My first espresso machine - Pump pressure issues?

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
sidmuer

My first espresso machine - Pump pressure issues?

Post by sidmuer »

Hello all.
I took possession of my Mini s1v2 this Sat.
It came from Chris' Coffee...
It was a demo machine, and I was told only 20 or so shots were put through it.
As far as I can tell, it is the latest model with the embossed S1 on the metal.
I was told it had the mechanical pre-infusion device installed already as well.

Now, I don't know how to check for this. Is there a method? Or a timing before water starts flowing from the time I press the button to brew/pump?
(yes, this is my FIRST espresso machine EVER! :) )

I have watched many videos and styles, techniques to help me as much as possible.
I am able to get some crazy foam already, which I am very happy with. I mean, a good quarter cup of foam on top. I noticed "stirring" with the wand, as
I steam produces a lot of foam for me.

Anyways, here is my issue(s)
1:
The shower screen spare that was included (a 2-piece).
One, on the corner, has a small bend dent. Ie: it was slightly bent at the edge, then bent back as well as possible.
I was told the accessories were still new, etc... This doesn't seem to be so.
2:
I read the portafilters have a "spring" like mechanism? I am not sure about this.
I popped out the screen hold from my single and double portafilters that came with the machine. No springs or anything.
Just the ridge outline on the screen cup holding it in. And quite well too. I needed a butter knife to be placed between the screen cup and portaholder, and I needed
to twist to pop it up, and then some.
3:
And this one, my best concern....
I made an espresso yesterday.
I used coffee freshly ground from starbucks that I bought on Saturday. ( I know, I am working on getting a grinder.. )
I measured to the line/ridge inside the portafilter cup. About 1/4 inch below the top once it is tamped.
I used moderate pressure and seem to get it pretty even. I make sure there is no fine grinds on the rim to make sure it receives a good seal when placed
in the s1v2 holder.
I looked at my bar pressure for the first time yesterday as I did this shot. It went to a bit above 9 in a short time no problems, as it pulled. I would say it basically hit 9.5.
I was glad to see all was well.
Today, the exact same routine. Same coffee...
The pressure only hit 4, and was very shaky ( the needle ). I don't remember it being so shaky yesterday.
When the shot stopped, then the needle ramped up to the 9.5 setting.
I removed the shower screens with the allen key and cleaned them, the re-assembled.
I did this a couple more tries, same issue. I tried 3 different blends that I had from my starbucks purchase from Saturday.
They were fine ground for espresso shots if anyone is wondering. And I am not sure what it is, since all seemed fine yesterday.
If anything, I figured the demo machine would be even better since I would expect it was used/tested by pro's there, fine tuned, and it has had low volume according to the person I spoke to there. ( have his name, think it was Jason? )
How is this needle supposed to act? Is it supposed to go to 9 BAR right away, or slowly? I ask, because, when I looked yesterday, I did so near the end of my shot, and it was already a little past 9, and holding.
Any advice is welcome.
Endo

Re: My first espresso machine - Pump pressure issues?

Post by Endo »

Welcome Sid,

Lots of newbie questions, buy don't worry, we've all been there. :lol:

As you already guessed, most your problems revolve around your lack of grind control. You need a grinder, without it, it's like trying to drive a car without your gas pedal stuck in one position. You are guaranteed to fail.

1- Take a picture of your screen and post it here. We'll tell you if you need a new one.

2- Your PF spring fits into the basket groove to prevent it from falling out when you thump it on the knock-box to remove the spent grounds. It does not "spring" the grounds out. :lol: Yours seems fine.

3- Once you get a consistant grind and tamp technique you can use the gauge. Until then, ignore it. (It's useless to stare at the tachometer if your gas pedal is stuck). Get the grinder then we can talk gauge pressure. If your using using pre-ground Starbucks coffee (shuddder)....you might as well be using a $100 Krups. Remember the #1 rule....it's all about the coffee.

