Mini Boiler Precautions

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Endo

Mini Boiler Precautions

Post by Endo »

The boiler on the Mini is quite small compared to the Maxi (1.2L versus 2.5L). It is also a sealed unit with no draing plug, so extra caution is required on the Mini:

First of all, soft water is essential. Only a hardness of 3 grains or less should be used. If scale does develop you'll need to follow more lengthy descaling procedure (here):

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/s1-mini-vivaldi-descaling

The units directly from LaSpaziale actually come with a water softener/filter that fits conveniently in the reservoir.

Next, the good news. The Mini boiler is a small laser welded steel (sealed) unit which is less costly to produce, so replacement is relatively cheap compared to the Maxi (only $162.50, which includes the built in heater, actually cheaper than the Rancilio Silvia). Also, since the the boiler is small and the heater has the same 1250W power as the Maxi, the heatup time is about half (only 3.5 minutes). This means you can leave the boiler off and turn it on only when someone requests a milk drink (very cheap on power and eco-friendly). With the boiler off, you can leave it on 24/7 without even the fan coming on. It's ready to go for expresso any time you want, and you don't need the $200 timer.

Unfortunately there is one other downside to the small boiler. Again, since it is small, you can only take about 6 oz of water from the hot water faucet. If you take more the heater elements will be monentarily not submerged and this may cause the heater (and boiler) to fail early and need replacement.

So there you go. Don't worry, be happy :grin: But try and follow these guidelines for good, long Mini boiler life.
Last edited by Endo on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MDL
Barista

Re: Mini Boiler Precautions

Post by MDL »

I'm not at all sure that you have thought out, or know what you are talking about.

1. Water of reasonable softness is important to all of the Vivaldi's, although I agree that with the smaller and sealed boiler it is perhaps a bit more important.

2. The fan only comes on when the steam boiler is on; obviously the fan will not come on if you have the steam boiler off.

3. I don't have a mini, but I am quite sure that they have designed the system so that it will start to refill the steam boiler when the level goes down. On the regular Vivaldi it starts filling and you are just fine. I am quite sure that it is safe to take more than 6 oz of hot water without fear of cooking the heating element.

I support your great enthusiasm for the Vivaldi but urge you to think more carefully about exactly what you are saying and why.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Care to highlight something you disagree with in more detail? I gave it quite a bit of thought. Your points 1 and 2 are simply confirming what I said so I'm not sure what you are really saying. If you would like more information regarding item 3, I can supply it.

This information I am sharing with other Mini users to avoid unnecessary premature repairs and to hopefully prompt discussion (that is the point of a forum, no?)

You have the option of ignoring it or you can always discuss it with LaSpaziale or your own retailer (which is where I got my information by the way).

Your message came off as a little rude, but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.
Last edited by Endo on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

MDL wrote: 3. I don't have a mini, but I am quite sure that they have designed the system so that it will start to refill the steam boiler when the level goes down. On the regular Vivaldi it starts filling and you are just fine. I am quite sure that it is safe to take more than 6 oz of hot water without fear of cooking the heating element.
Actually Chris Coffee asked me to add this warning in the new VII MIni User's Manual they had me write for them.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

Not refilling the boiler has been a longtime issue with the Rancilio Silvia as well (my old machine). It's surprising how many people make milk drinks and don't bother refilling the boiler after steaming, leaving a large portion of the heating element not submerged.

In the case of the Vivaldi, you at least have the automatic refill that the Silvia does not, so I don't expect the heating element would be unsubmerged for very long.

Just another reason not to make too many Chai Lattes. :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

So why doesn't the pump kick in on the Mini when the level drops like it does on the S1? Is it just that the vibe pump can't replace the water fast enough? I pull 24oz at a time from the steam boiler when I'm filling the press pot or my wife's tea carafe. The Mini would never survive in our household.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I also pull 24oz at a time from the VII with some regularity w/o every having a problem over 4+ years. Pulling 24oz from a 2.4L boiler is drains about 1/3 of the total capacity. Draining 6oz from a 1.2L boiler only drains 15% of the capacity, so I'm not sure what it is about the Mini Boiler or heater element design that makes this an issue.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

Yes, the water seems to come out of the faucet at about twice the speed the vibe pump can refill. Time for a double vibe pump mod! :lol: . A simpler mod might be to add a hot water flow restrictor on the Mini (should be simple enough, just a washer or finer screen).

Seriously though, just like the 15A mode, and the resevoir, it just means a little more patience (but not much). Take 6 oz, wait 10 seconds, take another 6 oz. I think the 6oz might be a bit extreme given the 1.2L capacity. We might need some more clarification.

The Mini is a home machine and not a light commercial machine like the Maxi. I'm not running a cafe or making hot soup. Heck, I'm moving so slow, my biggest worry is keeping the PF hot. So for me, it works just fine. Small is beautiful (and portable).

Followup edit:

I just took the filter screen off my hot water faucet to see if I could add a restrictor (so I could have uninterupted but slower flow) and found a brass shaving inside. Sad they haven't addressed this quality issue still, even on the newer models.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Must have something to do with the lack of inside access on the Mini boiler so they aren't able to rinse it out as well?? Has anyone had the same issue with the S1? With the removable cover & drain plug that would be inexcusable.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote: The Mini is a home machine and not a light commercial machine like the Maxi. I'm not running a cafe or making hot soup. Heck, I'm moving so slow, my biggest worry is keeping the PF hot. So for me, it works just fine. Small is beautiful (and portable).
The Mini & the S1 are the exact same size but I'll give you the portable part. Also in the U.S. there is only a $200 difference between the two . When did the S1 become the "Maxi"? Am I the only one that hates that name?
Niko

Post by Niko »

JohnB wrote:When did the S1 become the "Maxi"? Am I the only one that hates that name?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote: The Mini & the S1 are the exact same size but I'll give you the portable part. Also in the U.S. there is only a $200 difference between the two . When did the S1 become the "Maxi"? Am I the only one that hates that name?
By portable, I mean you don't need the plumb-in. With 15A and the resevrvoir, I can put it in the back of my truck and bring it to a friend's house (Christmas party, etc). Although at 62 lbs, it's not exactly like bringing over a bottle of wine.

