Always hot?

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
David23

Always hot?

Post by David23 »

I just changed my grouphead gasket after one year (probably should have done it sooner), and noticed it had quite a pronounced indentation in it. I leave my unit on 24/7 as I use it very early in the morning, and don't have, or really want to deal with a timer. I have always had the portafilter locked into place. Assuming locking the PF has put extra force on the hot gasket, should I just barely fit the PF into the grouphead to try and preserve the gasket shape? What do others do? Just not worry about it and change the gasket more frequently?
JohnB

Re: Always hot?

Post by JohnB »

1 year is a pretty good lifespan for the g/h gasket with the machine running 24/7. I only lock the p/f down tight when I'm pulling a shot, most of the time it is just loosely fitted.
David23

Post by David23 »

I probably should have replaced it earlier, it has had some leaks periodically for a while, not a big deal, but really the lifespan would be more accurately described as about 9-10 months.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

If you've worn a groove in the gasket but it's still soft and pliable, you can always flip the gasket over.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
David23

Post by David23 »

The gasket was hard and brittle. Broke easily when I was taking it out.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The last 3 gaskets removed themselves from my machine, they came off attached to the PF when their time came. They all had the indentation, no cracks but they were no longer rubbery.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Ive always left my machines on 24/7.. I prefer it.

When Im not using my machine, and IF I leave the PF in the group, its just barely hanging in there.. just enough so it wont fall out when someone walks near the machine. But, other times, Ill just put the PF up top. The S1V2 gets nice a toasty up top, especially in the "front row".. Keeps the PF nice and hot.. The handle too.. I like a warm handle on the PF.

I just replaced the group gasket, but IDK how long it was in there since John last replaced it. I probably could have got another month out of it, but it was pretty stiff, and wouldnt yield to being poked with a blunt WDT tool. But, reason I replaced it is when I took it out and did the squeeze test.. there was cracks.

I always keep at least one, preferably two group gaskets on hand at all times. That way, Im never without one, and Im not worried about removing the gasket to clean it, and the groove behind it. In case I screw one up, Ive got some new ones ready to go.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

JmanEspresso wrote: I just replaced the group gasket, but IDK how long it was in there since John last replaced it. I probably could have got another month out of it, but it was pretty stiff, and wouldnt yield to being poked with a blunt WDT tool. But, reason I replaced it is when I took it out and did the squeeze test.. there was cracks.
That one was still a baby, just put it in 9/27/09. First one lasted 10 months (10/1/08) & the second just shy of a year. I changed them when they started to drip as I really don't enjoying cranking the p/f over hard to get a seal. I'll be tossing my S1 maintenance log soon so if you've got any questions email me soon.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”