Finally, to see if you have pre-infusion, the fastest way is simply to open it up and see if you have this brass cylinder:
Pre-infusion Chamber
Pre-infusion Chamber
DSC01155 (640x480).jpg (144.56 KiB) Viewed 21332 times
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

Hi Sid,
No real need to look inside your S1 to check if you have the pre-infusion chamber. The coffee will begin to drop 6-7 seconds after you touched the button, if it is installed. Otherwise, it will begin immediately. But maybe you just want to see what's indide the beast... Have fun.
sidmuer

Post by sidmuer »

thanks Endo.
I'll pop her open tomorrow and see if it's in there.
If there is pre-infusion, is there any way to adjust it? Or is it automatic for the Mini?
And yes, I know about the Starbucks. I've read here and there about it.
It happened to be on the way home, and I quickly got some so I can start with the machine.
I am thinking of the Vario grinder. It seems to be the best bang for the buck, and equivalent to a jolly in quality, consistent grinds ( not build ) from what I have read.
I'll take some pics of all my screens and the portafilter screen tomorrow after work and get those posted.
They look fine to me. But I am too new to judge anything myself at this stage.
I'll also take a pic of the shower screen that seems to have been damaged and then bent back into shape as best as possible.
The machine, at this point, seems like a very nice little solid machine, that's for sure. I almost wish I got the non mini version for the rotary pump. But with the money
saved, I'd rather have a nice grinder.
Where's a good place to buy or order coffee beans if I am in Ontario, Hamilton ?
sidmuer

Post by sidmuer »

Abnuceals wrote:Hi Sid,
No real need to look inside your S1 to check if you have the pre-infusion chamber. The coffee will begin to drop 6-7 seconds after you touched the button, if it is installed. Otherwise, it will begin immediately. But maybe you just want to see what's indide the beast... Have fun.

hmm.. it seems to start after 3 - 4 seconds....
I was told it's in there by Chris' staff and the place I ordered it from however, so I will definitely ask for it if it has been removed.
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

Hi Sid,
When you receive your S1, did you find a loose brass (or copper) plug ? When I receive mine (with the pre-infusion already installed), there was this little plug in a plastic bag. They remove this plug when they install the pre-infusion. And if you ever want to remove the pre-infusion you must re-install the plug.
If I was living in Hamilton, I would give a try to Laroma coffee. Look at their website and you will see they have a nice selection of coffee.
About the Vario... well, it is not a bad grinder but definitely not in the same class than a Mazzer SJ. I have one and I'm in the process to upgrade because my Vario lacks of constancy in grinding. And it's a little bit fragile. It's common to have to change belt and pulley in the first year. The Mazzer is a tank that you will have in your kitchen forever.
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

sidmuer wrote:
Abnuceals wrote:Hi Sid,

hmm.. it seems to start after 3 - 4 seconds....
I was told it's in there by Chris' staff and the place I ordered it from however, so I will definitely ask for it if it has been removed.
The time isn't a sure fire way to know. The grind can change this as well. If it is too coarse it will let the water through faster than 6 seconds.
It is easy to check by removing the one screw on the top and lifting up the top cover. You will see the canister close to the group head.

If you don't mind spending a bit more there may still be some new Cimbali Max hybrid grinders on ebay new in box for $575 shipped. That is the lowest offer the guy will accept:)
I went from the vario to this and for the money I don't think they really compare.
Last edited by scareyourpassenger on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endo

Post by Endo »

The mechanical pre-infusion is not intended to be adjustable. Of course, if you were determined, I suppose you could remove the c-clip on the back and add a few washers to shorten the pre-infusion time.

To be honest, pre-infusion is an incredibly small factor in the overall taste in the cup. In terms of priority, you need to find a good source of fresh beans, and next, a good grinder. These factors contribute about 70% to the quality in the cup. Machine is then perhaps 20%....pre-infusion is about 1%. :lol:

As far as grinders go: My first choice for best taste for the least $ would be a used Mazzer Major. If price was no object, I'd get the Compak K-10 Fresh. That said, these grinders have the "Major" drawback of being HUGE. If this doesn't concern you, then may want to try searching for a used Major on E-bay. They go for about $400 to $600 used these days. But there are not as many these days so you may need to be patient and wait a few months.

