Question about force of my water flushes

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
jlt3b

Question about force of my water flushes

Post by jlt3b »

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed previously. I didn't find anything that pertains. When I've watched YouTube videos of people pressing one of the volumetric brew buttons ithout a portafilter in place using their the mini Vivaldi II, the water seems to flow out in linear streams that don't seem very high in speed and velocity. On mine, the water seems to jet out like a shower-head set on high 'jet' setting. It's similar to when one turns their kitchen faucet to 'spray'. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Endo

Re: Question about force of my water flushes

Post by Endo »

What's your temperature setting?
Louis

Post by Louis »

Missing flow restrictor (gicleur)?

(Part 276, see viewtopic.php?p=17780#p17780)
Endo

Post by Endo »

Louis wrote:Missing flow restrictor (gicleur)?

(Part 276, see viewtopic.php?p=17780#p17780)
No flow restrictors on the Mini (it uses a vibe pump which has a low flow by design). Gicleurs are only used on rotay pump machines, since the flow is much higher.

I've seen this "water jet" problem when the water temp is set very high on the Mini 1 (which goes to 120C). I haven't tried it on a Mini 2 but I'm thinking maybe 97C might do it too. If you set it to 93C, does it still shoot out?

Also, try removing the screens and brass dispersion plate, clean with detergent, check holes are all clean and reinstall.

Finally, check to see what your offset is set to. Perhaps it's boosted to +7C or so and that is what's causing your boiler to run hotter than indicated.
jlt3b

Post by jlt3b »

Thanks guys...

Endo- it happens at 93 and 94 degrees, which is what I've been set at. I can try to clean (again) the screens this weekend. In terms of the offset- perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I read the instructions on how to check the offset: start in off/standby mode, hold Boiler button for approx 10 seconds until both the standby and red boiler light are blinking, then I should be in the temp offset mode. However, this doesn't happen - the boiler light never starts blinking. All that happens after holding down the boiler button is that either the 91-93C lights flash then turn off, OR the 94-97C lights flash then go off. Am I doing something wrong?

I appreciate it!
jlt3b

Post by jlt3b »

Ps- Endo, in addition to my above post, I had one other question. Is it possible that the water jet problem could be due to having my brass dispersion plate and/or screens attached in the wrong order? Thanks!
Endo

Post by Endo »

jlt3b wrote: Is it possible that the water jet problem could be due to having my brass dispersion plate and/or screens attached in the wrong order? Thanks!
Yes, I suppose. They should be installed from left to right in the photo. If you put the screen on the right in before the middle one, it might cause some dispersion issues.
Dispersion disc and screens
Dispersion disc and screens
disc.jpg (38.85 KiB) Viewed 11032 times
jlt3b

Post by jlt3b »

Thanks Endo... I just took it apart - had all three in the correct order. They are soaking in detergent as I type, then I'll gently use a needle to make sure all the holes in the screens are clear. The holes in the brass Dispersion disk looked clear. Keep ya posted - much obliged!
jlt3b

Post by jlt3b »

It was the screens. Thanks Endo. I feel kinda like a dolt for not even thinking it might be the screens. I guess it's smart to keep some new replacement screens around as a backup. Thanks again!
Endo

Post by Endo »

That's good news. Remember the machine is one of the few with 2 screens. It was designed that way to trap grounds, but they need to be cleaned regularly (at least once a week). They give you a backup set specifically for that reason. I also recommend buying a backup brass dispersion puck as well. That way you can simply swap the whole dirty set and throw it in coffee machine detergent to soak while you work with a clean set.
jlt3b

Post by jlt3b »

Thanks Endo. I just ordered some extra screens also. I'm not sure I can rescue the ones I took out recently - lots of clogged tiny holes.

On a separate note, Have you seen any posts about how to manage 'spotting' on the back surface of the mini Vivaldi? I tried cleaning it, but mine has developed little 'spots' on the stainless steel - maybe tarnish spots?? Should I try tarnish polish?

Thanks!
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Try Windex - works on mine like a charm.
Endo

Post by Endo »

jlt3b wrote:On a separate note, Have you seen any posts about how to manage 'spotting' on the back surface of the mini Vivaldi? I tried cleaning it, but mine has developed little 'spots' on the stainless steel - maybe tarnish spots?? Should I try tarnish polish?
Yes. You can try Windex or even better, Simple Green. But if that doesn't work......

The only way I found to clean stainless effectively and safely (i.e. no scratching) is to use a a product called "Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish" and a new microfibre cloth. The Mother's polish has no grit so it is safe to use on polished stainless.

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Mothers-M ... _2286.html
jlt3b

Post by jlt3b »

I just ordered both products! Thanks for being such a great resource, Endo!

Return to “Mini General Q&A”