As far as the name goes, how about S1 and S 1/2 ? Or plumbed and pourover. Or Vibe and Rotary? Or Big and little? Or Ernie and Bert? :lol:
Niko

Post by Niko »

The Mini and Maxi names are kind of cute :-P

I wouldn't carry a 62lb pig to someone's house for a party, that's pretty extreme.
Although I did lug a QuickMill Anita to a friend's house for a party once, I wouldn't do that again especially with a Mini Vivaldi since it's about 15lbs heavier.
I know what you meant by portability, people call the GS3 portable yet that machine is a 73lb pig :lol:
They're all portable since they don't need the plumbing-in.
jpreiser
Americano

Post by jpreiser »

The S1(V1 or V2) are portable. :twisted:

They just need a FloJet and water bottle.

Not that I'm planning on moving mine more than maybe to a different spot in the kitchen any time soon.
Vivaldi S1V2, Macap MXA
Bunn BTX, CCD, Chemex, Aeropress, Baratza Virtuoso
Gene Cafe
Endo

Post by Endo »

jpreiser wrote:The S1(V1 or V2) are portable. :twisted:

They just need a FloJet and water bottle.
Using that argument, all machines are portable (ever try moving a 3 group S5 to a new spot....fork-lift anyone?)

My definition of portable is 15A (any outlet), pour-over and under 80lbs (carried by one person). And of course the Maxi has 2 of these 3 requirements (if you own the 15A converter cord). I think even the Mini (at 62 lbs) is pushing the limit in terms of "portable" (unless you're from Texas of course).

The Mini wouldn't exist if people hadn't asked for it.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:
The Mini & the S1 are the exact same size but I'll give you the portable part. Also in the U.S. there is only a $200 difference between the two . When did the S1 become the "Maxi"? Am I the only one that hates that name?
In Canada the Maxi is $2800 and the Mini is $2400. The Flowjet sells for $200 here. All told, there is a $600+tax difference between the Mini and Maxi (no small change).

I got mine a month ago when the price was actally $400 lower then it is now. I feel lucky.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

My idea of portable is: skip the coffee and take a six pack!

:occasion5:
Chas
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Cheers :occasion5:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote:My idea of portable is: skip the coffee and take a six pack!

:occasion5:

That is one option but when I travel & want coffee my Zass & Chambord are my idea of portable.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:
That is one option but when I travel & want coffee my Zass & Chambord are my idea of portable.
I have the Zass Turkish 175M as my travel grinder. Works great, is super durable and packs well. But the "luggage gorillas" at the arirport have forced me to replace my Bodum Chambord for a Aerobie Aeropress.

I add the grinder, Aeropress and a zip bag of beans in a shaving bag and I'm ready to go. All I need is a microwave in my room and I'm in business.

One word of caution, if the securtiy folks open the bag, you'll be spending a half hour explaining how your not a drug dealer.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote: I have the Zass Turkish 175M as my travel grinder. Works great, is super durable and packs well. But the "luggage gorillas" at the arirport have forced me to replace my Bodum Chambord for a Aerobie Aeropress.

I add the grinder, Aeropress and a zip bag of beans in a shaving bag and I'm ready to go. All I need is a microwave in my room and I'm in business.

One word of caution, if the securtiy folks open the bag, you'll be spending a half hour explaining how your not a drug dealer.
Not a problem for me as I haven't been on an airplane since 1989. When I travel its either by motorcycle, kayak or car. I have an A/P but was never impressed with it but I can see its usefulness when on the road "alone". I almost always travel with my wife so we need something that will fill 2 travel mugs quickly.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Wish I had a Zass Turkish mill.
Anyone wanna sell one? :roll:
I know you two would never part with yours (neither would I) but I'd like to get one some day. :mrgreen:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Mine's the Knee Mill as I use it primarily for press pot grinding & you are right it isn't for sale.
Endo

Post by Endo »

OK. Back on the subject of the Mini Boiler and scale:

I finally got around to measuring my water hardness to see if I need to worry about descaling.I measured the water from my tap and surprisingly, it came out only 100-120 ppm. Quite a bit lower than I had heard for Montreal. I guess it depends on the suburb since many have different water sources.

I then measured the water coming out of the PF of my machine (after I had double filtered it through a one week old "Brita" filter and then my resevoir "Bestcup" filter/softener that came installed in my Mini).... and got only 40-60 ppm. BINGO!

Then I got curious to see how much the "Brita" alone would soften. But something strange happened. I put in the first of the Nutriscan drops in the test-tube of my GH tester, and for some reason I didn't get the usual light pink colour (which turns to blue later in the test). Instead, it was completely clear. I add more drops, still nothing. I repeat the test. Same thing. No colour.

I'm guessing here, but the only thing I can think of is it has something to do with the fact that the water was filtered less than one minute before the test. I'll try letting the "Brita" filtered water rest a day and restest again.

Anyway, no big deal since it's the water out of the PF that interests me....and I'm all good there. :bounce:

Return to “Mini General Q&A”