If you want something newer, smaller and available now....the Vario is great. It's a bit fragile, so you may need service more often, but their customer support is excellent.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

I agree with Endo about importance of preinfusion. I got mine just in case - more as a piece of mind. Nobody says it can make things worse ;)

I settled on the Vario after close to a year back and forth between bigger grinders like the SJ or Mini and the Vario. Space was a limiting factor in my case, and aesthetics to some degree. You also have a choice between the weight and time based dosing with the Vario - it will depend on your needs/preferences. Having that choice is a plus for the Vario.

BTW, the wire holding the basket into the handle is indeed very tight. I pried the wire out of the handle and bent the straight sections outwards - they are more like arches now. This way, there is less pressure on the basket side wall making it much easier to remove and replace.
sidmuer

Post by sidmuer »

Endo wrote:The mechanical pre-infusion is not intended to be adjustable. Of course, if you were determined, I suppose you could remove the c-clip on the back and add a few washers to shorten the pre-infusion time.

To be honest, pre-infusion is an incredibly small factor in the overall taste in the cup. In terms of priority, you need to find a good source of fresh beans, and next, a good grinder. These factors contribute about 70% to the quality in the cup. Machine is then perhaps 20%....pre-infusion is about 1%. :lol:

As far as grinders go: My first choice for best taste for the least $ would be a used Mazzer Major. If price was no object, I'd get the Compak K-10 Fresh. That said, these grinders have the "Major" drawback of being HUGE. If this doesn't concern you, then may want to try searching for a used Major on E-bay. They go for about $400 to $600 used these days. But there are not as many these days so you may need to be patient and wait a few months.

If you want something newer, smaller and available now....the Vario is great. It's a bit fragile, so you may need service more often, but their customer support is excellent.
Yes, I read pre-infusion is anything but a big deal. It's good to hear you confirm that. I will not rush to check the machine for this right now then.
And yes, space is an issue for sure. That's why the Vario seems like such a good deal for the size. The wife says the S1 is a little too big even.
I went to a coffee shop today. it seemed quite decent. With Organic espresso too.
I bought 1/4lbs of 3 different espresso types. One being the organic, another called James st south ( house blend) and I forget the 3rd type right now.
I mentioned to the lady that needs to be very fine since the last batch I got from starbucks seemed to trickle out like water and only took about 8 seconds for a shot...
She said no problem. She said she ground it at setting number "3" minus a notch. So a bit below 3.
i wish I looked at the brand name of the grinder, as "3" doesn't help at all without knowing th grinder brand I guess. It was def. a solid looking commercial grinder, however, and she seemed to know her stuff.
So when I got home, set it all up, gave it a go... only 8 seconds or so for the shot, 4 or so bar pressure.
I did a double for me and the wife, and I packed it well, and went a bit above the line. I know that the shower screens were pressed against the coffee as I can feel more resistance when I fitted the protafilter into place on the s1v2. Only then was the extraction slightly thick, and took long, and a tad above 9 bar pressure. But the double shot took too long... over 30 seconds to do a double shot. I stopped it myself at about 33 seconds, and it still probably needed a good 4-6 seconds to go to fill the 2 shot cups.
It had lots of crema and all. When I tried it, VERY bitter. I made another single shot... filled it to the line of the portafiler... again. 8-9 seconds, 4 or so bar pressure. Espresso wasn't bitter though. So I decided to make a quick video, and Youtube my process. It is quite crude, but maybe you can help me fix my problems... and see if it's me or machine related? The video is off my cell phone so I apologize for quality.
Thanks Endo, or anyone else who may chime in. Here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kutJOlqLtS4

here's the link:
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Good news is there is nothing wrong with the machine it seems.

In general, the coffee in your basket did not provide nearly enough resistance to the water and that did not allow proper brewing pressure to built and also resulted in a very quick shot with under-extraction (which the coffee colour clearly confirmed).

