about cheaper alternatives as a $200 timer costs as much as a few good coffee machines out there. I caved in eventually and coughed the $200 around Christmas. It integrates very well functionally, perhaps one can spent the time and achieve the same with a custom solution but it will take quite a bit of time.
Endo

Post by Endo »

cstaples wrote:Are there those of you who have done similar upgrades and if so, are you happy you did it?
A standard Lowes timer won't work since the Vivaldi requires you hold down the "on" button for about 3 seconds while the controller board fires up.

Others have made DIY timers, but I think you would need to be rather comfortable building electronic devices to do so.

In the end, most people just cave in (like GDK ) and go for the $200 timer. If it makes the decision any easier, I haven't heard of anybody who regretted this decision. (I love mine).
BeRad

Post by BeRad »

I bought the timer along w/ my machine but didn't install it for a few months. I thought my routine of powering up the machine first thing in the AM and having it warm up while I got ready for work and then powering it up again when I got home to have it ready for an after dinner espresso was simple enough that I could get by without it. I know it's just a simple timer but after finally installing it I quickly realized what a hassle all that was and now I can't imagine using the machine without it. Plus I avoid those awkward phone calls home when I'm running late from work: "Honey, I'll be home in about 45 minutes can you turn the machine on now." "What? You're calling to tell me to turn on the coffee machine and not to apologize for missing dinner, sure it'll be ready..." However, before the timer I did seem to jump out of bed a lot quicker. Now, knowing that the machine is going to be nice and ready whenever I make it down to the kitchen seems to make me hit the snooze bar a few extra times.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

That is a plus I did not think of - no need to apologize to your timer, it always works as instructed :)
Endo

Post by Endo »

Having it turn the machine on 1 hour before I wake up is great. But I also like how it turns off the machine after I go to work if I forget. Mine is also set to give me extra sleeping time on the weekends (though most of the time I'm up at 6AM for kids hockey......doh!!)
Last edited by Endo on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

I finally broke down and bought one after my wife started giving me a lot of crap about leaving the machine on 24/7. Best investment I made since the machine. Funny thing was that I swore I would not buy anything again from CC. I ordered from a west coast company, but the item was drop shipped from CC. So much for my boycott. :smile:
Last edited by txrpls on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

If I didn't call the wife to turn on the machine while I'm on my way home, we'd never talk.

Save your marriage, don't buy a timer.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”