From Krups in the closet to S1 in the garage...

Post photos and descriptions of your S1 V1, S1 V2, and/or S1 Dream coffee set ups here.
alsterling

From Krups in the closet to S1 in the garage...

Post by alsterling »

From taking the Krups out of the closet at the end of '05, and through a self-emersion course in specialty coffee, I ended up building a small commercial-type test counter in the garage. My refridgerator is to the left, with an ice maker. I enjoy all phases of the specialty coffee and beverage industry, and am in the process of adding a Blend-Tech unit. As you can see, I do stock an assortment of syrups and sauces, plus the usual chocolate ants and colored sprinkles. (You do this for the kids that visit, right?) I've only got 6 feet to work with, which also helps me better understand the restrictions of a cart or kiosk setup. Fixtures are from Lowes and Home Depot. The pre-painted cabinet was $250, the formica counter, $50, the bar sink with faucet combo, $35 and the various counter-top accessories are from Bed-Bath and Beyond or Linen and Things kitchen departments. I'm still adding to and changing things here and there.
Attachments
espresso bar_236k_03 11 08.jpg
coffeeowl

Re: From Krups in the closet to S1 in the garage...

Post by coffeeowl »

Nice!
Nice!
Nice!
Nice!
Nice!
Wow! my first post on the forum after the changes... I like that too! :)
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

Pawel, nice to meet you and the others on this site. I'm just wondering, can you share your city location? Our neighbors are from Poland, and yet your references are, well, a bit Asian? (Singapore, part-time maybe) I spent nearly 1 1/2 years in Ubon, Thailand, living in a Lao village. My time with the people included temple activities. (couldn't help but recognize the verse from your forum signature)

As for equipment, I'm one who actually likes the design of the S1. I spend much time with architects and designers, and have a commercial art background. For me, the Vivaldi series is one of the most attractive espresso brewing devices out there. This is one of my favorite shots of my machine. (self-admiration for a material possesion.....while not a notable trait, better than picking my nose in public!)
Attachments
Working Tools_256k_02 03 07.jpg
zoey

Post by zoey »

Hey! That's a nice setup you've got there!

Do you have any problems with dust due to the garage door being opened/cars entering and exiting?

My garage is more of a "Men's Crisis Center". It's a safe haven where most women are afraid to visit. For the first time in over three years of owning the house, my wife finally decided to actually open some cabinets in the garage to see what was in them.

Of course I had to show her some of my prized tools. :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

A very nice set up! Much tidier then the average guys garage. I agree about the S1 design, its a nice change from the typical shiny box & the plastic keeps it cooler. Stuffing 2 boilers inside a small metal box is not a good idea. Nice grinder! Did you see the mod I posted for the worm adjuster?
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

Zoey.....nice to meet you.

Well, my wife and I moved into a typical California home. We don't have a basement, but we do have a 3 car garage. For us, the garage is much like someone's all purpose basement. Even though my wife garages her car there, we keep a pretty organized garage. I'm a tool guy, one of everything, and my shop area occupies about 25% of the garage, but organized into a corner area. We also have cabinets all around the perimeter. There really isn't much dust. For many years, I had either linoleum and/or carpeting in the garage of our other homes. Here I've got a carpeted area in front of the bar, and the counter is on the other side of the downstairs bath wall. It's also closest to the door leading into the house and farthest from the garage doors. Maybe that's why?
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

JohnB wrote:............Did you see the mod I posted for the worm adjuster?

John, I vaguely remember reading about a mod in CG or HB? Where is it? My "mod" to the grinder was basically striping out all the guards so I could use my 1" foam brush to clear the chute after each grind cycle. I also bought a 0-60 second Time-O-Lite analog darkroom timer, that came with a footswitch. I've got the footswitch on the counter, just behind the sink. All my electrical is under the counter, along with the timer. I love it, as I can just tap the switch and walk away to do other prep. It's runs long enough to grind and then gives me a few seconds to clear the chute with a 1" foam bruch. Of course, it auto-resets after it times out.

One thing I've noticed on many of the Vivaldi setup photos is a timer, just like mine, mag-mounted to the right side of the front panel. Mine's a Westbend that I got at Bed Bath and Beyond. As I've always said..........."Great minds run in the same gutter!" (...or something like that.)