There are a few possible reasons for these fast shots:
* severe under dosing - if you have a scale, weight how much is the leveled spoon you used in the video. It should be at least 7 grams, or more depending on grind. This may not be the case as I see the bolt inprint on the coffee puck. Check weight anyway. Volume is not reliable.
* grind is still too coarse. Did you use two leveled spoons for the long double shot you described above or a larger dose?
* if the bolt pressed against the puck too much as you locked the portafilter in place, this may have cracked the puck, which lead to severe channeling

You need to gain control over all important parameters and adjust them properly. Think of it as a music orchestra performance - if one instrument is seriously off, the performance will suck.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Oh dear..... :shock:

We have some work to do. (That shot must have tasted horrible). On the positive side....it can only get better! :smile:

First, your shot was WAY too fast. I counted 8 seconds. You should be aiming for about 30 seconds.

Second, your shot was twice the volume needed. Aim for half that cup.

Your amount of coffee (dose) looks OK. I see it went up to the ridge inside the basket and after the shot, you can just see the impression of the screw head, that's good. A better way to get the dose correct (in absence of a small scale to weigh out 16g) is to simply fill the PF with coffee and level it flat with the back of a knife. Then tamp with about 30lbs pressure. This will get you very close to 16g.

But the problem you have is not the dose, you need to go back to items #1 and #2 I mentioned earlier. First the coffee. When was it roasted? If it was roasted later than 3 weeks ago, you'll get a bad shot. If they won't tell you the roast date or simply say "ohhh, just the other week"...or of it comes out of a silo....it is almost always too stale.

Secondly, the grinder. Even though the woman said she knew what to do .....she does not. The grinder setting #3 or even the brand are meaningless. All machines are very different and will require you to tune the grind. This is how you control the shot time. If it is the slightest bit off, your shot will run in half the time necessary or it won't come out at all. I can tell from your video, yours was MUCH too coarse...which pretty means your whole $15 bag is wasted. And all other bags you buy preground will be a crap-shoot too (and perhaps a big waste of money). You need a good grinder.....no way around it I'm afraid. If grindrer size is important, I recommend the Vario. A popular match with the Vivaldi these days (looks good for the wife too).

The steamed milk??? Wow. You should be trying to make "velvety milk" with no visible bubbles....not a milkshake. Less movement is better. Put the tip just under the surface in the middle and leave it there.

PS....almost forgot.....

Have a look at this video. It should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSxxqWujHK4
sidmuer

Post by sidmuer »

GDK wrote:Good news is there is nothing wrong with the machine it seems.

In general, the coffee in your basket did not provide nearly enough resistance to the water and that did not allow proper brewing pressure to built and also resulted in a very quick shot with under-extraction (which the coffee colour clearly confirmed).

There are a few possible reasons for these fast shots:
* severe under dosing - if you have a scale, weight how much is the leveled spoon you used in the video. It should be at least 7 grams, or more depending on grind. This may not be the case as I see the bolt inprint on the coffee puck. Check weight anyway. Volume is not reliable.
* grind is still too coarse. Did you use two leveled spoons for the long double shot you described above or a larger dose?
* if the bolt pressed against the puck too much as you locked the portafilter in place, this may have cracked the puck, which lead to severe channeling

You need to gain control over all important parameters and adjust them properly. Think of it as a music orchestra performance - if one instrument is seriously off, the performance will suck.
ya, I think I've got a good sense of the dose.
Ie: I can tell when I over-dose, or when I can get it just before... ( no shower screen imprint )
I know it's not under-dosing....
it must be the grind! Which really sucks because I don't have a grinder right now.
For the long double shot, I used 2 shot glass (bar size, standard shot) size cups.
sidmuer

Post by sidmuer »

