Preinfusion

What would you change about your LaSpaziale espresso machine?
Johan Lindroos

Preinfusion

Post by Johan Lindroos »

God morning from Sweden!

New to this forum, I see a lot of knowledge here on La Spaziale.

I am wondering to upgrade to S1, from a Wega Miniwega.

One of my main concerns about the S1 is that it maybe doesn
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

I don't think that there is preinfusion in the classic E61 sense nor in auto operation of the pump. But then, I really don't think that it is needed. I suppose that you can always do it manuallly, if you simply must..

Bob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've never tried it but I guess you could program the single cup button to run just enought water into the puck to soak it without any dripping out. Based on the double PF loaded with as much coffee as fits this seems to be around 3/4 oz. Then program the two cup button to deliver the remaining ~1.75oz or whatever floats you shot glass.

Then you can press the one cup button. wait as long as you want after it shuts off, then press the two cup button.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
Johan Lindroos

Post by Johan Lindroos »

That seems to be a good idea. :)

If you look at this machine for example:
Reneka claims preinfusion as one of the main features.

I think this is the machine on the market which looks similar to S1. It has the same features such as temperature control and separate boiler for water and steam. It has a massive metal substructure which is probably good for continous power on. But I wonder how long time it can take to heat up for home use, probably longer time than the S1. It also lacks variable steam flow which I consider strange, especially since all other Reneka machines has it.
barjohn

Post by barjohn »

I don't know if S-1 has pre-infusion or not but it takes almost 5-6 seconds from start before first coffee appears from spout.
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

The sales rep at the Atlanta SCAA called it "Natural Infusion" which I took to mean that the grinds get wet. ;0))

Bob
wgaggl

Natural Preinfusion

Post by wgaggl »

Yes, I believe the S1 is using natural preinfusion.
Natural infusion basically is an air chamber that has to be filled up, while the air in it compressed, before the full pressure can build up. Many people (including me) think it works as well as pump driven preinfusion. On the downside, the water has to clear out of the air chamber after the pull, as the pressure decays. It seems more likely that you have a wet puck after pulling your shot with natural preinfusion.
Johan Lindroos

Re: Natural Preinfusion

Post by Johan Lindroos »

wgaggl, I think you are on the right track here. I hope the S1 has some kind of preinfusion. If so, I think LaSpaziale should emphasize a little more on that.
barjohn

Post by barjohn »

That would explain the sort of wooshing sound that increases in pitch as the unit starts and also explain why it takes so long before the first drop appears.
elaizapsal

Post by elaizapsal »

Regarding the S-1 Vivaldi! I have done a little research as I have an S1 myself and the answer is no, it does not have a preinfusion in the old school, traditional sense. It does not have a designated chamber within the group for preinfusion.
What it does have is a natural pre-infusion. Because of the cold water system that La Spaziale utilizes they use a smaller nozzle or gigleur reducing the flow of water to the group, which causes a natural pre-infusion. It also has 2 showers with holes that do not align that allows an extra infusion by slowing down the flow of water before it has contact with the coffee in the filter handle. And most importantly, it has the nicest extraction, I think, out there from a 1 group machine.
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

admin wrote:I've never tried it but I guess you could program the single cup button to run just enought water into the puck to soak it without any dripping out. Based on the double PF loaded with as much coffee as fits this seems to be around 3/4 oz. Then program the two cup button to deliver the remaining ~1.75oz or whatever floats you shot glass.

Then you can press the one cup button. wait as long as you want after it shuts off, then press the two cup button.
Has anyone tried manual infusion?

Bob
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Admin: I also thought about using the one-cup button for preinfusion. But one difference to real preinfusion is, that once the shot is done, the release valve releases the pressure and messes up the top of the carefully tamped puck. It doesn't work that way. For pump driven preinfusion you've got to hold the pressure and not activate the release valve, but you also have to close the valve to the brewing boiler, because once the pump stops (like by putting a switch into the motor cable) pressure drops to water line pressure and some of the pre-brewed coffee would flow back to the boiler.
Bob: What do you mean by maual infusion?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Good point. I retract my dumb idea.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Preinfusion

Post by chas »

2008 finally brought this to all models. Chalk one up for us!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “Suggested Improvements”