Share your Coffee buying routines!

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
dgasmd

Share your Coffee buying routines!

Post by dgasmd »

Given I just recently got a new machine and grinder, I was not sure at all how long it would take me to go through a lb of coffee. Well, now I know as I basically plowed through it in about 4-5 days. Granted, I used quite a bit doing some grinder tweaking and such, but still surprised how quickly it went out. So I'm guessing I'm going to go through about a lb/week. I guess I'll buy a couple of lb every other week??

How often do you buy and how much at one time? Do you consistently go through pretty much the same amount week after week? Just curious.........
jackviimini

Re: Share your Coffee buying routines!

Post by jackviimini »

I buy 2lb bags from Klatch every couple of weeks.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I go through about one lb per week.

I used go into town and buy 2 bags, of 1 lb each. I use one and freeze the other.

Once I got my Behmor 1600 roaster, I started roasting batches of 13 oz. As long as I don't do any sink shots, this will often last me the week.

I still buy the occasional bag in town to mix things up and try the latest fancy blends (as long as it's less than 3 weeks from roast date, otherwise my own home roast always ends up tasting better).
mig

Post by mig »

I use an Espresso Club from Paradise Roasters.

http://www.paradiseroasters.com/product ... -Club.html

(not affiliated with them)

I have tweaked it over the last year so that I have just a bit of overlap. If I am having guests, then I will go out and get some, or if I know ahead of time, I will place a special order. I really enjoy their espresso selections.
JeffPersson
Latte

Post by JeffPersson »

+1 on the Behmor roaster. I usually roast 10oz batches and use them in a couple days, but that's mostly because my roasting and palette are not sophisticated enough to notice an issue with using the coffee for both espresso and pots of drip/pour over. As for buying I usually buy 10-15lbs of green beans from someone on Green Coffee Buying Club and then roast as needed.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JeffPersson wrote:+1 on the Behmor roaster. I usually roast 10oz batches and use them in a couple days, but that's mostly because my roasting and palette are not sophisticated enough to notice an issue with using the coffee for both espresso and pots of drip/pour over. As for buying I usually buy 10-15lbs of green beans from someone on Green Coffee Buying Club and then roast as needed.
I've moved down to a lower 10 oz size on my Behmor as well, so that I can now complete a roast in under 15 minutes (which is ideal IMO).

I buy my green beans from the Greenbeanery in Toronto. They conveniently ship to my home in about 3 days. The selection of SO's could be better. I'm still looking for a good source of greens in the Montreal area. I sometimes buy from Terra Coffee in Montreal. They have some good exotic greens for drip.
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

My wife & I go through about one 12-oz. bag from Ceremony Coffee (local) per week. There's always a fresh roast, so it's a no-brainer.

http://ceremonycoffee.com/
az erik

Post by az erik »

<~ Bemhor and 7oz decaff roast for the misses lasts nearly 2 weeks with my Expo @ 16g's a double
2 9 oz roasts for myself lasts about 1.5 weeks for 2 doubles a morning

I buy no less than 12#'s at a time (yay for shipping...) which reminds me I need more kona.. :)
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

Endo wrote:
JeffPersson wrote:+1 on the Behmor roaster. I usually roast 10oz batches and use them in a couple days, but that's mostly because my roasting and palette are not sophisticated enough to notice an issue with using the coffee for both espresso and pots of drip/pour over. As for buying I usually buy 10-15lbs of green beans from someone on Green Coffee Buying Club and then roast as needed.
I've moved down to a lower 10 oz size on my Behmor as well, so that I can now complete a roast in under 15 minutes (which is ideal IMO).

I buy my green beans from the Greenbeanery in Toronto. They conveniently ship to my home in about 3 days. The selection of SO's could be better. I'm still looking for a good source of greens in the Montreal area. I sometimes buy from Terra Coffee in Montreal. They have some good exotic greens for drip.
Green Coffee Buying Club has a Canadian distributer shipping out now. I would take a look at buying that way if you want some nice SO coffee.
Endo

Post by Endo »

scareyourpassenger wrote:
Green Coffee Buying Club has a Canadian distributer shipping out now. I would take a look at buying that way if you want some nice SO coffee.
I heard the distributor (Miroslav) lives very close to me. I will definitely be contacting him for my next batch of SO green.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”