Lol.
yes, it probably did taste terrible.
However, since I knew this, I didn't even try it! I dumped it. Definitely a coffee crime that needed to be done.
Yes, I agree. From everything I have seen, much too quick of a pull.
But 30 seconds for a single shot as well?? or 30 seconds for a double, and 18-23 for a single?
I know that tin shot cup may have looked big. But it is more hollow inside. It is actually the exact size of one regular shot glass.
About 44ml. I thought it looked big too at first. So I took a regular shot glass full of water and dumped it in there to see. It was equal.
How many ml should I shoot for a proper shot size? 44ml too much?
I didn't even ask about roast date/time. But for this occasion, it would have been nice just to get the grind fine enough.
I will definitely ask those questions next time I go. How long of a roast time do I want to hear.
And if not a silo, how should the beans be stored there?
She had a wall of clear plastic silo style compartments. About 3-4 lbs in size with metal shoots attached to each for dispensing the coffee.
I've been trying different ways to froth. That was not one of the good ones I guess :)
Oh, and I think I've seen your video before when I was randomly looking for videos of proper shots on the S1. Very nice, thick and smooth....
Endo wrote:Oh dear..... :shock:

We have some work to do. (That shot must have tasted horrible). On the positive side....it can only get better! :smile:

First, your shot was WAY too fast. I counted 8 seconds. You should be aiming for about 30 seconds.

Second, your shot was twice the volume needed. Aim for half that cup.

Your amount of coffee (dose) looks OK. I see it went up to the ridge inside the basket and after the shot, you can just see the impression of the screw head, that's good. A better way to get the dose correct (in absence of a small scale to weigh out 16g) is to simply fill the PF with coffee and level it flat with the back of a knife. Then tamp with about 30lbs pressure. This will get you very close to 16g.

But the problem you have is not the dose, you need to go back to items #1 and #2 I mentioned earlier. First the coffee. When was it roasted? If it was roasted later than 3 weeks ago, you'll get a bad shot. If they won't tell you the roast date or simply say "ohhh, just the other week"...or of it comes out of a silo....it is almost always too stale.

Secondly, the grinder. Even though the woman said she knew what to do .....she does not. The grinder setting #3 or even the brand are meaningless. All machines are very different and will require you to tune the grind. This is how you control the shot time. If it is the slightest bit off, your shot will run in half the time necessary or it won't come out at all. I can tell from your video, yours was MUCH too coarse...which pretty means your whole $15 bag is wasted. And all other bags you buy preground will be a crap-shoot too (and perhaps a big waste of money). You need a good grinder.....no way around it I'm afraid. If grindrer size is important, I recommend the Vario. A popular match with the Vivaldi these days (looks good for the wife too).

The steamed milk??? Wow. You should be trying to make "velvety milk" with no visible bubbles....not a milkshake. Less movement is better. Put the tip just under the surface in the middle and leave it there.

PS....almost forgot.....

Have a look at this video. It should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSxxqWujHK4
oton

Post by oton »

sidmuer wrote: But 30 seconds for a single shot as well?? or 30 seconds for a double, and 18-23 for a single?
Yes, the same time. It does not matter if it's single or double.
25-30ml for normale single. 50-60ml for normale double.

Stop buying preground coffee. You'll save money, electricity and time. You have nothing until you have a grinder.

Let me tell you again:

Nothing.

An espresso machine is useless without a grinder. In fact you should have bought the grinder first, then the machine.
sidmuer

Post by sidmuer »

Thanks, I will shoot for that shot size then.
The reason I didn't get a grinder right away, is because this was a purchase for the wife's birthday, and I didn't have the extra $$ to go
all out right away. I was actually thinking the same thing... ( grinder first )
But this machine came up at a good price ( demo with the pre-infusion, lower price) I didn't want to miss it, so I pulled the trigger.
I am thinking of the Vario. But I am also thinking about the machine Endo mentioned here. But that machine might be too large for our kitchen.
oton wrote:
sidmuer wrote: But 30 seconds for a single shot as well?? or 30 seconds for a double, and 18-23 for a single?
Yes, the same time. It does not matter if it's single or double.
25-30ml for normale single. 50-60ml for normale double.

Stop buying preground coffee. You'll save money, electricity and time. You have nothing until you have a grinder.

Let me tell you again:

Nothing.

An espresso machine is useless without a grinder. In fact you should have bought the grinder first, then the machine.
oton

Post by oton »

I'll get the Vario too.

