Thor PF Handles

Post photos and descriptions of your S1 V1, S1 V2, and/or S1 Dream coffee set ups here.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Thor PF Handles

Post by chas »

I had Les of Thor Tamper fame make wooden handles for my two S1 portafilters. If anyone is interested in something like this for their S1 his website is http://thortamper.com. He charged me $65 incl shipping for the pair. He has posted a photo he took of them on the home page of his site but here's another photo I took after installing them on my portafilters.

Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Weska

Post by Weska »

Pretty stuff. Tempting even, but one practical question arises. The handles presumably screw off readily, don't they? Otherwise, how would you do your portafilter soaks?
Niko

Post by Niko »

I always dunk them in water.
I also soak them in detergent every week (about 100C) in boiling water. The dark one I've had since last year (Aug?) sometime and that one has the most mileage without a sign of wearing. They do screw right off but I use a thread locker to make it more permanent.
They're art, functional art that makes the machine(s) more enjoyable and they have the right feel.
I hate when there's a lot of plastic.
I'm thinking of ditching the steam knob for a wood one, the side panels wouldn't be a bad idea to replace either but that can get really expensive.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You're braver than I. I always unscrew the handles first, but it's nice to know they can stand up to Cafiza.

For those interested in ordering, Les actually has you provide him some measurements of your PF since there is so much variance. That way he can ensure that the wooden handle aligns perfectly with the metal on the handle.

Here's what I provided him when I ordered mine:

Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Weska

Post by Weska »

Interesting indeed that the wood will take a weekly soaking without any ill effects. That makes it no less convenient than the stock handles. Still more tempting. Thank you, Chas, for the how-to on ordering these from Les.

Niko, pushing the envelope again with wooden side panels, are you? Good. That might even be too much. How about a compromise with a nicely shaped wood panel that would be set into or glued onto the plastic?

It would sort of conform to the general outline of the edges, which would make it kind of free form, almost like the back of a violin or guitar. Maybe the piece that comes out for the drip tray would be too weak, and a separate horizontal piece should float there. The wood and finish would, of course, match your tamper, pf handles, and soon-to-be steam knob.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I usually don't go past the wood when I dunk them into Cafiza.
Every week I line up my goods for the detergent cleaning in a big metal pot, baskets, shower screens, brass diffuser, etc.. Along with a healthy teaspoon of Cafiza and scorching hot 212 degree water (I make sure it's really bubbling boiling hot) and I pour in the hot water. The portafilters, sometimes as many as 4 at a time (depending how dirty) all get a soaking up to the chromed brass exactly where it meets the wood. I try to avoid the wood by pouring precisely to that level, most of the time it works although the wood was hit on occassion with no ill effects. But here's the nice part, I let those nice portaliters sit in that hot water for at least 45 minutes and nothing's happened to them yet so far. I've only had the Desert Ironwood and Cocobolo handles for about a week and the other (Black Palm) one survived dozens of "Cafiza Nights at Nikos" since last Fall.
They've been soaked under hot water in the sink and spigot many times to rinse out grinds after every shot and the do get hit on the wood as well at times so I'm not too worried since I wipe them down a lot.
As for the sizes I sent to Les, I didn't...he's done so many of these that he's got it down to a science for the Spaz machines now.
Update: here's a Cafiza Bath in a small pot.

Return to “Pride Page”