Steam Arm movement = Rough / Noisy

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
symbology

Steam Arm movement = Rough / Noisy

Post by symbology »

This is my 3rd espresso machine with articulating steam arms and this is the first one that is somewhat hard / rough to use and it also makes a creaking sound when moving it. Is this normal for the Vivaldi, or ?

Thanks,

Allen
Endo

Re: Steam Arm movement = Rough / Noisy

Post by Endo »

Yes. It's normal on a new machine. The surface finish will smooth out after a month and it will slide more easily with no noise.
symbology

Post by symbology »

Ok, cool.

My Silvano and Andreja had no such issues. Maybe the Vivaldi is a little bit different. It sounds like the spring is creaking a bit.

Thanks again.

-Allen
oton

Post by oton »

I don't know if it's normal, but I have not ever heard any creaking noise.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I have 3 different arms. The stock arm was smooth, but the S5 started off exactly as described. The ball end of the wand has a spring sandwiched between the cup (like a hip joint). The surface finish when new seems to make the joint rather stiff and then the spring grabs making a creaking noise. After a month or so it wears smooth.
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

Even after a year of four pulls a day, my V-II arm still creaks when cold. After I run some steam through it, though, no more creak!
Endo

Post by Endo »

Well, it sure is better than the opposite. Nothing is worse than some other machines where the wand flops around when you have one hand on the lever (or knob) and the other on the pitcher.
symbology

Post by symbology »

Yeah, I would say that there is a bit more resistance with this setup. Which, I agree is nice to have.
caf4brains

Post by caf4brains »

My steam arm has creaked for years. Kind of like my knees when I first get up in the morning, so as long as we don't leak everything is fine!
symbology

Post by symbology »

Well, as of this morning I have noticed that it is indeed leaking.
Endo

Post by Endo »

symbology wrote:Well, as of this morning I have noticed that it is indeed leaking.
This is very weird. I've never hear of so many issues on one machine. Sounds like a lemon to me. Just send it back and tell them to send a new one that was tested with EVERYTHING working.

Well, if you still have any patience left, this is what I would do:

If you are SURE it's not coming from the thread at the top of the wand itself and not the nut (which is visible without removing anything), then here is what you do to get to the big brass nut:

1- Take off both side panels.
2- Remove the top front panel and let it hang down in front (button panel still attached). This will give you room to use a wrench on the big brass wand nut next to the hot water tap.
3- Untorque the nut and remove the wand. Be careful, the nut will slide down the wand and expose a spring and a small brass cup that the wand ball-end sits in.
4- Look around and see if anything seems damaged or missing.
5- Re-assemble and retorque, using thread tape again if neeed.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Have you checked this document yet? It might help figure out what is wrong and, if you figure out that you need a new O ring, you'll have the part number to ask for. I have seen them not put the O rings in quite right so that one side gets smashed down.

s1v2/images/SteamArmAssy.pdf
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
symbology

Post by symbology »

chas wrote:Have you checked this document yet? It might help figure out what is wrong and, if you figure out that you need a new O ring, you'll have the part number to ask for. I have seen them not put the O rings in quite right so that one side gets smashed down.

s1v2/images/SteamArmAssy.pdf
Yeah, I did see that a bit ago. Too bad the dimensions for the o-rings are not listed. It would probably be pretty easy to source them locally.

Thanks,

Allen
symbology

Post by symbology »

**As posted in the other thread**

Turns out the nut holding the steam arm on was I am afraid to say, not even hand tight, and backed out a bit. Pulled the machine apart AGAIN, and tightened up the nut. All seems fine now.
Endo

Post by Endo »

WTF? I never heard of so many assembly mistakes on one machine. Makes me wonder what other little gems are hidden inside. I'd send it back.....if not just to make a point. Let them pay the shipping cost.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I'd seriously consider not buying a machine around "Christmas rush" time.

Well, like I said, you're a patient man. (More than me at least). I hope your wife is just as patient as mine. :grin: and I hope this is the last of these issues, so you can finally get to making some coffee. :roll:

Return to “Mini General Q&A”