Cleaning Metal Surfaces

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
DDay

Cleaning Metal Surfaces

Post by DDay »

Any tips? Occasional spray from my bottomless PF has left some spots on the metal behind the group (where the gauge is). These have proved very difficult, if not impossible, to remove.

Thanks for any suggestions
GDK
God Shot

Re: Cleaning Metal Surfaces

Post by GDK »

I have had god results using Windex and paper towel.
DDay

Post by DDay »

Thanks

I didn't even think of something this easy.
Louis

Post by Louis »

When I back flush with detergent (Urnex Cafiza or other) and soak filter baskets/portafilter, I use a microfiber rag with some solution. Works especially well.
Last edited by Louis on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oton

Post by oton »

Coffee spots impossible to clean?? I only use water an a cloth. :-?
DDay

Post by DDay »

Excellent suggestions. My tap water leaves its own spots.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Barista 101:

Keep 2 microfibre cloths near the machine. Keep one wet (or just one corner wet, if you are only making 1 or 2 drinks). Use it to clean milk off the steam wand, machine, etc. Keep the other dry and use it to dry cups, machine, etc.

To clean the machine, use a clean wet cloth first, then a clean dry. (Don't bother with silly sprays. They are a waste of money). The coffee and milk spray will come off easily if you wipe it as soon as it happens. Keep 10 or so spare microfibre cloths around and throw them in the wash every week or so.

Around your grinder, keep a brush for sweeping off dry grounds. (Mini vac works too, but I find it not very Zen). :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I use the wet microfiber cloth method most of the time but every few weeks I break out the Bar Keepers Friend when I want to do a thorough cleaning.
Endo

Post by Endo »

About once a month I'll shine the chrome with a product called "Bon Ami" that is sold here in Quebec (basically a spray foam glass cleaner). Makes it really sparkle.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

There is also a Bon Ami cleaning powder which is like Comet: http://www.bonami.com/index.php/product ... _cleanser/ You do NOT want to use that on chrome!
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

WOW What a nice travel back in the 60's when my mother used that stuff. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-JET-SPRAY- ... 0516431485
Since it has a french name, I can understand Endo thought it was a genuine canadian product.
This powder, it's probably something really rough like Ajax or Comet. Oh I can see the scratches on the S1 from here.
Myself, I use moist microfiber cloth. It's enough to do a nice job.
Endo

Post by Endo »

YIKES! Not the same stuff at all.

I'm talking about the gentle foaming glass and chrome cleaner that leaves no streaks:

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... 0537?Num=0

Works great....and no scratches.
Bon Ami
Bon Ami
product-thumbnail-bon-ami-power-foam-glass-cleaner.gif (3.09 KiB) Viewed 13314 times
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

Bon Ami's "motto" for their powder cleanser is "hasn’t scratched yet®," so it may be just fine. It is nowhere near so abrasive as I remember Comet being. I HAVE NOT TRIED IT on the Vivaldi, but it's great on our SS sink & other shiny metal kitchen surfaces. The mild abrasives in it are limestone & feldspar.

http://www.bonami.com/index.php/product ... _cleanser/

Now, if you use it on your Viv & you scratch the dickens out of it, don't blame me...I'm just relating my experience & Bon Ami's own "prod-paganda."
Endo

Post by Endo »

I wouldn't risk using a powdered cleanser. Too abrasive. But the foaming glass cleaner "Bon Ami" I showed is harmless.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”