Whirring Sound

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
txrpls

Whirring Sound

Post by txrpls »

Just set up my new Mini last night and it sure is a nice machine. I thought I had a lot of steam with my Tea. What a wimp compared to the new machine. I notice a whirring sound kind of like a small motor coming on and off. Could someone clue me in on what this sound is. I just runs for a few seconds. and cycles with the boiler light.
Last edited by txrpls on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endo

Re: Whirring Sound

Post by Endo »

I think that was my first question on this forum (1.5 years ago)! :lol:

The noise is the cooling fan. It only comes on when the steam boiler is heating.
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

Thanks for the info. The sound is a little on the loud side. I may pop the cover and see what is going on in there.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Some fans seem to be a bit louder than others. There used to be an issue with the fan mounting washers, but I think this was fixed.

My guess is the noise on some machines is a little louder due to variations in inlet air flow distortion from the holes below the fan. Perhaps adding another spacer/washer might quite things down.
Last edited by Endo on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oton

Post by oton »

Endo wrote:I think that was my first question on this forum (1.5 years ago)! :lol:

The noise is the cooling fan. It only comes on when the steam boiler is heating.
Fan? What fan? :shock:
Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:Fan? What fan? :shock:
This one:

s1v2/S1vsVII.php

(see third row of photos down...and brief explanation of the original S1 noise problem).
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

230V units don't have a fan because at 230V only 1/2 as much current runs through the Steam Boiler Triac to equal the same wattage in the heating element as in 115V S1s. Same thing with the Boiler triac but since the boiler heater element is a much lower wattage and both boilers use the same Triac, that device can handle 2x the current at 115V and still not require a fan.

1440W/230V = 6.3A
1440W/115V - 12.6A
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

Ahh yes! I forgot about that. Makes sense.

Things are quieter in Europe! :lol:

Return to “Mini General Q&A”