This espresso maker sucks (so good)!!!!!

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
dgasmd

This espresso maker sucks (so good)!!!!!

Post by dgasmd »

I have to admit it. I got this espresso machine and a K3 Compak Touch grinder as a combo. After many trials and wasted coffee beans, I think I got it doing its job decently or OK. The espresso coming out of it at that middle level of awesome is fantastic and far better than anything I can get locally. That is why my machine set up sucks: now I can't drink anything outside the home and have to wait until I get home to get it. I love that it is so good and I hate it that I can't carry the thing around with me!!!

:mrgreen:
GDK
God Shot

Re: This espresso maker sucks (so good)!!!!!

Post by GDK »

That is a great complain which I am glad to hear ;)
slo
Barista

Re: This espresso maker sucks!!!!!

Post by slo »

Welcome to my nightmare!!
Just remember that you could have gone through your entire life thinking that what you had in cafe and restaurant was espresso!
Now you have 2 choices; you can be content and go on your life or you can start the long painful, but rewarding, quest for the best possible espresso and spend a fortune doing it!
Never say that you were not warned! :mrgreen:
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Endo

Post by Endo »

My wife tells me I ruined her coffee life outside the home as well. :lol: (My sink shots are better than most stuff I get at restaurants).
BeRad

Post by BeRad »

Welcome...

Took the family to Florida over the holidays (not a big espresso hotspot). Had to take my wife, who initially didn't see the need for our S1, to at least 6 coffee shops before she realized she wouldn't get a decent latte until we were back home! I guess it might not be as tough as I thought getting buyoff on a new K10 fresh. Like slo said, you were warned.

OffTopic:
Endo, I was in Florida on a bit of a kiteboarding holiday (kiteable winds nearly every day of my trip!). I recall reading in a old post that you were also a kiter. Still doing it?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I decided I should make two changes to this thread for clarity's sake:
1) It wasn't properly place in the Mini Day One problem sub-forum as there was no stated problem, rather the reverse.
2) I also slightly reworded the subject. Since a lot of folks shopping for espresso machines use this site as a major resource in their decision making process, a thread stating that the machine sucks when the opposite was the intended, might not be helpful. Obviously, if someone reads the thread in detail they realize that it is a resoundingly positive review of the machine. However, I feared that someone skimming might just focus on both that title and the fact that it was posted in the Day One Problem area and automatically write it off without drilling down on the thread.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

BeRad wrote:
OffTopic:
Endo, I was in Florida on a bit of a kiteboarding holiday (kiteable winds nearly every day of my trip!). I recall reading in a old post that you were also a kiter. Still doing it?

Yup. Was at Malpeque Bay in PEI a few months ago (see photo). I'm now snow kiting. Heading to Cape Hatteras in 4 months (can't wait).
PEI Kiting
PEI Kiting
2011-08-24 004 (640x480).jpg (184.62 KiB) Viewed 11525 times
dgasmd

Post by dgasmd »

Well, thanks for the changes to the tittle and such.

I must add that to make matters worse (in a sense), the "problem" has gotten even worse. As someone stated above, FL is not the mecca of all things coffee or espresso. Most people think of fantastic coffee that dirty hot water with sewage residue that starbucks or dunkin donuts sells. I have been mail ordering the beans I ahve been using so far, but I am not on my second episode of running out before re-ordering. You would think after the first time and the caffeine withdrawl seizures that follow I would learn the lesson. In any case, I looked up in goggle to see of there was any local or close by roaster in hopes of getting something to get me by while waiting for the mail order. Found a place about 1 hr from here and headed over to check it out. You would have thought I was talking in cantonese to this 19-20 y.o girl there. I know that in comparison to most of you I am as ignorant of this stuff as it gets, but compared to this girl I am a walking encyclopedia! I had her make me a espresso with a bean I selected from their barely mediocre selection only to be mortified by the process that followed before my eyes. She grinded the beans to what looked like woods shavings or saw dust, filled the portafilter to the brim, barely tamped it to what most be no more than 5 Lb of pressure, and proceed to ask me if I wanted a single or double once it was already put into the machine. I said double knowing I was going to pitch it in the trash regardless. I added some sugar to it and what followed was the nastiest tongue incineration and 3rd degree burn I've ever had. I swear this thing had to be 800 degrees and the volume had to be at least 200 cc!! I bought a 1/2 Lb mostly so I could justify the drive there and back knowing I'll likely pitch the beans after the first couple of tries at home.

Needless to say, I am now ordering enough beans to last me a lifetime (metaphorically speaking!) ensuring I never run out!!!!!!!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I am sensing a future home roaster....
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
BeRad

Post by BeRad »

When I wrote my post I didn't realize you were in Vero Beach. While I was a little further south searching for a decent coffee I came across a local roaster that was just opening up. Since you didn't have a good experience I won't mention their name but let me know if it was in the Jupiter/Tequesta area.

I know being caught w/out beans for a few days is tough but consider yourself lucky that you even have that option and so many first-class roasters to choose from. I had the chance to order some fresh beans from a few places (CounterCulture, Metropolis, etc ) while I was in the US and was impressed w/ how quickly I got them after roast and at a reasonable price. I haven't come across any type of comparable mail order service here in Europe. Luckily there is a local roaster in my city but nothing on par with what I got in the US.
dgasmd

Post by dgasmd »

Yep, I guess despite everything we are still very spoiled in the US when it comes to some things. Oh, and I was not there. I was an hr in the other direction (north).

I already made an order with Counter Culture and even got in their "subscription to try to decrease the chances of running out again. I made a espresso with the Costa Rican beans I got today and they are actually not half bad. At least I won't be making nasty faces when I drink it while I wait for my order.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”