setting two-cup timer for 28 seconds

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Doug

setting two-cup timer for 28 seconds

Post by Doug »

I have a problem that the timer works without coffee but does not work with. In other words, I have set the two-cup timer for 28 seconds and it shuts off as expected with no coffee in the portafilter but with coffee in the filter it does not shut off. Strange.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: setting two-cup timer for 28 seconds

Post by chas »

It's not a timer. Its a flow meter. If it stops after 28 seconds it's because a certain amount of water has flowed in 28 secs. With coffee in the pf it will try to run until that same amount of water comes out of the PF. In a typical S1 almost a cup of water might flow out in 28 seconds with an empty pf. You really should set the flow so that 1.5-2oz comes out of the PF in 25 seconds WITH coffee in the PF.

When you say that the machine is never shutting off when a PF contains coffee, how much water if flowing out or rather how much water has flowed out after 28 seconds? If less that 1.5oz,the coffee is too fine. If more than 1.5 ounces you need to reprogram the volumetric dosing. Does the one cup button work OK? The only difference between the One Cup and Two Cup buttons is the icon on the button. Either one can be programmed for whatever purpose and whatever amount of water delivery you want.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Well my friend, this may come as a disappointment but there is no timer for the shots on the Vivaldi. :roll:
The dose adjustment is actually a control of the volume of water that is allowed to go through (Flowmeter).

I am not sure what you did to get water flowing for 28 second, pre-infusion or not, but I am assuming that you let water run through, with no coffee, for 28 seconds and then stopped it. This in fact will give you a very large volume of water. When you put coffee in the flow will be slowed down significantly and thus appear to go on forever...
What you must do is set up a shot of coffee in the P/F, put the machine in dose programming and start the shot. When the volume of water has reached about 2 oz (60ml) or any other volume that you want to achieve you stop the shot and exit the programming mode. After that the shots will always have approximately the same final volume of espresso. I write approximately because there is a certain amount of water that is absorbed by the coffee puck and never gets in the cup. This absorbed volume will differ with each dose, coffee type, and the grind fineness.

I have set my machine to give me almost 90ml (3 ounces) of water when free flowing. I typically cut the shot before the end but sometime I let it run through the end and get about 60 ml in the cup with 15.5 grams of coffee.

Don't get hung over the shot timing. Aim at between 25-40 seconds for 14-18 grams of coffee and 30 to 60 ml of espresso in the cup. »These are very large parameter range but refinement should be based on your personal taste.

Hope this helps.

PS: This was written at the same time that Chas was writing his explanation. May sound a bit redundant... ;-)
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
MikeDee
Americano

Post by MikeDee »

Newbie here. How can I reset the double shot timer? How can I manually start and stop the flow? I'm using a gram scale and want 34g of coffee in a cup. The timer currently stops the flow short where I want.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Sounds like you need to read this manual: V2 Mini Owners Manual

FYI, there is no way to disable the volumetric dosing. If you want to manually control dosing, program a button for more water than you'll ever need, then press the button while running to turn off the flow.

Calling it a timer is incorrect. It measures the amount of water flow through the volumetric doser. The water turns a small plastic wheel and the doser records the number of turns of the wheel for a specific volume. Also, the coffee grounds will absorb differing amounts of water that are dependent on the coffee, the grind, the age, the tamp pressure, and the quantity. Since it is virtually impossible to closely control all the variables from shot to shot the amount of liquid coffee you end up with will differ for every shot.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
MikeDee
Americano

Post by MikeDee »

chas wrote:Sounds like you need to read this manual: V2 Mini Owners Manual

FYI, there is no way to disable the volumetric dosing. If you want to manually control dosing, program a button for more water than you'll ever need, then press the button while running to turn off the flow.

Calling it a timer is incorrect. It measures the amount of water flow through the volumetric doser. The water turns a small plastic wheel and the doser records the number of turns of the wheel for a specific volume. Also, the coffee grounds will absorb differing amounts of water that are dependent on the coffee, the grind, the age, the tamp pressure, and the quantity. Since it is virtually impossible to closely control all the variables from shot to shot the amount of liquid coffee you end up with will differ for every shot.
Yes, I did read the manual. I can't seem to figure out how to get the one or two shot buttons into programming mode. When I push either button, the default volume is delivered and the flow stops. Both are too short for what I want. How can I keep the flow going so I can push the button again to stop the flow and then save the setting? The text in the manual and the chart at the back also disagree, as the text does not say to save the setting, push the ON/STBY button.
MikeDee
Americano

Post by MikeDee »

Never mind, got it figured out. After turning on the machine, I had to hold down the ON/OFF button for 3 secs to get into programming mode.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”