Al
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I removed both guards & that funky plastic sliding tongue first day I got the grinder. Here's the link to the mod for the worm drive:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espres ... ers/349880 I've got the Westbend timer also but the magnet feel off months age so I use the stand.
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

Hey John, thanks for giving me the link.....

I did view that post awhile back, and I suppose I never did it because I'm usually grinding either Malabar Gold, my prime blend, or "sometimes" running alternate blends or SO's. But I rarely go farther from the Malabar setting, (the finest I use), than one full whole number coarser. I also have my old MDF, which I do use for occassionally grinding American drip blends. When I have stale or old beans, I like to see what they taste like brewed in a pour-over Mellita cone, etc. (It's usually a taste disaster, but that childhood curiousity thing...)

I saw GaryH posted his version of the mod. I haven't spoken to him for awhile now. On my last business trip to the Bay Area, he took me to some well known espresso spots in the San Jose, Santa Cruz area. BTW, are you still envious of his photo-montage layouts? I use Coreldraw, a graphics program like Adobe Illustrator, to setup photosets like Gary. I don't know if you noticed, in my setup photo, the light wood framed, beige glass sign on the wall over my bar. I'm in the sign industry and graphics, and one of my larger clients found out I was coffee nut, and gave me one of their inventory items; it's a Williams-Sonoma coffee dept. sign.

It's time to go downstairs and brew our morning Brasilian cafezinho, a traditional brew in our house. I actually don't make all my coffee on the S1 ! (this is the most basic of all brewing techniques...boil the water, dump in the coffee and sugar, stir, pour through filtering sock!) That, plus a Brasilian pastry called "Hoska" and I'm pretty much in diabetic heaven!
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

As I've mentioned in my mod thread the primary reason I did it in the first place was to simplify the cleaning process. I can spin off the entire upper burr assy w/hopper in a few seconds, no tools required. The coarsest I go is when I grind for my Aeropress which is only half a number up from my Espresso setting. I vacuum out the grinder/doser daily, tear it down once a week for a more thorough cleaning & remove the burrs from their mounts once a month to get the grinds that collect underneath. Before the mod this was a time consuming PITA, now it only takes a few minutes.

Gary's photo montage was pretty trick so yes I am definitely envious. I also enjoy other "non Espresso" methods of coffee preparation. This week I tried two new methods & I'm very happy with both.

The first is using these "brew in the cup" filters from Harney's Tea: http://www.harney.com/permanentfilters.html I've gotten some excellent cups brewing right in my travel mug using similar amounts & brew time to my Press. I prefer the flavors I'm getting over what I got using the same beans in my Press & Aeropress. Very little sediment in the cup & no bitterness.

The second method is the Toddy Cold Brew system that arrived just in time to help get us through the current heat wave. The concentrate makes an excellent Iced Coffee which is a very popular summer beverage here in the northeast. I haven't turned on the V2 since Friday as its too hot/humid to think about a hot coffee & I don't want the extra heat in the kitchen. In my travels through the mid west Iced Coffee was virtually unheard of & very hard to find. Is it popular on the west coast?

I was admiring your signage/coffee shrine. Since my coffee set up has to share a small kitchen there is no room for wall decorations but that will change once we get the new kitchen built.

Your Brasilian cafezinho sounds like Cowboy Coffee except I think they filtered it with their teeth. :lol:
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

JohnB wrote:As I've mentioned in my mod thread the primary reason I did it in the first place was to simplify the cleaning process.........Gary's photo montage was pretty trick so yes I am definitely envious.........I also enjoy other "non Espresso" methods of coffee preparation...........alternate brewing methods; The first is using these "brew in the cup" filters from Harney's Tea: http://www.harney.com/permanentfilters.html ...... The second method is the Toddy Cold Brew system that arrived just in time to help get us through the current heat wave..........In my travels through the mid west Iced Coffee was virtually unheard of & very hard to find. Is it popular on the west coast?........Since my coffee set up has to share a small kitchen there is no room for wall decorations but that will change once we get the new kitchen built....Your Brasilian cafezinho sounds like Cowboy Coffee except I think they filtered it with their teeth. :lol:
John, that's right, you did mention the ease in accessing the burrs for cleaning. I've yet to do that, but have used my Grindz tabs, but frankly, infrequently. I'm thinking I'll pull the screws on the grinder just to look at the burrs!

As for the graphics setup, if you would like more "info" on the graphics program, just email me with your phone and we can talk. I can help you out.