First, for the size.
Second, versatility. You'll want to try other brew methods, I'm sure. The Vario allows to change grinding size for drip coffee, french press, syphon... Usually big espresso grinders only excels or are not valid for other brew methods than espresso.
Third, economics. The Vario have a coffee retention near zero (not zero, but close) So you are going to waste (sacrifice) little coffee everytime you need to purge the stale coffee from the chute.

Cons: Well, it's slow compared to BIG grinders, like K10, K30... But perfect valid for a home environment. And, perhaps, grind quality it's not the same as a big grinder, and I said perhaps because in this kind of things, the mind plays an important role... anyways WDT improves greatly the shots from the Vario, IMO.
Endo

Post by Endo »

[quote="sidmuer"]
She had a wall of clear plastic silo style compartments. About 3-4 lbs in size with metal shoots attached to each for dispensing the coffee.
[\quote]

Run (don't walk) from silo coffee stores. While they are usually not quite as bad as prepackaged grocery store beans, they are close!

The problem is, silos filled from the top. When the person says it was "filled this week", they mean one week ago. The stuff at the bottom that you are getting could be even 2 or 3 weeks older than that. And think about it, that stuff has been out in the open (not even vac packed) the whole time! Also, when they say "filled", they don't even mean roasted. They mean they grabbed the oldest big bag in the back that was roasted 1 month ago, and filled the silo.

The absolute worst is when they sell you a premium coffee like Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain. This always cracks me up. The stuff is twice the price of regular coffee, so the turn-over is probably 1/10th that of the regular priced coffees. Compound this by the fact half these beans are fakes or low grade versions anyway.

All I can say is, some of the WORST coffee I have ever had has come from silos. (You have been warned)

You'll need to seek out a a good local roaster. Another option is to get it mailed from an on-line source (there are many now). Roasting your own is an EXCELLENT method too (I do this often...you can pay $350 for a good roaster like the Behmor and it easily pays for itself in under a year). I have the best option though, which is I found a cafe in Montreal (Cafe in Gamba) that imports the best blends within 1 week from roast date.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

My daughter is coming back from Montreal today and will bring me a pack of Redline Espresso (Metropolis) from Cafe in Gamba :grin:
Endo

Post by Endo »

GDK wrote:My daughter is coming back from Montreal today and will bring me a pack of Redline Espresso (Metropolis) from Cafe in Gamba :grin:
I only go about once a month, but when I do, I usually buy a few different bags (Redline, Toscano, Black Cat, etc). One will last me a week and I'll freeze the others.
sidmuer

Post by sidmuer »

ok, I'm just going to hold off until I have the grinder.
$25 dollars in the hole to learn that pre-grounds from the local shop just don't work! Forget about taste, I can't even get a proper pull due to the grind!

I may have a line on a Kompak K-10 for under $300. I will know by Tuesday. Fingers crossed! It is too big. But from the quality it seems to be, too good to pass up!
I am going to order some redline beans from here: https://www.metropoliscoffee.com/shop/c ... spresso-p1

Is there a Canadian place I can order from instead? Prob. save more on shipping from someone not over the boarder. I am in Ontario (hamilton)
edit:
The K-10 is a crazy long shot, and it will probably fall through, but.... fingers really XXX now.

Endo wrote:
sidmuer wrote: She had a wall of clear plastic silo style compartments. About 3-4 lbs in size with metal shoots attached to each for dispensing the coffee.
[\quote]

Run (don't walk) from silo coffee stores. While they are usually not quite as bad as prepackaged grocery store beans, they are close!

The problem is, silos filled from the top. When the person says it was "filled this week", they mean one week ago. The stuff at the bottom that you are getting could be even 2 or 3 weeks older than that. And think about it, that stuff has been out in the open (not even vac packed) the whole time! Also, when they say "filled", they don't even mean roasted. They mean they grabbed the oldest big bag in the back that was roasted 1 month ago, and filled the silo.

The absolute worst is when they sell you a premium coffee like Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain. This always cracks me up. The stuff is twice the price of regular coffee, so the turn-over is probably 1/10th that of the regular priced coffees. Compound this by the fact half these beans are fakes or low grade versions anyway.

