Automatic Boiler Off on Power Up

What would you change about your LaSpaziale espresso machine?
NewEnglandCliff

Automatic Boiler Off on Power Up

Post by NewEnglandCliff »

Most of the time I make espresso only. I don't need the water boiler for that. Having the 15amp model, EVERY time I turn the machine on I have to then turn the boiler off. There should be a way to set it, optionally, where it won't turn the boiler on after startup. Then, instead of turning the boiler off each and every time it's powered up, you would only have to turn the boiler on for the occasional time that you want steam or hot water. This has got to be an easy modification and I think most home users would prefer it that way.

NEC
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Automatic Boiler Off on Power Up

Post by chas »

NEC, I was just going back reviewing the threads in this section to see if we have gotten anything we asked for. As for this one, still nada on the V1 or V2. However, the Mini does this in case you want to trade yours in for a Mini.

The V1/V2 remember only the state of Economy mode. The Mini doesn't have Economy mode - at least from the front panel - so it remembers Boiler mode. It hard to believe that the microprocessor doesn't have a way to store both states through a power down, but that's the way it is for now.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
NewEnglandCliff

Post by NewEnglandCliff »

Thanks for the update. I think that'd be an even more desirable feature with those having the new timer now, if they only make espresso. The machine will be on and waiting for you when you get home from work, for example, but unnecessarily using power or creating excess heat. I don't have one. For me just making espresso It's not such a big deal since I just touch the boiler button on power on. I never leave the machine on either, turning it off after my one daily espresso.

I may have been wrong on my last statement in the first post though - I think more people actually make milk drinks than not, or want hot water for americanos or tea.
Last edited by NewEnglandCliff on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endo

Post by Endo »

NewEnglandCliff wrote:Thanks for the update. I think that'd be an even more desirable feature with those having the new timer now, if they only make espresso. The machine will be on and waiting for you when you get home from work, for example, but unnecessarily using power or creating excess heat. For me just making espresso I don't have one. It's not a big deal for me since I just touch the boiler button on power on. I never leave the machine on either, turning it off after my one daily espresso.

I may have been wrong on my last statement in the first post though - I think more people actually make milk drinks than not, or want hot water for americanos or tea.
Yes. You do sacrifice somewhat in terms of drink production (volume) when you buy the Mini, but this "boiler off" memory feature is very nice for the home "espresso only" user.

My wife is getting in the habit of just hitting the "boiler" button to signal me that she wants a Latte. :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I wonder if you could just add a simple on/off toggle in the power feed line to the steam boiler element without screwing up something in the black box.

Return to “Suggested Improvements”