Latte Art & Skim Milk

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
txrpls

Latte Art & Skim Milk

Post by txrpls »

What the heck is the trick with getting decent art with skim milk and this beast. I can get 8 out of 10 with 2% but maybe 1 out of 10 with skim milk. Using 12oz pitcher, both straight and curved with success with 2%, but no such luck with skim. Really chaps me off.
oton

Re: Latte Art & Skim Milk

Post by oton »

Mmm, and you can get decent art with whole milk?
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

I haven't tried whole milk but I have no problem with 2%.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It's almost impossible to come close to even 2% milk success with Skim. However, for best results, conventional wisdom is that the aeration phase should only go until the milk gets to 70F whereas for whole milk the target is 90-100F. You might even try completely skipping the aeration phase and plunge the steam tip right from the start.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

Thanks for the replies. I've stretched, not stretched, swirled, rolled, plunged and not plunged. Tried four different pitches, 3 different sizes. About the only thing I haven't done is shove it up my a$$. :smile: Maybe that is next. Tried 1% and poured a nice rosetta on the first try. I guess if I want to do latte art for my wife she is going to have to get fat :grin: What do you think she will say?
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

Just tell her that you've always secretly admired rubenesque women.
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

Just let her know that while skim has less fat, it has more sugar. And the sugar is what would make her...um...rubenesque.

We do four breves every day. You can see from my flickr pictures that my wife is anything but fat!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobusn/326 ... 269725371/

Return to “Mini General Q&A”