All I can say is, some of the WORST coffee I have ever had has come from silos. (You have been warned)

You'll need to seek out a a good local roaster. Another option is to get it mailed from an on-line source (there are many now). Roasting your own is an EXCELLENT method too (I do this often...you can pay $350 for a good roaster like the Behmor and it easily pays for itself in under a year). I have the best option though, which is I found a cafe in Montreal (Cafe in Gamba) that imports the best blends within 1 week from roast date.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Head over to "Idrinkcoffee" in Milton (about 40 minutes from your place). Or "Espresso Planet" in Mississauga. They sell Vivaldis and Varios and can give you tips. They probably also have a good suggestion for fresh roasts. If they aren't fresh enough, you can also buy a Behmor 1600 and fresh green beans from them (you can even buy online). Be warned though....there may be no turning back! :lol:
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

J***S ! A K-10 under $300. I could kill for such a deal.
BTW, if you want to order in Ontario, there is Bridgehead : http://www.bridgeheadroastery.ca/ Until recently they were buying their beans in Montreal. But last month, one of their barista in Ottawa told me they were supposed to roast their beans localy now. If you have an opportunity to stop in Ottawa, go try a double shot at Bridgehead. All their coffeeshop are now equiped with Synesso machines, the RollsRoyce of espresso machine.
Endo

Post by Endo »

If you get some beans from Bridgehead, here is a little secret. The weird looking code on the bottom of the bag is the roast date....but backwards. So rosted today would be:

11020180 (or 8 Oct 2011)

Don't buy anything over 3 weeks old. If all the bags on the shelf are past 3 weeks, then ask to make a bag from the big bag they use on their Synesso in the back. It's usually the freshest.

If you want to try something closer to home, you can try Oakville which has the new "Caravalho Coffee" (roasted on site using beans from his Brazilian family farm).

http://www.facebook.com/people/Carvalho ... 2099880429

There is also the "Green Bean Store" on Lakeshore in downtown Oakville. Seems like a bit of a tourist trap, I turned and left after waiting too long last time so I can't say if it was any good....or just had WiFi. :lol:

You can also order beans from the most popular place "The Greenbeanery" in Toronto.
sidmuer

Post by sidmuer »

Abnuceals wrote:J***S ! A K-10 under $300. I could kill for such a deal.
BTW, if you want to order in Ontario, there is Bridgehead : http://www.bridgeheadroastery.ca/ Until recently they were buying their beans in Montreal. But last month, one of their barista in Ottawa told me they were supposed to roast their beans localy now. If you have an opportunity to stop in Ottawa, go try a double shot at Bridgehead. All their coffeeshop are now equiped with Synesso machines, the RollsRoyce of espresso machine.
It seems it MIGHT happen... it will be $300 even for the grinder... It was supposed to be less. But as you can see, I am not complaining.
I feel it's going to be a 10% chance I'll get it.
I will know Tues basically. If it falls through, I am simply going to order the Vario.
sidmuer

Post by sidmuer »

I've got an immediate offer where I can get this:
http://www.espressoparts.com/LM_SWIFT

for $1000 even.
It's way over-kill.
Too big for me.
Too big for the house! :)
But the price from it's original value seems like a steal.

What's a better deal over-all? The K-10 for $300 ?
Or this for $1000?
Also, the K-10 is a long shot, while this is for sure.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Swift is huge and total overkill.

Your best choice is a new Vario or used Mazzer SJ or Major (all between $400 and $500).
sidmuer

Post by sidmuer »

Endo wrote:Swift is huge and total overkill.

Your best choice is a new Vario or used Mazzer SJ or Major (all between $400 and $500).
That's what I thought.
Even for the right price, the thing would have no place to go!
Ok, if the K10 doesn't happen, I will stick with the Vario as planned.
On a side note, I found an offer for a K-6 platinum for $300.
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

Hi Sid
You seems very lucky. The K-6 platinum is the one I'm looking for. $300 is a real bargain. Go ahead.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”