Iced coffee, in so many variations, is really "hot" out here during the summer months, and even in our winter months. (You know the routine...West Coast winters run in the mid 60's F, please don't mock our fragile physiology!) I live about 15 minutes from Big Train, one of the industries larger blended drink manufacturers. I'm trying to find some time to visit them at their facility and demo kitchen. I do go to coffee trade shows when they're on the coast and I can coordinate it with one of my sales trips.

I have to leave right now. But late today, if I have time, I want to check out your brewing links.

I'm going to take my oldest grandaughter and her friends out in the marina and breakwater area at Dana Point today. We have alot of sea lions and seals in the harbor right now, and the kids enjoy getting as close as we can, safely, and seeing them in their natural habitat. (well, OK......climbing up the launch ramp and begging for food at the Harbor Deli may not be their "natural habitat"......but in a really sick way, it is sorta' cute!?) They're going to be there around 11a pst, and I've got to get the boat organized for 8 little 8 year olds! That's a good age, I think. They're still manageable, and not total smarty-pants yet. (Definition of grandchildren.....God's reward to parents that don't kill their teenage offspring!)

As for coffee shrines, etc......you know my setup. There was a thread that addressed "kitchen vs garage" , and I, obviously, supported my reasons for being in the garage. Frankly, there's this coffee aroma, much like an espresso shop, that permeates (sp?) the garage when I do my coffee thing. Roasting is way more pungent! So I've never thought I could transfer all that to the house. Our kitchen isn't even close to being big enough to manage all my stuff, and I don't think I could work in a smaller area than what I have now. If I move to retail in the future, I doubt I'll have the same passion for as large a setup as I have now. ("Busman's holiday thing.)

Al
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

alsterling wrote:Pawel, nice to meet you and the others on this site. I'm just wondering, can you share your city location? Our neighbors are from Poland, (...)
I'm from Poland!
couldn't help but recognize the verse from your forum signature
:D
we need a praying smiley... or prostrating one... or both! 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

alsterling wrote: I'm going to take my oldest grandaughter and her friends out in the marina and breakwater area at Dana Point today. We have alot of sea lions and seals in the harbor right now, and the kids enjoy getting as close as we can, safely, and seeing them in their natural habitat. (well, OK......climbing up the launch ramp and begging for food at the Harbor Deli may not be their "natural habitat"......but in a really sick way, it is sorta' cute!?) They're going to be there around 11a pst, and I've got to get the boat organized for 8 little 8 year olds! That's a good age, I think. They're still manageable, and not total smarty-pants yet. (Definition of grandchildren.....God's reward to parents that don't kill their teenage offspring!)
Al
I very good friend of mine lives in Dana Point & runs his own business as a commercial/residential Electrician. You are a brave man to chaperone that many 8 year olds but I'm sure it was a fun trip as long as no one got sea sick. I hear you on the teenage thing but I'm still a few years away from Grandchildren.

Heres a link to the Toddy set up: http://www.toddycafe.com/ You will find that many highly regarded cafes use the commercial version to make their Iced Coffee base.
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

John......thanks for the link. Yes, Sunday was nice, but man, I'm sitting at my desk way too much. My muscles were dog-tired yesterday when I got home. For me, one of my best times to have an Iced Cold Coke, is after getting the boat back into its storage space. I'm right at the Dana Point Embarcadero Marina, so there's no driving. However, you still have to clean, flush and recover the boat. That takes about an hour by myself....while family and friends are somewhere else relaxing! :cry: Anyway, I took the kids around the marina and just outside the breakers, and they visited the Ocean Institute and Aquarium right there. So overall, they had a great time.

I'm working at home today on a national point of purchase display I've wanted to do for a few years now. (stuff gets put aside for other stuff syndrome) I'm going to take one of the prototypes to a local retailer and do some photography and a press release set. Today is jeans and the office; that's why I'm breaking up my work with some mental "coffee diversions." I do about 2-3 cap's when I'm at home, which may explain my "grouchy old man attitude" when a reseller calls. (I could get so much more done without being interupted by customers....know what I mean!??) :roll:

I'd appreciate your sending me your friends contact info, as I want to move my 220vac service from the laundry room to the garage, and might consider some "pro assistance." I hope he's busy, as construction and such is down right now.(alsterling@earthlink.net) I'll move it through the spam filter.

Return to “Pride Page”