Bottomless vs double spout taste difference

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
KatKat

Bottomless vs double spout taste difference

Post by KatKat »

In the last few days I have been using the double spout portafilter after I had been using the bottomless for a while.
I think that the double spout taste is better, the shots more consistent and I am getting much less "pencil head holes" in my puck.

Comments?
symbology

Re: Bottomless vs double spout taste difference

Post by symbology »

Do you find that your extraction times/rates are the same when using the different PFs'?

When using the bottomless PF, do you swirl/blend the shot at all? The spouts on the PF do invoke a bit of blending during the extraction.
Endo

Post by Endo »

KatKat wrote:In the last few days I have been using the double spout portafilter after I had been using the bottomless for a while.
I think that the double spout taste is better, the shots more consistent and I am getting much less "pencil head holes" in my puck.
I heard this comment made before as well (except for the puck hole part). I tried it myself a few times. It's subtle but there does seem to be a small difference. Still might be in my head though.
oton

Post by oton »

I think I have the same holes issue with bottomless and with the spouted. I don't see how the spout could affect something like that.

To me, bottomless vs spout it's more mouthfeeling than taste wise. The crema seems to "polish" a little with the friction of the spouts and due to the lower height between the PF and the cup, so the fall is shorter and the crema bubbling less. Taste difference perhaps is due to the spout mixing action, not sure, but anyway I always stirr my coffee to homogenize it well.

But as Endo says, all of this to me it's very subtle too.
KatKat

Post by KatKat »

I will keep testing. The taste might be in my head, but I am pretty sure about the pinholes. I will make sure I stir in both cases.
symbology

Post by symbology »

KatKat wrote:I will keep testing. The taste might be in my head, but I am pretty sure about the pinholes. I will make sure I stir in both cases.
If the dose/grind and volume are all the same, what are your shot times like between the two?

Return to “Mini General Q&A”