Shower Screens

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
symbology

Shower Screens

Post by symbology »

Could someone please explain to me why my extra set of screens is not the same as the one that came on the machine? The upper screen looks like the screw hole was enlarged for some reason. It is not even centered anymore.

BTW, the shower screens holes seem to be off center just like the holes on the PF baskets. Pretty sad quality control IMO.

-Allen
Attachments
Why the difference?
Why the difference?
shower_screens.jpg (99.42 KiB) Viewed 10170 times
Endo

Re: Shower Screens

Post by Endo »

That's weird. I never saw a big hole like that before. :shock: Too much Grappa at LaSpaziale again.
oton

Post by oton »

Weird. I have 5 sets of screens. All OK. Perhaps It's a screen for other model?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'd guess that you got the wrong screen in your kit. Ask your supplier to replace it with the correct screen. As for Italian quality if you had ever owned Italian cars or motorcycles from the 1960/1970's period you'd be impressed with what you get now.
symbology

Post by symbology »

I will contact CCS (again), I have two sets that have the offset/larger hole. When I ordered the 3rd set, I specifically told them (in an email) that it was to be replacing the original extra set that the large offset hole. I was shocked when I opened up the package only to see the same thing on this set.

I really have to question what the heck they are doing over there.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It could always be a redesign. I am guessing that when these screens are inserted properly they will work fine even with the larger hole. When the machine first came out a number of us early adapters fooled around with alternate arrangements of the screens to see if it would allow more grounds in the basket. This was back when the dispersion disk was thicker and triple baskets were just a wet dream. What the larger hole will prevent is putting the two screens together in any other way but the correct way. You can't put the smaller screen inside the larger screen or not use it.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

chas wrote:It could always be a redesign.... You can't put the smaller screen inside the larger screen or not use it.
Good point. That may be it. And as you say, no flow comes through this area anyway so I'm sure either will work fine.
symbology

Post by symbology »

The upper screens with the big holes punched in them do not allow the outer screen to meet up with it. One of them is really bad. The way the holes are made creates a large lip on the upper screen which keeps the lower screen from fitting properly. These are rough cut holes with sharp edges left behind.

This is by design?

And no, the screens are not bent. In the picture below the lower screen will "teeter" from side to side pivoting on the raised lip on the enlarged hole.
Attachments
This is by design?
This is by design?
screen-set1.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 10123 times
symbology

Post by symbology »

Endo wrote:
chas wrote:It could always be a redesign.... You can't put the smaller screen inside the larger screen or not use it.
Good point. That may be it. And as you say, no flow comes through this area anyway so I'm sure either will work fine.
I gotcha. The screen config trying to increase the head room when using the thick diffuser? That could be it. Though, I would prefer that they not hack up the parts to keep people from trying it out. Really, you can slice open a finger with the sharp edge on these things.
Endo

Post by Endo »

symbology wrote:The upper screens with the big holes punched in them do not allow the outer screen to meet up with it.
Mine has a gap as well when loose on a table. Try tightening it up in the machine and see if the gap goes away.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”